Tempo on O

MGGopher

Reaction score
One of the obvious trends of the early season is this offense plays MUCH better using tempo than a traditional approach. Happened late against UNC, at the end of multiple first halves, and of course the whole 4th quarter against Mich. I think this mostly has to do with the OL. When you’re going fast, the defense can’t call as many exotic stunts, twists, and coverages — let alone sub their DL. Our OL has held up on those drives fairly well in just big on big blocking, and Brosmer is smart enough to go through his progressions against the vanilla zone defenses that usually result when going hurry up.

Iknow it goes against every fiber of PJs being, but they need to mix in tempo. I’m not saying every drive, but at least half of drives they need a series of plays where they don’t huddle. They’re just not the grind it out, kill clock, dominate upfront team they’ve been in the past.

When down by 2+ possessions not running the play clock to zero, as I saw again in the second half, seems smart because…you might need another possession at the end. PJ has struggled with this essentially forever.

They have not been bleeding the clock as done historically all season to date.

Has to be giving Coach nightmares but it's a good thing.

Top Bottom