Tanner Morgan compared to other quarterbacks at Minnesota Since 2000

Nobody would argue Morgan didn't have an amazing 2018 & 2019
I think that the perfect example of Morgan's 2019 season (and the 2020 bowl game) was this catch... and it wasn't even made by one the NFL-caliber receivers on the roster. Tanner benefited greatly with catches like this one in 2019... and that is just not something anyone can count on season to season. I'm hoping Morgan and Ciarocca can rekindle the magic in 2022.

There were a handful of great catches in 2019, but to imply that that particular catch is typical of Gopher receivers bailing out Morgan is laughable.

21 of 22 for 396 yards against Purdue.

18 of 20 in the huge win against Penn State.

31 TDs vs 7 INTs.

Morgan set many school passing records that season. It wasn't all because of circus catches.

Flip flop Adam Weber and Tanner Morgan’s rosters. Put Weber on this team, with a amazing Line; probably better skill positions and some mobility. The guy who really would do well with this line is Leidner. A dual threat who could run a power run option game.

All things considered, I would take Mitch and Webers run threat in this offense
Good point, flip-flop those two and there's a good chance we've got a thread asking if Weber is the best all-time.

Good point, flip-flop those two and there's a good chance we've got a thread asking if Weber is the best all-time.
Flip flop the rosters and there is a really good chance Adam Weber throws more than 7 picks in 2019 and the team doesn’t win as many games.

Focusing on QB wins is an interesting question for me philosophically. Firm believer that the team winning is the goal of any team sport, so a player contributing to my winning is more important to me as a fan than a player racking up individual stats. That said, team sports depend on a lot more than any one individual, so how much a player contributes to his team winning is different than how much the team wins while he is playing. Brad Johnson won more Super Bowls than Dan Marino, and Donovan Mcnabb won more game (and had a higher winning percentage) than Troy Aikman. I don't think that's because Brad Johnson had some "it" factor that Dan Marino didn't.

I think Morgan has been good. I think after 2019 most expected more that we have seen, maybe we will get that in 2022, I hope so. If not I hope there is another QB that can play.

As far as the question - I think AAK and probably AW was a more talented QB, but had a much poorer supporting cast around them both. AAK was a dual threat, good arm QB that had no defense and a much weaker WR group. He did have some great RBs though.

If I had to rank the QBs over the past 20+ years I would go:
AAK
Weber
Morgan
Cupito
Leidner
The rest
I tend to agree w this list. I would actually flip AAK and Weber.

If AW had our OL and our defense, I feel like his ints would be cut in half. Also, pass blocking in Dunbar's offense w Mason OL was garbage and then Jedd Fisch happened...

AAK will never be forgiven for throwing that pick 6 in the Mich 03 game. If that falls incomplete we likely win the game. I understand our defense was awful but as QB you have to understand that too

I think that the perfect example of Morgan's 2019 season (and the 2020 bowl game) was this catch... and it wasn't even made by one the NFL-caliber receivers on the roster. Tanner benefited greatly with catches like this one in 2019... and that is just not something anyone can count on season to season. I'm hoping Morgan and Ciarocca can rekindle the magic in 2022.
I think it's a stretch to think that Tanner's great 2019 season was mainly due to a massive increase in great catches, if that is what you are saying.

I tend to agree w this list. I would actually flip AAK and Weber.

If AW had our OL and our defense, I feel like his ints would be cut in half. Also, pass blocking in Dunbar's offense w Mason OL was garbage and then Jedd Fisch happened...

AAK will never be forgiven for throwing that pick 6 in the Mich 03 game. If that falls incomplete we likely win the game. I understand our defense was awful but as QB you have to understand that too
To be fair, he did house a 50 yard qb sneak on the following drive.

-50 rushing yards? That's not good.

I think Morgan has been good. I think after 2019 most expected more that we have seen, maybe we will get that in 2022, I hope so. If not I hope there is another QB that can play.

As far as the question - I think AAK and probably AW was a more talented QB, but had a much poorer supporting cast around them both. AAK was a dual threat, good arm QB that had no defense and a much weaker WR group. He did have some great RBs though.

If I had to rank the QBs over the past 20+ years I would go:
AAK
Weber
Morgan
Cupito
Leidner
The rest
I think I'd have it the same. Morgan's 2019 is the best single year of all of them, but he also had great talent. I think we (I'll say "I") undervalued AAK when he was here. We'd think of Weber as much better if he had stability and more talent around him.

I’d take Assad, Weber and maybe even Cupito over Morgan. Unless something significant changes in Morgan’s performance over the past three years, he gives us less chance to win in ‘22 than the named three would have.

I think I'd have it the same. Morgan's 2019 is the best single year of all of them, but he also had great talent. I think we (I'll say "I") undervalued AAK when he was here. We'd think of Weber as much better if he had stability and more talent around him.
Yeah and I think it makes sense. Weber holds all the records as a quarterback even though he went through a rough coaching period. In a better system/culture/whatever you want to call it, at the height of the Mason years or under Kill or Fleck, Weber probably excels.

How about throw aways?

Which QB had the best throw aways?
I think pass attempts matter when looking at stats. Tom Brady led the NFL in passing yards. There was 11 QBs with more yards per attempt.

I believe AW was the best qb we have had in my lifetime and I'm 45. If he had the receivers and O line TM had we may have won the big 10

All this talk is making me nostalgic. I love Tanner, but my all timer is Ricky Foggie. Oh, to see him in this current system would be Electric. Not the greatest career stats or wins but just my favorite.

I’d take Assad, Weber and maybe even Cupito over Morgan. Unless something significant changes in Morgan’s performance over the past three years, he gives us less chance to win in ‘22 than the named three would have.
Peak those three is better than non peak Morgan

I agree

Peak Morgan is better than peak those three

non Peak Morgan is better than non peak cupito,
non peak Weber and Khaliq I think it is closer I would probably take those two NOT playing their best over Morgan NOT playing his best.

That was a tough throw under pressure. Great catch and good throw considering the pressure in his face.

Top Bottom