TDG - Minnesota Football 2014 Breakout Candidates- Defense

For me, guys like Murray and Wilson broke out last year. I'd pick Myrick or Laster as guys poised to make a big jump.

Really feel like Wilson will be a stud/tackling machine for us this year. We're going to need him to have an All-B1G type season IMO and I think he will deliver

Based in this spring I would have to say Myrick.

Definitely Campbell. Kill has talked about how he has as much potential as Ra'Shede and he will be a full time starter next year. My breakout candidate for the entire team next year. Myrick would be my guy in the secondary and Scott Ekpe for a D-lineman breakout candidate. Poock, Lynn, Rallis, Laster or Dixon could break out as well. Also unless they had a 1st team all american type season i wouldn't consider guys like Cockran, Wilson, Murray Wells or any other starter that he mentioned to be a breakout player if they end up with All Big Ten honors.

Gonna go with my own sleeper to break out on the D-line, Scott Epke. Cockran will command more attention than he wants/deserves, and Boticelli will take up blockers on the inside - time for Epke to shine.

Didn't all those players already bust out in the last couple years? Except for Lynn everybody on that list has received big accolades at one point or another. Campbell in particular has a ton of hype to live up to. I would expect all of them to be better out of sheer experience and time in the training program. We know Derrick Wells and BBC are high level players when healthy. Cockran had a nice impact last year

When I think of breakout player I think of someone like David Cobb or our last few white speed receivers.

Someone like a Hinojosa or Ndondo-Lay or an Eric Carter or someone else flying under the hype radar.

It will be an incredible accomplishment if the defense plays better this year than last. We will know this team and coaching staff is for real if they can withstand the loss of some pretty big impact players.

Top Bottom