Talent and Depth take time

balds

Reaction score
Correct me when I'm wrong:

Offensive Line

2 star recruit Mason loved so much he tried him at DT.
Walk on (before he got hurt)
Transfer
Slow large Juco
Zero Depth

TE- Walk on

QB- An obvious marginal (?) QB and an obviously not ready Freshman

Defensive Line

Former walk on OL
lightly recruited Juco
Transfer with baggage
Juco
two true Spohs

LB

Freshman
Juco
Guy who was a DL and a FB on this same team
Guy who wasn't good enough to see the field until his senior season

DB

Juco
Walk on
Throw in at the end of 2007 class
transfer
Zero Depth

This is only the second year any of Brewster's recruits are on the field.

When they are upperclassmen or at least sophomores, does anybody think this defense won't be better that our current group?

(using only current players)

DL - Kirksey, Edwards, Hageman, Garin/Gregory-Mcgee
LB- Cooper, Reeves, Maresh, Tinsley
DB - Carter, Lewis, Dandridge

Also, when have we ever had three Qb's as highly rated as Gray, Alipate and Parish (who I think will be a stud)?

Patience brothers and sisters.

Nice post. Now if I only had one of those fastforward life remotes...

Agree with part of your assement balds, but I'm more concerned with the overall plan from Brewster. 3 defensive coordinators, 2 offensive coordinators, it has been so difficult start, stop, and restart everything. Especially when you consider our lack of talent, they need some consistency from the coaching staff. Go a direction and stick to it!

I agree

So keep these coordinators for three plus years.

I DVR'd the game, and just finished watching it. A few impressions:

-The defense was decent. People will point out the problems on 3rd down. There is no such thing as 3rd down defense. If you're bad on 3rd down, it just means your bad on defense. This team needs DEs badly. This needs to be the focus of the remaining scholarships...

-The offense was brutal. They were on the field so little, it was hard to tell what the biggest problem was. Weber was erratic, Whaley was rarely on the field, the OL had some breakdowns... Just a putrid offensive game.

As ugly as this game was, I feel like the Gophers are getting closer to being a contender. Look at the bright spots:

-In a road game, the offense was non-existent and left the defense out to dry. In past seasons, this could have been a 44-10 type of game, but the defense kept the team in it.

-The O-Line held up pretty well against one of the better defenses in the Big Ten. With the emphasis that the coaching staff has put on recruiting OL in the 2008/2009 classes and the addition of Davis as the line coach, the line should only get better from here.

-Weber may have peaked as a QB... or may just be struggling through a major transition. He has a pretty good track record that says if he figures it out, he can be good. If not, there are plenty of capable backups.

-At the start of the season, I thought the offense needed a game-changing RB. That may still be true, but Whaley is showing signs of being that guy. If not, this needs to be another top recruiting priority. This should be an easy sell- a starting RB gig in the Big Ten in a pro-style offense on a team with an improving OL?

there seems to be a lot of people on this board that think brewster fired the 2 previous defensive coordinators. whithers left on his own for north carolina and roof also left on his own for auburn.

I said this in another post but this team needs to have stability in the coordinator positions. if that happens the talent that is being recruited will be in the same system for more than 1 year at a time and as good as the defense played today until the better overall talent hits the field and stability in the coordinators both offense and defense this program will not win a game like today.

there seems to be a lot of people on this board that think brewster fired the 2 previous defensive coordinators. whithers left on his own for north carolina and roof also left on his own for auburn.

Regardless, the turnover is ultimately going to reflect on the coaches ability to make a good hire. Part of that is finding someone who will committ. From what I understand Withers was pretty much forced out, Roof left on his own, and Dunbar was also forced out. Please if I'm wrong someone in the know correct me.

Regardless, the turnover is ultimately going to reflect on the coaches ability to make a good hire. Part of that is finding someone who will committ. From what I understand Withers was pretty much forced out, Roof left on his own, and Dunbar was also forced out. Please if I'm wrong someone in the know correct me.
It's pretty hard to blame Brewster for Roof leaving. You're saying that he should have predicted that somehow?

-Weber may have peaked as a QB... or may just be struggling through a major transition. He has a pretty good track record that says if he figures it out, he can be good. If not, there are plenty of capable backups.
Granted Weber has had a couple of OC's and the offenses have changed, but he's not improving. I think that there is no reason to think that he will. He's started over 30 games and he's getting worse if anything. I'm afraid that he has the Gus Ferrotte Syndrome - the more he plays the worse he gets. Its clearly not all his fault, but I don't think that he's the guy to lead us to prominence. I want him to have a breakout game, if not he can be replaced.

It's pretty hard to blame Brewster for Roof leaving. You're saying that he should have predicted that somehow?
Well, coming off of a head coaching gig in a BCS conference I think everyone knew Roof was looking for a stepping stone somewhere else be it another head coaching job or a coordinator position with a big time program.

I don't think anyone should hold that against Brewster, it was a bit of a Faustian bargain from day one.

My heart tells me we should look at finding a new coach (hopefully another Tubby Smith type hire). But my head says we should give Brewster more time to field a team of his recruits which means maybe two more years and see what happens. I think we need to give Fisch and Cosgrove another year, as well. In the past people have posted examples of coaches who've been poor to mediocre the first few years and then developed winning teams. Of course, there have been coaches with disappointing first years and stayed that way. So, which will Brewster be? Who knows.

Solid evaluation of what the Gs are actually fielding...

most GHers probably know all that and understand that it takes time...and a lot of patience...to wait for Brew's hotshot recruits to get on the field and contribute to W's.

In the meantime, don't expect future hopes and dreams to slow down the bitching about current reality.

Top Bottom