Tamp Down Hype on Gophers Speedster

Edwards.....................

Hey Dave, I don't think anybody is going absolutely bonkers over this Edwards kid. I was at the scrimmage last Saturday to witness the 70 yard run by him.We'll wait until he
shows what he can do in real-game action. Nothing wrong with a little hype every now and then! Go Gophers!!:clap::clap:

Hey Dave, I don't think anybody is going absolutely bonkers over this Edwards kid. I was at the scrimmage last Saturday to witness the 70 yard run by him.We'll wait until he
shows what he can do in real-game action. Nothing wrong with a little hype every now and then! Go Gophers!!:clap::clap:

Agreed. I think most of us expect exactly what he described, that Edwards will have special packages and plays but won't be relied upon for heavy carries. I haven't heard anyone expect him to be our lead back.

For fun I was guessing the carries to get averaged out like this:
Kirkwood 13 per game
Williams 8 per game
Edwards 5 per game

I'm just thankful I could pull this up, click on the link, and not have it buried in a 28 page "All things Berkley Edwards" thread. Those "all things" threads have basically made the basketball board unreadable for me and I am thankful they are not commonly used here on the football board.

I'm looking forward to seeing Edwards run and I wonder how they will find enough carries for a big bruiser, a short bruiser, and a speedster during the B1G season, when they may often be playing from behind. Trust the coaches... I do.

For fun I was guessing the carries to get averaged out like this:
Kirkwood 13 per game
Williams 8 per game
Edwards 5 per game

if we're only running the ball 26 times a game, were in trouble.

Remember, this is going to be a much more run-oriented team this year. If they run 70 plays a game, I would expect a ratio of 45 runs to 25 passes, or even more slanted to the run game. And, they've said they want to cut back on the number of QB runs. So, there will be more than enough carries to go around. In the non-conf games, I bet they will use a lot of backs to evaluate in game situations. I think they know what they have in Kirkwood and Williams. They need to see more of Cobb, Gillum, Banham and Edwards.

I like the idea of using Berkley Edwads as a third down back if he gets pass blocking down. It would give the Coach Limegrover the maximum number of play calling options. Screen Pass, Read Option, or Draw all are more dangerous with Edwards in the backfield.

I'm looking forward to seeing Edwards run and I wonder how they will find enough carries for a big bruiser, a short bruiser, and a speedster during the B1G season, when they may often be playing from behind. Trust the coaches... I do.

If Wisconsin could do it with Ball and White last year, we can surely figure out how to make the tree back situaion work. I like to think we're a it smarter on this side of the fence

Since there's all this talk of touches in this thread, I looked up the stats from last year:

517 rushes, 330 passes (13 games)

39.77 rushes per game, 25.38 passes per game

61/39 split

I'd guess we end up closer to 50 carries a game this year (due both to leaning on the run even more and hopefully having a better offense resulting in more plays overall), with Kirkland getting around 20 a game (16.77 last year) and the other 30 being distributed among Nugget, Cobb, Edwards, and Nelson, with Leidner, Gillum and Banham each getting a handful as well.

Since there's all this talk of touches in this thread, I looked up the stats from last year:

517 rushes, 330 passes (13 games)

39.77 rushes per game, 25.38 passes per game

61/39 split

I'd guess we end up closer to 50 carries a game this year (due both to leaning on the run even more and hopefully having a better offense resulting in more plays overall), with Kirkland getting around 20 a game (16.77 last year) and the other 30 being distributed among Nugget, Cobb, Edwards, and Nelson, with Leidner, Gillum and Banham each getting a handful as well.

That never fails to make me chuckle. Well done, sir!

We also have (had) an "Edwads" in this thread, although was a simple typing error, made me laugh out loud. Might be fixed by now.

Now I'm waiting for the Nelsen, Liedner, Kirkland, Edwads, Gillium, Cobbs, and Banum singularity post. Oh wait...

Top Bottom