Tennessee Coaching Salaries

nemosgold

Reaction score
From Sporting News Today:

Tennessee announced its salary structure for its football staff: Lane Kiffin
(coach), $2 million; Monte Kiffin (defensive coordinator), $1.2 million; Ed Orgeron (defensive line, recruiting), $650,000; Jim Chaney (offensive coordinator), $380,000; Lance Thompson (LBs), $350,000; Eddie Gran (RBs/special teams), $185,000; James Cregg (TEs/tackles), $150,000; David Reaves (QBs), $150,000; Frank Wilson (WRs), $150,000; Willie Garza (DBs), $110,000.

Are our current salaries posted anywhere?

another question

Are the funds that athletics bring in at Minnesota strictly for use in the athletic dept. or do they go into the general U coffers? I read an article about UT's ridiculous spending and it stated that the athletic dept. is basically run on its own with the money they bring in and its up to them wether to 'donate' extra money to the school.

When you sell out a 108,000 seat stadium, a 20,000 seat basketball arena, and draw 75% to that arena for WBB; you have the $$$ to pay assistants like that.

From Sporting News Today:

Tennessee announced its salary structure for its football staff: Lane Kiffin
(coach), $2 million; Monte Kiffin (defensive coordinator), $1.2 million; Ed Orgeron (defensive line, recruiting), $650,000; Jim Chaney (offensive coordinator), $380,000; Lance Thompson (LBs), $350,000; Eddie Gran (RBs/special teams), $185,000; James Cregg (TEs/tackles), $150,000; David Reaves (QBs), $150,000; Frank Wilson (WRs), $150,000; Willie Garza (DBs), $110,000.

Are our current salaries posted anywhere?

We're not even close to that. Fisch just signed on for $325k ($200k + $125 bonus for staying on through 3/1/10). Cosgrove was less than that, I think ~$250k. I believe, $100,000< position coaches <$200,000, although I'm not sure how much extra Cross is getting for being RC, Davis is getting for RGC, and what bump Lee go for being co-DC. Brew is somewhere around $1mm but he will get a raise when he negotiates the contract extension that Maturi said he will get.

What difference does it make? The U isn't going to be close. But no one else is either.

Tennessee seems to be very proud that they are shattering all records with what they are paying their staff. Their website has it very prominently displayed. Unfortunately for Tennessee, there is no evidence that suggests this ever translates to winning.

Ferentz broke the Big Ten record with his SEC-like salary. Iowa has been good, but they haven't won any national championships. Meanwhile, Joe Paterno makes less money than Tenessee's Defensive Line Coach ... and Tennessee will probably still stink.

Are the funds that athletics bring in at Minnesota strictly for use in the athletic dept. or do they go into the general U coffers? I read an article about UT's ridiculous spending and it stated that the athletic dept. is basically run on its own with the money they bring in and its up to them wether to 'donate' extra money to the school.

I'm pretty sure the athletic dept is not helping to fund the rest of the U. The athletic dept. borrowed money from the general fund to pay the buyouts of Monson & Mason. We merged the women's and men's athletic dept and planned to cut sports a few years ago because the athletic dept was in the red. However, last I heard the athletics does a great job of indirectly helping to fund parking & transportation because athletics does not get a cut of parking revenues generated by athletic events.

Also from the TN site ...

All assistant coach contracts have liquidated damage clauses that would require the coach to pay the university approximately six months of their total 2009 compensation should they leave for a position equal to or less than their current position.

That would have been a nice clause to have in Ted Roof's contract.

I know the Nebraska athletic department as well receives no university or state funding, it is entirely self sufficient.

We're not even close to that. Fisch just signed on for $325k ($200k + $125 bonus for staying on through 3/1/10). Cosgrove was less than that, I think ~$250k. I believe, $100,000< position coaches <$200,000, although I'm not sure how much extra Cross is getting for being RC, Davis is getting for RGC, and what bump Lee go for being co-DC. Brew is somewhere around $1mm but he will get a raise when he negotiates the contract extension that Maturi said he will get.

I wish the University however wasn't wasting money on a recruiting coordinator(Dan Berezowitz) who doesn't coach on the field. Most universities just have one of the assistants assume that responsibility and it works quite well. We are paying him over $110,000 a year which could be used for the real coaches on the field.

What difference does it make? The U isn't going to be close. But no one else is either.

Tennessee seems to be very proud that they are shattering all records with what they are paying their staff. Their website has it very prominently displayed. Unfortunately for Tennessee, there is no evidence that suggests this ever translates to winning.

Ferentz broke the Big Ten record with his SEC-like salary. Iowa has been good, but they haven't won any national championships. Meanwhile, Joe Paterno makes less money than Tenessee's Defensive Line Coach ... and Tennessee will probably still stink.

huh? We have the 4th highest paid staff in the SEC right now. We were forced to get into this inane football arms race when certain schools decided to start competing with the NFL for coaches.

Just over 600k more than we paid last year's staff.

And as far as stinking next year goes, its possible... but I was a grad student for the last few years and it needed a change, some of the players were openly rebelling against their coaching staff... it was so institutionalized that Lane Kiffin let go of every single member of the support staff except some University employees in the Academic Support programs.

Hasn't South Carolina been trying this for years? SC has had Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier for the last 10+ years and they've never done better than the Outback Bowl.

If Tenn. really wants to win, they should just leave the SEC for the Big East and dominate every year.

Hasn't South Carolina been trying this for years? SC has had Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier for the last 10+ years and they've never done better than the Outback Bowl.

If Tenn. really wants to win, they should just leave the SEC for the Big East and dominate every year.

I don't know is South Carolina is a good comparison for Tennessee. South Carolina does not have the history of success that Tenn. does nor is it even the prominent football school in its own state, that goes to Clemson. Tenn. has no competition in the state and its facilities are amazing plus Knoxville is a lot nicer town that Columbia IMO. I think with Spurrier and Lou Holtz you got guys at the end of their career just looking to ride off into the sunset. In Spurriers case he has very publicly been a guy who states he will not go out and put in 80 hours a week, he just doesn't have that work ethic or believe in it. I think Lane Kiffin will as he is young and trying to prove himself.

Top Bottom