Syracuse loses three players and a 4th with Clearinghouse issues

mggoph

Section 112, Row 1
Reaction score
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2009/08/syracuse_university_football_t_7.html

Subtract three more players from the Syracuse University football team.

First-year head coach Doug Marrone opened the team's annual football media day Monday in the Carrier Dome by announcing that junior walk-on fullback Dan Collier of Auburn, sophomore defensive end Zary Stewart and redshirt freshman defensive end Romale Tucker were no longer on the roster. The team has now bid farewell to 16 scholarship players since Marrone was hired.

"I've always told everyone I'll be up front and honest," Marrone said, "and today we'll field a team and we'll be missing three players who are no longer part of the roster. I always say I don't comment on people who aren't with the team, but there are many different reasons people are not with our football team anymore."

Collier was listed on the preseason depth chart as the first-string fullback, Stewart as a second-team end behind junior Jared Kimmel and Tucker buried behind redshirt freshman Chandler Jones, sophomore Mikhail Marinovich and sophomore Chad Battles on the other side.

Marrone also said freshman Rishard Anderson continues to have NCAA Clearinghouse issues and did not report Sunday.

"We don't have direct communication (with the player)," Marrone said. "It's usually between the parents and the NCAA. They've called back to the school today and have asked for more information, so we're in the process of that. I'll keep everyone up to date."

x. Junior offensive tackle Andrew Tiller was listed on Monday's roster at 6-foot-6, 382 pounds. As Marrone said in the days leading up to camp, Tiller is a mountain of a man.

"He's in the top three," center Jim McKenzie said when asked if he's played with anyone so big. "The others were a couple of 400-pounders in my league in high school. But their guts had guts. It's not that way with Andrew. He's just huge."

x. Marrone's decision to hold media day and the team's first practice inside the Dome turned out to be the right one when a strong thunderstorm rolled through the area shortly after the proceedings got under way.

"Hey, he's already 1-0," said athletic director Daryl Gross, who was in attendance.

x. As expected, there was little for the media to see during the first 30 minutes of practice before it was asked to leave. Special teams, calisthenics and some quarterback drills (no passing) ... Kimmel practiced with a brace on his left knee, which was surgically repaired in the off-season.

It will be Syracuse losing 5 after the first play:
25 days till Simoni rips off paulas' head on the first play. Send it to the Bank!

This isn't stemming optimism like this over in western NY'a blogoshpere:

Getting Back To Respectability: A Look at Syracuse's Schedule
by Dan Kelley

"Sept. 5 Minnesota—The Gophers got off to a good start last season, winning seven of their first eight games, but it all turned out to be smoke and mirrors. Five of those wins were against unimpressive opponents Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, Montana State, Florida Atlantic, and Indiana. Minnesota then capsized losing their last five games including a 55-0 drubbing at home against Iowa.

"Prediction: There is excitement around the Syracuse football program again, and the Dome should be full of fans excited to see the beginning of the Doug Marrone era. The crowd helps them start on a high note in week one 1-0 (0-0)."

He chalks Minnesota and Maine up as the two wins for the first seven games before the Orangemen get down to business and finish 5-7.

I do fear that we will not have enough emotion going into this game, but to have a guy chalk up a win for a 3 win club that is so thin at DE that Torrey Bell, a JUCO who failed to get an offer out of our camp last year may well be their starter. Now I hope we put on a clinic.

It's funny how he doesn't mention that we lost 2 of those games in the final minutes and 1 in the final play, we could've been 9-2 at one point, even if Syracuse had our schedule last year they would've won less then 3 games.......

Minnesota 42, Syracuse 17

I'm not even gonna entertain this.......

I am all jacked up

about my trip to Syracuse. So, tell someone who cares - that's what I'm doing - I know you guys care. The NY State Fair will still be going - I'll be hitting it on Friday and will give a comparative analysis here. As far as the game, I would not want to be the Orange. There were several games last year ( Purdue for example) where I was sitting in the stands thinking " These refs are throwing their flags to get our defense to stop hitting so hard. Seriously, if our D is allowed to fly around and hammer people like they want to and are capable of, there is going to be some major league carnage. Anyway, look for me in the stands at the Carrier - I'll be the good looking Gopher fan.:cool02:

I'll be disappointed with anything other than a 14+ point win. You need to set the tone by beating a team you're better than.

Top Bottom