TDG - We now have 10 scholarship players

Assume that 10 includes Fox so would think they would want to add at least one more big guy to the roster to get to 10 active players.

Given the lack of front court depth it would seem highly likely that we will be seeing a lot of 3 guard sets this season.

Assume that 10 includes Fox so would think they would want to add at least one more big guy to the roster to get to 10 active players.

Given the lack of front court depth it would seem highly likely that we will be seeing a lot of 3 guard sets this season.
I'm guessing at least one more front court guy with Mitchell being the leading candidate. Maybe even add 2? I don't think they'll add more backcourt guys unless it's a high level guy.

I'm guessing at least one more front court guy with Mitchell being the leading candidate. Maybe even add 2? I don't think they'll add more backcourt guys unless it's a high level guy.
Doogie's podcast made Steffon Mitchell sound very promising. Basically said he is going through the NBA evaluation process right now, and if he doesn't declare then the Gophers have a very good chance.

I would love to add him, one true big (6'9+ 240+), and one more guard/ball handler. I'm not sure why I keep hearing that we aren't going to use all the scholarships...you might as well throw it at a one year guy who wants a shot in the B10.

Doogie's podcast made Steffon Mitchell sound very promising. Basically said he is going through the NBA evaluation process right now, and if he doesn't declare then the Gophers have a very good chance.

I would love to add him, one true big (6'9+ 240+), and one more guard/ball handler. I'm not sure why I keep hearing that we aren't going to use all the scholarships...you might as well throw it at a one year guy who wants a shot in the B10.
Only if they fit the culture Ben is trying to build. It's hard to keep 13 scholarship guys happy.

Only if they fit the culture Ben is trying to build. It's hard to keep 13 scholarship guys happy.
Ya, we are so good, we might only need to use 7 scholarships. Come on man! It's hard to keep the 5 guys who play the most happy. That's part of coaching.
PJ has 125 guys this year. He gonna keep them all happy?
Yet he's recruiting new guys right now to add competition for the summer workouts!!!

Ya, we are so good, we might only need to use 7 scholarships. Come on man! It's hard to keep the 5 guys who play the most happy. That's part of coaching.
PJ has 125 guys this year. He gonna keep them all happy?
Yet he's recruiting new guys right now to add competition for the summer workouts!!!
Football is a different animal and not a fair comp. Ben has said he doesn’t plan to fill scholarships this year. He’s not alone in the theory. Take it for what you want.

Ben's gonna fail anyways. year 3 he's in the hot seat, year 4 our finances are better and we get a real coach. Might as well save the money and not fill out the scholarships...said no winning program ever.

The year is going to be a struggle, no two ways about it. Let's just hope they can put a foundation in place that they can build on moving forward, and they will still have the selling point for next year of significant playing time. PT sells itself, it's what everyone wants. I'm hoping for the best!!
Side note: trying to figure out why on God's green earth they used a photo of him wearing a mask for that tweet? There had to be a dozen other better choices.... I would think we would want to see the face of the man that is the face of the program? Weird.

The year is going to be a struggle, no two ways about it. Let's just hope they can put a foundation in place that they can build on moving forward, and they will still have the selling point for next year of significant playing time. PT sells itself, it's what everyone wants. I'm hoping for the best!!
Side note: trying to figure out why on God's green earth they used a photo of him wearing a mask for that tweet? There had to be a dozen other better choices.... I would think we would want to see the face of the man that is the face of the program? Weird.

It doesn't. Sorry, but if it was that easy, bottom tier P5 programs could land top recruits by just saying "hey, we offer playing time".

It takes:

1) The recruit believing so much in the coaches recruiting him, that the recruit doesn't see any other program being a better match for not just the recruits skill set, but also the recruits individual goals, if that is NBA, or win an NCAA championship, etc

I had the same thought on the mask. I feel like you could definitely have a picture of him NOT wearing a mask. But what we do I know?

