Syracuse Fan Boards Talk Smack

Its funny I work with a huge Syracuse fan who has watched most games that both teams have played this year and he thinks the Gophers are going to completely demolish cuse.... I guess these guys see something different.

Its funny I work with a huge Syracuse fan who has watched most games that both teams have played this year and he thinks the Gophers are going to completely demolish cuse.... I guess these guys see something different.

How huge is he? 6'10" 320?

Not everyone is delusional or sees their team through rose colored glasses like many of the Syracuse fans we've been exposed to the last few days. There are a couple decent Syracuse fans that have been posting here. I know some cool Syracuse bb fans that I've never had any problem with. My guess is that the majority of Syracuse football fans out there believe that their team should not be favored to win, but that their team will put up a good fight and will keep it close. I'm also guessing that most Gopher fans also believe that our team will win but it won't be a blowout win. I think if our QB is having a bad day, we just barely win. If our QB has a good day, we win by at least 2 scores. I guess if Syracuse has a bad day and can't stop our running game we could get on a roll and wear em out by pounding it consistently and in doing so could break a few big runs and the game could be won big with just the running game, but I don't see that as being a very good possibility.

Both sides are overconfident. The spread by Vegas is pretty good, and even leans our way a bit, I assume due to our end of the year performance (we beat the spread in our last 6 games).

I think we win by 6-10, but it will be a hard fought battle, and we wear them out a bit at the end. We've lost two ways this year: in skill positions (Michigan), and in the trenches (MSU, Wisc, Iowa). Syracuse does not pose those matchup problems against us. On the right day, they will beat us, but more often than not, we will win. It's not a knock on them, or kudos to us, it's just the way it is. We should win, but they easily could.

Those guys are pretty confident about their 6-6 record along with their big wins against Maryland and BC :rolleyes:

I think I saw a couple of poster say that they could see the Orange blowing Minnesota out of the water :rolleyes:

I am getting a little tired of the "you guys schedule cupcakes" argument. Sure, we didn't play a BCS team. But scheduling a BCS team doesn't mean anything if you still can't compete in your conference.

NW played many BCS teams prior to B1G play - and they won ONE B1G game. What came out of the OOC schedule? They got injured. Cal scheduled multiple BCS teams OOC to maybe prepare them for the PAC-12. The result? They are 1-11. Nice.

Everyone in the B1G this year had some form of "cupcakes" on their OOC at some point except maybe NW. Our program was, and still is, rebuilding. Kill's MO in the OOC is to build confidence and not get injured. We proved to be better teams than NW, Neb, PSU, and IU who arguably have better talent at key positions compared to us. We held MSU to 14 points, which is shocking after watching the B1G title game. We held WI to their fewest points for the season (if only the offense was clicking). Reaching bowl games is how you build CFB programs. And we surpassed even our own expectations of this season. It will be great seeing the likes of TCU on the schedule in the future. But I have absolutely no problem with the "cupcakes" we played. We lose any of those games, and we aren't giddy over 8 wins. We are wondering what the heck is wrong with our program.

These Syracuse fans are just trying to thump their chest to make themselves feel better. I have been to Syracuse - it sucks. I hope we Golden-I all over them. THE. ENTIRE. GAME.

The "cupcakes" argument also doesn't hold much water when SJSU and UNLV both made bowls. I'm not saying they're world-beaters or anything, but they're not doormats either.

Every fan base (ours included) has the irrational group that are convinced they have the greatest team ever to take the field. I am sure the majority of their fans understand reality but the message boards rarely feature those people.

But hey if it builds some steam for the matchup and gets people excited, I'm all for it because frankly this matchup leaves a lot to be desired from a football fan standpoint.

The "cupcakes" argument also doesn't hold much water when SJSU and UNLV both made bowls. I'm not saying they're world-beaters or anything, but they're not doormats either.

Even more, it doesn't makes sense when comparing MN and Syracuse since we beat both of their "non-cupcake" opponents this year. Sure NW wasn't the same team, but Penn St. was probably better at the end of the season because of their youth. See their Wisconsin win.

They also love to point out how they stopped Andre Williams (who didn't even play the entire game) and because of that, they will have no problem with the Minnesota running game. What they don't understand is that Cobb only started the second half of the season and still has 1,111 yards on the ground. Other than the SJSU game where he received 25 carries, the other five games only saw him with: 6, 7, 8, 9, and 13 carries each. No question that he would have eclipsed 1,600 had he started the entire season and had the chance to pad his stats against our non-conference opponents.

They also love to point out how they stopped Andre Williams (who didn't even play the entire game) and because of that, they will have no problem with the Minnesota running game. What they don't understand is that Cobb only started the second half of the season and still has 1,111 yards on the ground. Other than the SJSU game where he received 25 carries, the other five games only saw him with: 6, 7, 8, 9, and 13 carries each. No question that he would have eclipsed 1,600 had he started the entire season and had the chance to pad his stats against our non-conference opponents.

