Tailgating: West Bank or St. Paul?

DarrenTheGreek

Gov. Victory Bell Ringer
Reaction score
For those of you tailgaters who won't be tailgating on the East Bank, where are you planning on going? West Bank or St. Paul Campus?

Edit: Tried to make this a poll but my browser crashed. Now it won't let me modify it.

I'd prefer WB so we could walk through campus and down University to the stadium. But I'd prefer St. Paul for atmosphere otherwise. Plus its closer to the hotel we always stay at.

Where on the west bank would one tailgate??

Been a few years since I lived up there...but in looking again at a map...all I can see is the ball fields and the flats?

What an I missing?

Go Gophers! I can't for my first tailgate up there...it will be great!!

GopherMartin

trying to figure this out as well

Where do you think we'll have the best tailgating? St Paul over at the big lot and shuttle over or west bank and hike it to the stadium. Tough call. Is there consensus at all on this?

Will they offer shuttles from the West Bank to the stadium?

Shuttles

Ticket office told me the other day that they will be running shuttles from both West Bank and St. Paul.

There are 2 big lots on the St. Paul campus....S108 and then the South Como lot near the bottom of the screen. It doesn't look big on the map, but if you put your cursor over the parking lot it will tell you the number of stalls in each lot. They both are over 2,000 stalls.

I read a couple of months ago that private bus's will be coming in from various shopping malls, restruants, etc. Park at Rosedale, have a bite to eat and enjoy the ride to TCF and back.

Bayfield, I won't assume this would be your gameday ritural but

I read a couple of months ago that private bus's will be coming in from various shopping malls, restruants, etc. Park at Rosedale, have a bite to eat and enjoy the ride to TCF and back.

We've been off-campus for nearly 27 years and now have a beautiful new stadium on-campus and someone wants to park 4 miles away, get a bite to eat at Sbarro, pick up some new socks at JC Penney and then load a bus which will drop one off right in front of the stadium. IMO, that person shouldn't be a college football fan.

OldSchool50.jpeg

Actually weve got a nice little Saturday planned. Were going to Home Depot to pick out some wallpaper, then maybe well hit Bed Bath and Beyond... I dont know! I dont know if well have enough time!"
Frank the Tank - Old School

Bumping up this thread from a couple years ago that I found on Google...

I purchased the recent graduate season ticket package this year and am looking for a tailgating spot. The ticket office tells me that C94 on the West Bank and the St. Paul fairgrounds are the two tailgating lots with spots still open. Now that the stadium has been open for a couple years, is there a consensus on whether the tailgating is better on the West Bank or the Fairgrounds? Any info/advice would be appreciated!

Can't beat East Side Flats. $10 and a nice 15-minute or so walk to the stadium (if you don't pass out walking up the stairs). Big area to throw a football around, too. There were noticably more cars there in Year Two than there were in Year One.

We tailgated for the first couple of years in Lot 89 (I think). Right down the hill from 94. Wasn't great, but it was a really small lot. Not a bad walk across the pedestiran bridge and through campus, but they have shuttles too. I did the State Fair once and didn't like it. Big lot, but it took us well over an hour to get a shuttle back after the NIU game. Trying the Flats this year, but am a little nervous about getting in and out of there.

My crew will be tailgating in St. Paul I have some family members with knee problems so the bus ride is the way to go for us.

Excellent information - I was not aware that of the tailgating at the East River Flats before and will probably go that route based on the per game cost and convenience. Is the entire lot gameday parking? How big is it and how early will it fill up?

Excellent information - I was not aware that of the tailgating at the East River Flats before and will probably go that route based on the per game cost and convenience. Is the entire lot gameday parking? How big is it and how early will it fill up?

It doesn't seem that big, but there's a lot of space because they simply have you park on the grass. They could have twice as many cars in there if there was demand. It's all game-day parking; don't need a contract or a donation.

Getting in and out has never been a problem for me. There aren't enough people there for traffic beforehand. Might be more of a probelm after the game, but we have never experienced that because we usually have a beer at Sally's to wait some of that out. With the construction on the streets this year, some of that convenience could change.

I can't say for certain which lots are the best for tailgating, but I know the fairgrounds lot is where we park and there are many tailgaters out there. It's huge and never fills up, so leaves you room to find multiple spots to tailgate in. I'm with an older crowd (WWII vet and my uncle who's got a bad back), otherwise I'd tailgate more often. The 11am games suck for t-gating as well.

I'm on the West Bank, and I like it. Surprisingly, it's easier for me to park there and get home via Franklin to East River Parkway, than it is to approach from the East. I like to walk through campus, so, it works for me.

Top Bottom