Well, one would be sitting out in all likelihood so we're talking 12 at most. As the other poster said, for multiple players this will be one-year gig only. At least a handful of these players won't be contributing to any long-term culture anyway. Leaving open scholarships would be silly. One or two guys get hurt and one or two guys leave the team (JUST LIKE THIS PAST SEASON) and all of a sudden your roster is considerably shorter than you thought it would be. In fact, we've had variations of this theme in at least half of Pitino's seasons.

I can't believe that someone who experienced the Pitino years would be talking about the risks to "culture" from filling roster spaces. The risks come from short and/or undeveloped rosters. Hopefully, Ben's assembly of an old team at least mitigates the "undeveloped" part somewhat. Anyone who presents a major challenge to team "culture" can be kicked off the team if and when that does happen.

Good point. Building the culture and attitude of a scrappy team that plays defense and outworks the opponent is probably the most important thing that can happen on the court next year.

But that argument can cut both ways. We will have a ton of turnover next year (as much as 8-9 scholarships, I'm guessing). Why not recruit a 13th high character guy who can help build up the intangibles and will actually be here to help implement them for the 2022-2023 season?

I would honestly be fine with a project HS player at this point. I'm usually not. But we just have so many scholarships to work with at this point it would be good to get another body on the team IMO.

Well, one would be sitting out in all likelihood so we're talking 12 at most. As the other poster said, for multiple players this will be one-year gig only. At least a handful of these players won't be contributing to any long-term culture anyway. Leaving open scholarships would be silly. One or two guys get hurt and one or two guys leave the team (JUST LIKE THIS PAST SEASON) and all of a sudden your roster is considerably shorter than you thought it would be. In fact, we've had variations of this theme in at least half of Pitino's seasons.

I can't believe that someone who experienced the Pitino years would be talking about the risks to "culture" from filling roster spaces. The risks come from short and/or undeveloped rosters. Hopefully, Ben's assembly of an old team at least mitigates the "undeveloped" part somewhat. Anyone who presents a major challenge to team "culture" can be kicked off the team if and when that does happen.

This is a quote directly from Ben's interview with the Pioneer Press. Disagree with it all you want, but it's not a view that only Ben shares.

Do you have four scholarships open?

I believe so. In today’s day and age, I don’t think you can fill all 13. I think the days that you see a team fill 13 are few and far between. If they do, it will be unique because you can’t keep all 13 guys happy.

If you truly believe culture can't be started this year, then I can understand your view. I strongly disagree that it can't start this year. It will need to be developed and started so that guys like Battle, Fox, and Ihnen can instill it in our likely 5-6 prep players we are bringing in 2022-23. I also don't subscribe that just kicking a guy off the team will rid the team of the issues. Once that stuff festers, it can take awhile to clean out. If Ben fills out his scholarships this year, it'll likely be because he gave a walk on one in the fall.

Good point. Building the culture and attitude of a scrappy team that plays defense and outworks the opponent is probably the most important thing that can happen on the court next year.

But that argument can cut both ways. We will have a ton of turnover next year (as much as 8-9 scholarships, I'm guessing). Why not recruit a 13th high character guy who can help build up the intangibles and will actually be here to help implement them for the 2022-2023 season?

I would honestly be fine with a project HS player at this point. I'm usually not. But we just have so many scholarships to work with at this point it would be good to get another body on the team IMO.

I think if these guys present themselves, they will take them, however I'd expect Ben and staff to be exerting the rest of their efforts in a strong 2022 class and not look to add a ton more to this years roster.

This is a quote directly from Ben's interview with the Pioneer Press. Disagree with it all you want, but it's not a view that only Ben shares.

I believe so. In today’s day and age, I don’t think you can fill all 13. I think the days that you see a team fill 13 are few and far between. If they do, it will be unique because you can’t keep all 13 guys happy.

