Talent for New Coach

akgo4

Reaction score
I'm new to this board, although I've been a Gopher fan since high school: My 2 questions are with what we have on hand for talent, when we're looking for a coach, what sort of scheme will work best? It's easy to throw names out there, but the person who we are going to bring in will want to win as much as possible right away. I personally don't think the talent is on hand to run a Leach-type system. Will we be able to get a coach who would have to wait to get his players into a system because of recruiting?

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 31

I'm new to this board, although I've been a Gopher fan since high school: My 2 questions are with what we have on hand for talent, when we're looking for a coach, what sort of scheme will work best? It's easy to throw names out there, but the person who we are going to bring in will want to win as much as possible right away. I personally don't think the talent is on hand to run a Leach-type system. Will we be able to get a coach who would have to wait to get his players into a system because of recruiting?

Well you don't hire a college coach based on the players you currently have, because those players will all be graduated (or moved on) and gone within the next few years. And we probably don't have the talent to run a Leach type system, but if we were to bring in Leach, it would be up to him to bring in the talent to fit his system, and that goes for any coach. They've got to build the team in their image, and that will take a few years to fully get that implemented.

Well you don't hire a college coach based on the players you currently have, because those players will all be graduated (or moved on) and gone within the next few years. And we probably don't have the talent to run a Leach type system, but if we were to bring in Leach, it would be up to him to bring in the talent to fit his system, and that goes for any coach. They've got to build the team in their image, and that will take a few years to fully get that implemented.[/QUOTE

I disagree respectfully to some extent because the new guy is stuck with what is there - will what we have scare some people off or an established coach who is thinking early success? I think it could. I think they could go option based on what there is to build on. Gray and/or Allipates athleticism has to be used.

Well you don't hire a college coach based on the players you currently have, because those players will all be graduated (or moved on) and gone within the next few years. And we probably don't have the talent to run a Leach type system, but if we were to bring in Leach, it would be up to him to bring in the talent to fit his system, and that goes for any coach. They've got to build the team in their image, and that will take a few years to fully get that implemented.[/QUOTE

I disagree respectfully to some extent because the new guy is stuck with what is there - will what we have scare some people off or an established coach who is thinking early success? I think it could. I think they could go option based on what there is to build on. Gray and/or Allipates athleticism has to be used.

If it scares someone off, it's not someone I would want anyway. With what we have on hand, it's obvious that we don't have an "Air Raid" QB currently here (unless Parrish is), but there are JC QBs out there who could probably slot into that system. The athleticism of the entire roster will have to be used, but maybe not at the positions they were recruited to play.

It usually takes an entire recruiting cycle (5 years) for everything to get fully into place.

Tough call. I hope and established coach would want to stay 5 years and not use it as a stepping stone to a bigger name program (like when Mason was talking to Ohio st.). To me, a Calhoun or Harbaugh type makes sense. You have coaches that could do something, and possibly win, with the talent on hand quicker. They are admittedly younger so there is that risk that they won't stat, but. I'm just not sold that somebody can go pass happy here or will have the patience without some chain at quick success.

Tough call. I hope and established coach would want to stay 5 years and not use it as a stepping stone to a bigger name program (like when Mason was talking to Ohio st.). To me, a Calhoun or Harbaugh type makes sense. You have coaches that could do something, and possibly win, with the talent on hand quicker. They are admittedly younger so there is that risk that they won't stat, but. I'm just not sold that somebody can go pass happy here or will have the patience without some chain at quick success.

I don't know, but it shouldn't necessarily be about immediate gratification, IE winning right away. Sure, immediate success would be great, but it's hardly realistic given the state this program is in right now. So I'd be happy with incremental success, so long as we've got a coach of a far higher and more proven quality than Tim Brewster behind that.

Things don't happen instantly. It takes time to rebuild things, and whichever coach we hire is going to need that time in order to rebuild it and fix things and get the right people in place and get his recruits on the field.

While existing talent matters...especially for matching offensive schemes...I think the fact we have max scholarships available over the next two years for recruiting and the amount of impact a FR can have on a team...the right coach with the ability to recruit his type of player will take care of itself.

Of course...if the guy comes in here like Brew did and changes schemes every year...we will be just as screwed in 4 years as we are today...but I don't see that happening...the next hire will be someone that knows how to coach and has his coaching personality set.

If reports are true

If we are intending to hire a proven a coach and give him an eight year contract as reported...he might be under fire but not from the administration. He'll have time to install his system.

There's enough talent to go 6-6 or 7-5 with good coaching. If the new coach can attract a couple of instant impact players they can perhaps do a little better. It will take 3 or 4 years before a New Years Day bowl is a realistic expectation.

The new coach should be in a good situation where he should be able to redshirt quite a few players. WE will have depth and it will be interesting to see if that depth has much talent (maybe the right coach can bring some of it out). The system really shouldn't be based on our current players, but I do like the fact that most of our 2 deeps should be set next season, meaning we won't need to recruit out of desperation.

Top Bottom