BC also ended up with around 190 yards rushing I think.

First of all, am I to understand that Syracuse fans are ripping on our schedule????

Please, this can not be? You are kidding me, right?!

Syracuse played a WEAKER schedule than we did. PERIOD.

Looking at CBSSportsline's Top 126 Ranking

Syra - 1-12-39-50-53-55-64-73-74-83-97-UR
Minn - 4-17-35-39-41-51-61-64-69-79-116-UR

Seems UMn played more Top 40, more Top 50, more Top 70 & more Top 80 opponents than Syracuse did. So who played all the creampuffs??

And not only did UMn play more Top 50 teams, but we beat 2 of them. And our worst loss was to #51 Michigan, Syracuse lost to the #64 and the #73 ranked teams. Seems it doesn't matter if they played more creampuffs or not, they might still have lost. How much more of a creampuff can you get than #73 of 126?

If Syracuse needs to do a Cincy and play nothing but teams ranked in triple digits to get to 8 or more wins in the season, then what does that say about their team?

Minnesota played more quality opponents than Syracuse and still won 2 more games, including beating the 2 common opponents we shared, while Syracuse lost to those 2 teams.

And lets compare how each team did vs these scedules.

UMinn lost its 4 games by margins of 29, 16, 13 & 11.
Syracuse lost its 6 gms by margins of 56, 56, 35, 21, 6 & 1.

And that 1 point loss was to the #73 ranked team in the country. Even if you forgive them the loss to #1 FSU and pretend that one didn't happen, we'd still have a far better resume when looking at the losses,

29-16-13-11
vs
56-35-21-6-1

Can't be so forgiving of their loss to GT, seeing as GT is only ranked 50th in the nation.

Looking at another rating system,

Sagarin has their SOS ranked as #48, UMn's is #46.

Comparing them from best to worst shows we played more quality opponents.

Minn - 7-10-29-38-49-54-57-65-84-91-192-UR
Syra - 1-16-33-54-58-59-65-71-81-83-107-UR

And not only did we play more Top 50 teams(5 to their 3), we actually beat one of them. We played more Top 60 and more Top 70 teams than Syracuse did.

After you get beyond 70, does it really matter anymore, really? I mean it almost did for Syracuse as they lost to #65 NW.

So don't let any of you let anyone lie to you and claim that the Gophers were the team who played nothing but creampuffs.

We missed both Purdue and Illinois and both UNLV and SJSU are bowling. Heck, CBSSportsline has SJSU ranked just one spot below Syracuse, lol. If we played nothing but creampuffs, then what is Syracuse???

First of all, am I to understand that Syracuse fans are ripping on our schedule????

Seems UMn played more Top 40, more Top 50, more Top 70 & more Top 80 opponents than Syracuse did. So who played all the creampuffs??

And not only did UMn play more Top 50 teams, but we beat 2 of them. And our worst loss was to #51 Michigan, Syracuse lost to the #64 and the #73 ranked teams. Seems it doesn't matter if they played more creampuffs or not, they might still have lost. How much more of a creampuff can you get than #73 of 126?

If Syracuse needs to do a Cincy and play nothing but teams ranked in triple digits to get to 8 or more wins in the season, then what does that say about their team?

Minnesota played more quality opponents than Syracuse and still won 2 more games, including beating the 2 common opponents we shared, while Syracuse lost to those 2 teams.

And that 1 point loss was to the #73 ranked team in the country. Even if you forgive them the loss to #1 FSU and pretend that one didn't happen, we'd still have a far better resume when looking at the losses,

29-16-13-11
vs
56-35-21-6-1

Can't be so forgiving of their loss to GT, seeing as GT is only ranked 50th in the nation.

And not only did we play more Top 50 teams(5 to their 3), we actually beat one of them. We played more Top 60 and more Top 70 teams than Syracuse did.

After you get beyond 70, does it really matter anymore, really? I mean it almost did for Syracuse as they lost to #65 NW.

So don't let any of you let anyone lie to you and claim that the Gophers were the team who played nothing but creampuffs.

We missed both Purdue and Illinois and both UNLV and SJSU are bowling. Heck, CBSSportsline has SJSU ranked just one spot below Syracuse, lol. If we played nothing but creampuffs, then what is Syracuse???

Nice work! Unfortunately to the Syracuse rubes, facts are meaningless. Conjecture and rumor rule. According to them, they will shut down our running attack and our Phil Nelson will not complete a pass.

They are really starting to annoy me which will make the game all the more fun to watch.

Thanks for the numbers grinding!!

"Getting talked sh** to by Minnesota fans.