If you truly believe culture can't be started this year, then I can understand your view. I strongly disagree that it can't start this year. It will need to be developed and started so that guys like Battle, Fox, and Ihnen can instill it in our likely 5-6 prep players we are bringing in 2022-23. I also don't subscribe that just kicking a guy off the team will rid the team of the issues. Once that stuff festers, it can take awhile to clean out. If Ben fills out his scholarships this year, it'll likely be because he gave a walk on one in the fall.
So the Michael Hurt's of the CBB world are over?

I think if these guys present themselves, they will take them, however I'd expect Ben and staff to be exerting the rest of their efforts in a strong 2022 class and not look to add a ton more to this years roster.
Good point. I wonder how much of his attention/time he is focusing on 2022 recruits vs. this year's roster. Holloman and the other guys are so important to his future.

Again, you're taking an answer in an off-the-cuff interview as gospel and an absolute predictor of the future. I hope you don't work in the national security area. Had you been around in 1938, you probably really would have believed that Hitler had no more territorial ambitions after the Sudentenland because he said so.

As I've said before, even with 13 scholarships, the active roster likely is only 12.

if they need a couple of extra bodies for practice, they should be able to find a walk-on or two to serve as practice players and fill out uniforms on the bench.

I would rather go that route as opposed to handing out a scholarship to someone who is not going to see any meaningful playing time unless the team is hit with multiple serious injuries.

there's a sales pitch: "hey, if the top 7 or 8 guys stay healthy, you're probably never going to see the court, but I need an insurance policy in case some better guys get hurt."

Again, you're taking an answer in an off-the-cuff interview as gospel and an absolute predictor of the future. I hope you don't work in the national security area. Had you been around in 1938, you probably really would have believed that Hitler had no more territorial ambitions after the Sudentenland because he said so.

As I've said before, even with 13 scholarships, the active roster likely is only 12.

Why even say it if it isn't true? Why did Musselman say it in interviews back when he was in Nevada? Why do tons of teams not actually fill their 13 scholarships until the fall when they hand them to walk ons? I'm just giving you examples of where they say it in public. If you think I'm just taking their interviews as full on examples that fine, but it's also just common roster construction. It's also more than 13 or 12, they will add at least two walk ons. You don't just give scholarships to give them now a days. Tons of teams strategize and stash at least one scholarship for a last fall, mid season transfer or now the newer thing will be early mid year graduates.

there's a sales pitch: "hey, if the top 7 or 8 guys stay healthy, you're probably never going to see the court, but I need an insurance policy in case some better guys get hurt."
"I'm going to give you a shot to compete at the highest level of college basketball. Nothing is given, everything is earned. If you outwork the competition you'll have a chance to showcase your talents against Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Purdue etc."

10 Schoalrship players right now. One (Fox) may or may not be back in mid-season. If we add Mr. Mitchell, we are really not in bad shape, numbers wise. If we add that Sengelaese center, it improves even more. I have disquiet about the upcoming year, sure, but it also may be one of the most interesting years to ever follow Gopher hoops program. "Who plays most? How is the team improving? Are we actually (finally) playing defense again?"

Last edited:

10 Schoalrship players right now. One (Fox) may or may not be back in mid-season. If we add Mr. Mitchell, we are really not in bad shape, numbers wise. If we add that Sengelaese center, it improves even more. I have disquiet about the upcoming year, sure, but it also may be one of the most interesting years to ever follow Gopher hoops program. "Who plays most? How is the team improving? Are we actually (finally) playing defense again?"
It would be much, much more interesting if the players we were watching were actually part of the future. Unfortunately that's not the case. That's not a knock on Ben, it just is what it is. The state of college hoops.

It would be much, much more interesting if the players we were watching were actually part of the future. Unfortunately that's not the case. That's not a knock on Ben, it just is what it is. The state of college hoops.
I mean half the team has eligibility for the following year. Fox, Battle, Thiam, Thompson, and Ihnen.

I mean half the team has eligibility for the following year. Fox, Battle, Thiam, Thompson, and Ihnen.
True, but the future is three years hence unless we get an epic recruiting haul this fall. Fair point though.

Top Bottom