TCF Bank Stadium nickname contest

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
With all the concerning news about assistant coaches leaving or "pursuing other professional interests," I thought it might be fun to lighten the mood on this board.

Do you have a nickname for the new stadium (like the ol' Brickhouse (UofM Memorial Stadium), the Horseshoe (tOSU), or Mordor (Iowa))?

Here's mine:

(1) The Bank - Short and simple. It'll compound your interest in Gopher football. We'll foreclose on all visiting teams a$$es. The future of Gopher football is secure at The Bank. :D

(2) The Gold Vault (or Golden Vault) - Less snappy but fits in the TCF bank and Golden Gophers themes. :)

I like "The Vault." It has been used by enough people on GH that is obviously an easy nickname to pick up. I like its multiple connotations (as in the bank (TCF) or as in the place we're gonna bury the opponent).

That's my vote anyway.

How about the slaughterhouse? Or abattoir if you want to say the same thing but have it sound classy.

Yeah.....slaughterhouse!!!!

In honor of the old South St. Paul stockyards!

The Stockyard could work too. Personally, I would prefer to avoid a bank-related nickname.

I also think a nickname based upon the corporate sponsor is a little generic. The best nicknames are based on the characteristics of the Stadium iteself, like the aforementioned Brickhouse and Shoe.

How about the Barnyard, in honor of the Barn next door?

at the risk of being overly obvious how about the . . . . . . Gopherhole.

For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of referencing the sponsor (grateful though I am to them). Seems like a nickname should reference the the characteristics of the stadium, team or town. Might have to wait for one to emerge over time.

how about "the cradle of coaches"...everyone here moves on to something bigger/better....or just moves on...

But seriously, the stockyards isn't bad. I don't see why we can't use "The Brickhouse". Granted, it was used for Memorial stadium, but since that no longer exists, why not put the nickname to good use?

Quote: " I don't see why we can't use "The Brickhouse". Granted, it was used for Memorial stadium, but since that no longer exists, why not put the nickname to good use?

The best nickname is "The Brickhouse". But in order to distinguish it from Memorial Stadium the new Gopher Stadium should be called "The Brick".

Personally, I would prefer to avoid a bank-related nickname.

It's not going to do any good to run away from the name...it is what it is.

I've always gone by "The Vault". Teams go in, but they rarely come out. (Unlike coordinators).

I voted for "The Vault" but I could be talked into "The Brick" or "The Brickhouse"

The vault sounds forced. Brickyard or bank would be my vote.

- The Gopher Den

or

- The U

I know its not completely symmetrical. To me, the stadium looks like a U and we already call ourselves 'The U', it fits.

whack

you can't make a nickname or vote on a nickname, it has to come naturally. That is like giving yourself a nickname, it is completely lame.

Purely in jest, but ...

in light of the banking theme, I say we call it "The Cashbox" and tweak The Clash's "Rock the Casbah" to "Rock the Cashbox" for the theme song! Sorry, the best I could come up with.

The feedlot (farm related)

The hole (gophers live in a hole)

the crib (our house)

the piggy bank (farm and bank related, you know)

the pairie playgound (gophers live there)

you can't make a nickname or vote on a nickname, it has to come naturally. That is like giving yourself a nickname, it is completely lame.

Very true. I dont understand how people are trying to give the stadium a nickname. Right now I have been finding myself calling it the Gopher's Stadium - which to me is special enough because I was born the year the Gophers moved to the Dome. In my lifetime, there has never been a Gopher Football Stadium.

The New Brickhouse

Honestly this would be easy to get started....all they would have to do is have the announcer say 'welcome to TCF Bank Stadium the New Brickhouse'.

The Vault or The Bank would make me throw up in my mouth...sort of like at Wild games when the kid skates out to center ice with the stick and flag....its so forced its pathetic.
Come on, everyone say it with me...Let's play hockey (even more pathetic than the kid skating out to center ice.

The fog horn in the corner, can someone explain to me why we needed to put a light house in the X? I associate split rock light house with hockey all the time. Talk about ripping off the old Chicago Blackhawks with the train sound after a goal. At least the Blackhawks did it with an acutal organ.
\
Done with my rant.

The nickname will come from the student section. I think they will go with The Vault or The Bank as they don't have the historical reference that older Gopher fans have.

Top Bottom