Amazing.

Did you know that there's a side of the Brown Jug with a Minnesota logo on it? Why'd they even bother?

To be fair, they also talked before the Michigan game this year. Then lost 42-13."

Amazing.

Did you know that there's a side of the Brown Jug with a Minnesota logo on it? Why'd they even bother?

To be fair, they also talked before the Michigan game this year. Then lost 42-13."
Yeah, I'm just a stupid, worthless Minnesota fan, but I seem to remember the majority of fans being worried about going winless in the Big Ten before the Michigan game.

Yeah, I'm just a stupid, worthless Minnesota fan, but I seem to remember the majority of fans being worried about going winless in the Big Ten before the Michigan game.

The first game I thought we would win (after the Iowa loss) was Penn State. And I didn't predict another win after that. The Penn State game convinced me we were a different, and better, team than our first BIG game. Avoiding blowouts to Wisconsin and Michigan St helped to cement that thought. I think we are a better team than Syracuse, but not by a wide margin.

Amazing.

You got it Cuse fans.

6 to 1. Not even close in # of Natl Titles.

18 to 9. Twice as many cfb Hall of Fame players. WOW.

3 straight. That's how many times the Gophers have beaten Syracuse in football.

CBSSportsline's Top 126 has the Gopher's ranked #32 and Syracuse is ranked #60.

And every single one of CBS's 6 experts picked the Gophers to win, with 5 of those 6 predicting we'll cover the spread as well.

Yeah, I think Gopher fans can talk all they want to Orange fans.

You got it Cuse fans.

7 to 1. Not even close in # of Natl Titles.

18 to 9. Twice as many cfb Hall of Fame players. WOW.

3 straight. That's how many times the Gophers have beaten Syracuse in football.

CBSSportsline's Top 126 has the Gopher's ranked #32 and Syracuse is ranked #60.

And every single one of CBS's 6 experts picked the Gophers to win, with 5 of those 6 predicting we'll cover the spread as well.

Yeah, I think Gopher fans can talk all they want to Orange fans.

FIFY

Can't really speak to how good or bad the Orange is. They weren't on a whole lot of Television here locally or Nationally for that matter were they?

Well, I stick to the 6 Natl Titles that are what you would commonly call UMn's "Recognized" Titles. Unlike the University of Minnesota's officially recognizing the 1904 Title in addition to the 6 Titles the rest of the nation for the most part recognized, if I'm going to recognize titles not recognized by the rest of the nation, then I'm going all out and recognizing ALL TEN of them.

1903, 1904, 1911, 1915, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941 & 1960. And the Orange could technically count 2 more as well then.

So...

10 to 3. Not even close in the # of Natl Titles.

29-16-13-11
vs
56-35-21-6-1

A nice impassioned write up. But much too long for your typical SuckaCuse fan to read. They tend to lose focus after 3-4 sentences. Maybe their players will start to get the message when Donovan Jones gets snaps at QB because we're ahead by 50+...

Well, I stick to the 6 Natl Titles that are what you would commonly call UMn's "Recognized" Titles. Unlike the University of Minnesota's officially recognizing the 1904 Title in addition to the 6 Titles the rest of the nation for the most part recognized, if I'm going to recognize titles not recognized by the rest of the nation, then I'm going all out and recognizing ALL TEN of them.

1903, 1904, 1911, 1915, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941 & 1960. And the Orange could technically count 2 more as well then.

So...

10 to 3. Not even close in the # of Natl Titles.

With you there. I know everyone here like's to jump on that 7th title, but I'll stick with recognized (6). I always use this site for reference...

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/national_championships/nchamps_team.php

WGAS what the SU fans think. All this talk about how many players they have in the pros or HOF is like someone saying what all their older brothers did before being pummeled in a fist fight. Talk is cheap.

Let's go amano on the playing field and let's introduce them to Mr Hageman and company. Then, we can discus something of relevance after the Gophers chew them up into teenie weenie acorn chips. :blah::blah::blah:

With you there. I know everyone here like's to jump on that 7th title, but I'll stick with recognized (6). I always use this site for reference...

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/national_championships/nchamps_team.php

That's where I figured out Syracuse had 2 more unofficial titles. I already knew about all of UMn's 10 titles before I discovered cfbdatawarehouse, but I use that site for reference quite abit. I think it's fun to check out all of the different rankings they put out, decade rankings and rankings of 5 and 10 and 20 year periods and so on.

And since we are on the subject of cfbdatawarehouse and its program rankings. Here are some interesting things to consider.

They rank our respective programs as follows,

overall,

#17 to their #41

last 10 years

#69 to their #75

Best 5 year period

#1 to their #12

Best 10 year period

#1 to their #13

Best 20 year period

#1 to their #18

Top Bottom