tailgating lot behond coffman

dylan64

Reaction score
Anyone know if the tailgating lot behind coffman student union will be open again this year? I thought last year I heard there was one back there for $10 per car and heard some reports it was pretty fun. Don't know if the U or anyone else put the kabosh on it though. I'm lookin to do some tailgating Saturday and thought that might be a good option.

The East River Flats lot isn't a U lot. Looks like the lot will be open again this year. It's operated by the Minneapolis Parks Dept. Here are the details from their website (note: link goes to PDF document):

General Parking Lot Information
Event parking rates are in effect at East River Flats Parking Lot during the Minnesota Gopher home
football games on Sept. 11, 18, 25, Oct. 2, 23, 30 and Nov. 27. Event parking rates are $10 per vehicle
and apply to all vehicles entering the East River Flats Parking Lot between 8 a.m.-10 p.m.
Gopher Football Shuttle Service
The Stadium is less than one mile from East River Flats Parking Lot. There is a Gopher Football Shuttle
stop at Coffman Union/Northrop Mall that is a short distance from East River Flats Parking Lot. Football
shuttles run every 15 minutes starting four hours before the game and increase to five minute service
starting two hours before the game. The shuttles run continuously for one hour after the game.

Tailgating Information
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board permits tailgating on football game days at East River Flats
Parking Lot during the following specified hours and under other general conditions.
• Tailgating may begin six hours before game time, but no earlier than 8 a.m.
• Tailgating must end four hours after game time or 11 p.m., whichever comes first.
• All vehicles must leave the parking lot when it closes at 11 p.m.
• Green space within the parking lot or other designated surfaces may be used for tailgating by participants permitted access to the parking lot.
• Tailgating is NOT permitted on any other Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board property unless authorized.
• Illegal parking will be strictly enforced. Violators will be subject to tagging and towing at owner's expense.

Tailgating Rules
The following items and activities ARE allowed in the East River Flats Parking Lot:
• Gas grills with a maximum propane cylinder size of 20 pounds.
• Consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons of legal drinking age, and in compliance with all applicable state laws and city ordinances or policies.
• Portable outdoor furniture.
• Tents and awnings that do not block adjacent parking spaces or impede drive aisles or require the use of stakes.
• Portable generators.
The following items and activities ARE NOT ALLOWED in the East River Flats Parking Lot:
• Kegs, party balls, drinking game accessories and large quantity or common source containers of alcoholic beverages.
• Glass containers of any kind, including bottles and cups.
• Open fires fueled by charcoal, wood or other combustible materials of any kind.
• Disruptive music or noise.
• Couches or other large furniture items.
• Promotional or marketing activities without authorization from the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board.
• Sale of products, food or beverages unless permitted and authorized by the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board.
• Occupying more than one parking space.
• Saving a parking space for someone else.

Tailgating Conduct
• Respect other people and property.
• Properly dispose of trash.
• Cooperate with law enforcement authorities and Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board
personnel.
• Comply with all applicable Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, city, state and federal rules, policies, ordinances and laws. Violation of any Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board Tailgating
• Rules could result in fines and loss of tailgating privileges.

I parked here for the opener last year, it was not well known, but it could be a great atmosphere if it catches on. Great spot to get in and out of Campus to beat traffic also. It's a great alternative to the choices the University has given.

Best kept secret last year. $10 to park & tailgate, flat grassy spots, river view, 15 min walk to the bank. Tailgated there every game. Hopefully, not too many people catch on. I get there as early as the lot opens for every game so I'm not worried about getting a spot, and it would be nice to have a few more people there for the atmosphere, but with the increased demand they could easily jack up their rates and/or make each tailgating space smaller.

Road construction on East River Road

Those of you planning to tailgate in the East River Flats lot should be aware of road construction along East River Road in that area. Here is the text of a release issued by the University last week:

East River Road
East River Road closed to through-traffic in July and sections of the road are expected to remain closed until November. The closure is needed to accommodate a variety of construction projects including utility work by the University of Minnesota, Advanced Traffic Improvements associated with the Central Corridor Light Rail Transit, and river bluff stabilization by the Minneapolis Park Board. As work proceeds on East River Road, there will continue to be access to the East River Road Garage, the Weisman Garage and the Mississippi River Flats.

The work has caused East River Road to be reduced to a single lane of traffic near the East River Road Garage entrance. During busy times, traffic has backed-up at the signal light used to control traffic in the area and timing of the light will be adjusted. A bigger concern is that some drivers ignore the signal and drive through the red light. Over the next two weeks, University Police will be on hand to ensure that drivers stay safe and obey the traffic signal.

We parked there for most games last year and it was great. Only tailgated once, though, because so few others were doing so. We decided to park and go to Sally's or somewhere around the stadium so we could see some people before the games. There is outstanding potential for tailgating there, though. I hope to try it again this season, if I can talk my friend and his wife into it.

Those of you planning to tailgate in the East River Flats lot should be aware of road construction along East River Road in that area. Here is the text of a release issued by the University last week:

East River Road
East River Road closed to through-traffic in July and sections of the road are expected to remain closed until November. The closure is needed to accommodate a variety of construction projects including utility work by the University of Minnesota, Advanced Traffic Improvements associated with the Central Corridor Light Rail Transit, and river bluff stabilization by the Minneapolis Park Board. As work proceeds on East River Road, there will continue to be access to the East River Road Garage, the Weisman Garage and the Mississippi River Flats.

The work has caused East River Road to be reduced to a single lane of traffic near the East River Road Garage entrance. During busy times, traffic has backed-up at the signal light used to control traffic in the area and timing of the light will be adjusted. A bigger concern is that some drivers ignore the signal and drive through the red light. Over the next two weeks, University Police will be on hand to ensure that drivers stay safe and obey the traffic signal.

When I was on campus last Wednesday the ramp to East River Rd was closed from Washington Ave when headed East.

Caution

Parked there for all home games last year. Good tailgating. Hope it doesn't get too crowded, although there was plenty of room last year. Even though the policy says tailgating permitted until 11:00, last year Park Police would not permit after game tailgating after the night game. Even though it wasn't 11:00 yet.

Top Bottom