TE depth, Why not use an OL?

Ole

Reaction score
To me at least, I see a glaring hole in TE where we were thin last year, we are thinner now.

Rabe and Goodger will be fine, maybe even great, but we used alot of TE's quite a bit last year, including sets with 3 at a time with some regularity.
I think everyone would like to see Williams and Anyanwu redshirt, both have great potential.
Any idea why Limegrover wouldn't put Bush or Leinkiwitz at TE for a year?
They've got to be better blockers than KGM or Alipate or the rest of the walk on types, and they might not see the field otherwise if everyone stays healthy.

Just a thought.

Edit: Creepy timing with the TE FSN report.

The TE position gets a lot of attention in Kill's offense. Not sure if the OL's can move, separated and have the hands to catch a ball.

The TE position gets a lot of attention in Kill's offense. Not sure if the OL's can move, separated and have the hands to catch a ball.

But if you've got one that can, throw him in there and save the depth.

I don't think Ole is envisioning an OT running down the field for 9 nine yards, getting open, and making a diving catch on 3rd and 8. In our offense, TE's are primarily blockers, so why not use some of our depth at O-line to our advantage given that we are thin at TE. I think it's an interesting idea and we'll see what the staff does. I really do think that KGM has a chance to be a solid TE for us, maybe not quite this year, but next year.

I don't think Ole is envisioning an OT running down the field for 9 nine yards, getting open, and making a diving catch on 3rd and 8. In our offense, TE's are primarily blockers, so why not use some of our depth at O-line to our advantage given that we are thin at TE. I think it's an interesting idea and we'll see what the staff does. I really do think that KGM has a chance to be a solid TE for us, maybe not quite this year, but next year.

Ya I understood that. Its a pretty common practice in run heavy situations but if you are using them heavily and they can't run a route, essentially it takes away from someone you have to cover. Or else it tips the offense to what you're doing. i think thats where pope was coming from

Ya I understood that. Its a pretty common practice in run heavy situations but if you are using them heavily and they can't run a route, essentially it takes away from someone you have to cover. Or else it tips the offense to what you're doing. i think thats where pope was coming from

I thought way back when Bush committed here he had mentioned the coaches putting him at TE if they needed him to play there. I think Goodger may have taken that role last year or maybe they saw Bush as having too much potential at T to waste a season as a blocking TE. I don't see Goodger running 15 yards downfield and outjumping a LB for a ball, but he certainly can line up and pound someone, but so could an OL in that role.
I was surprised they moved Heifort for this same reason, maybe Limegrover has evolved his offensive plan to include TE's much more in the passing game, hence the John Rabe hype so far this year.

I could see them putting in an extra OL once in awhile, but doubt anyone will get moved to TE permanently.

I could see them putting in an extra OL once in awhile, but doubt anyone will get moved to TE permanently.

Yeah, that's how I look at it. I think there will be times when we have 6 OL on the field, but I don't expect anyone to ever really be a TE.

Top Bottom