Ted Roof reportedly to be named DC at Penn State, 3rd program in five weeks

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I wonder what his favorite moment was the one month he was DC at Central Florida:

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2012/01/report_ted_roof_will_join_bill.html

I also wonder how many recruits he called to go to all three schools he's been at in the last five weeks?

Roof: Come to Auburn, it's a perfect fit for you.

Roof a few weeks later to the same recruit: Come to Central Florida, it's the perfect fit for you.

Roof four weeks after that to the same recruit: Come to Penn State, it's the perfect fit for you.

Go Gophers!!

Failing Upward: My Life As A College Football Coach, by Ted Roof.

How long was he the LB coach for U of L before joining the Gophs?

A month and a half. This will be his 6th job since November, 2007.

I wonder how much recruits and their parents look into the resume of a coach. For me, it would be hard to believe someone who talks about commitment, family, teamwork, etc. when they keep changing jobs.

I think about a week, but at least he could say that was a promotion. Here he just dumps one program for the same job at another. No chance I would ever hire a jumper like him, really pathetic. I am not a big O'Leary fan, but even he deserves better than that.

I can't understand why he is in such demand. He is average at best as far as DC's go. If he can't coach up a top-flight defense at Auburn, a school known for good defense down south and access to that fertile recruiting database, he's not a difference maker as a coach.

Lots of ideas to agree with in this thread. It has to say something about a guy that's not necessarily good when he moves around this much.

Have you ever looked at Bill Miller's resume? Just saying...

Almost all of Miller's coordinator positions were for 3-5 years, that seems relatively normal to me. He has bounced around a lot, but that has more to do with longevity than anything.

Bill Miller

Minnesota presumably 2 years
Kansas one year 2009
Louisville one year 2008
Western Michigan one year 2007
Arizona 2 years
Florida 2 years
Michigan State 4 years
Miami 4 years.

Recent history, the last 15 years of his career. Your range is a bit narrow compared to his last 6 employers. They were short and typical college coaching stops. Ted Roof job hopping looks to be no worse than Bill Miller's job hopping. I'm just saying...

Yes, I see a lot of 1 week and 3 week jobs there. Exactly the same.

When a job candidate has 3 offers in a month it is the result of good work history and the belief he can perform the job. Getting 3 offers and accepting is really not all that uncommon with very well qualified candidates. Too bad sour grapes don't make for fine wine.

When a job candidate has 3 offers in a month it is the result of good work history and the belief he can perform the job. Getting 3 offers and accepting is really not all that uncommon with very well qualified candidates. Too bad sour grapes don't make for fine wine.
I'm not asking you to justify it. I'm pointing out the their job hopping histories aren't the same.

It would be nice if you would point out how they are so different. He left Auburn for Central Florida and then got the nod from O'brien to go to Penn St. Bill Miller left places to do other things and jumping around 6 times in 15 years is a lot of jumping around. My comparison stands until somebody knocks it over with some rational points. Why is Miller so much better than Ted Roof? I'll start that thread so don't answer it here.

Top Bottom