Syracuse attendance

gophers141

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the projected attendance as of now is for the game Saturday night?

I know the $10 tickets sold out and when I went to the box office at Maruicci today there was a little bit of a line at 1PM, which is unusual.

Could this be a potential sell out??!!

There was students and then one adult picking up will call tickets. Usually there is never a line there, so it got me a little excited.

I'm guessing it'll be nearly sold out - probably most empty seats will be in the student section. As far as butts in the seats ... dunno. I think 45k would be great.

As of yesterday, they were reporting 1,500 unsold tickets (not the $10 tickets - they sold out).
My guess is that they might sell another couple of hundred in the next few days that will result in ticket sales of around 49,000 (not the 50,800 that The Bank holds). The big question is how many of the "sold" tickets belong to ticket brokers who have not yet found a butt to occupy the seat.

At some point its all academic. I'm not sure that the crowd noise will be any less with 49,800 than it would be with 50,800.

Either way, the house should be rocking!

Go Gophers!

Listening to Teague right now on KFAN and he says he is confident it will be a sellout. He said regular ticket availability is now in the "hundreds" and a few more in the student section.

Listening to Teague right now on KFAN and he says he is confident it will be a sellout. He said regular ticket availability is now in the "hundreds" and a few more in the student section.

Great news. If butts in seats are more than 46k, I'll be very happy as it will feel like a sellout.

I will say that the crowd was really good for the Western Mich game. We're right by the student section and those who were there were into the game. Let's hope that carries over to more people fora night game with 4-0 on the line.

Its a damn shame, if the Vikings were 3-0, the dome would be sold out no problem, the crowd would be crazy loud especially on 3rd down, and thats to watch some spoiled overpaid adults play. But when it comes to supporting the kids at the U, the only FBS team the state who play in a new beautiful outdoor stadium, you gotta damn near give away tickets to fill the stadium.

Its a damn shame, if the Vikings were 3-0, the dome would be sold out no problem, the crowd would be crazy loud especially on 3rd down, and thats to watch some spoiled overpaid adults play. But when it comes to supporting the kids at the U, the only FBS team the state who play in a new beautiful outdoor stadium, you gotta damn near give away tickets to fill the stadium.

Agreed. Standing (yes, standing) at the game last Saturday in the sun, outdoors, with the band playing and the Gophs playing well, it made me wonder how anyone can prefer to go to a Vikings game. I don't want this to turn into a Gophers vs. Vikings thing because I don't think we need one to fail for the other to succeed. But it's hard to understand why you would want to go to a game in the Metrodome to cheer on a team of free agents when you could have a far better experience at TCF. I mean, it's not like the Vikings have some outstanding tradition of championship caliber play and they actually had a worse record than the Gophs last year.

I think the key is getting more people in the door to experience the atmosphere. I try to bring a few people to games each year to get them exposed.

I think they need to ask what the biology department thinks.

:)

"The ticket is only $10, and everyone I know is going this week,” said Berger, a genetics, cell biology and development major. “It’s a night game too, so I’m pretty excited.”

The Vikings will always be more popular than the Gophers because the majority of people want to watch a sport played at its highest level. That's just the way it is. It's the same reason why the Timberwolves are far more popular than the Lynx despite the Lynx being far, far more successful relative to their sport.

I see your point, but it is a little different when an NFL team goes 3-0 vs what the Gophers have done. They have played one of the worst teams in FBS (watched by probably a few thousand people in MN, given kickoff time and channel they were on), an FCS team, and an OK non-AQ school. Our SOS is lower than the total number of teams in FBS. In the NFL, everyone is on a level playing field and it would be a bigger accomplishment generating more excitement.

People in MN aren't dumb, they're cynical about the Gophers because how many times in the Mason era did we start 3-0, 4-0, 4-1, 5-1, only to have the other shoe drop and finish a game or two over .500. They want to know if this team is for real before they jump on the bandwagon - afterall, this is a bandwagon town.

The Vikings will always be more popular than the Gophers because the majority of people want to watch a sport played at its highest level. That's just the way it is. It's the same reason why the Timberwolves are far more popular than the Lynx despite the Lynx being far, far more successful relative to their sport.

I agree. I used to be the same way. That does describe the majority.

I realize I am in the minority but something just clicked for me in the last 10 years where I began to enjoy the college game more... in almost every way. Sure, I still pull for the Vikings but my Sunday night happiness no longer depends on their winning or losing. I have become much more fair weather in my approach to the Vikings. During their game on Sunday, I found myself mentally checking out for 3 or 4 plays at a time while I checked Gopher Hole, read NCAA game recaps, etc. For me, the whole pro aspect and money grubbing level (not that money grubbing doesn't exist in the college game too) just combined to make me feel like the NFL is more like the WWE, or straight entertainment. Meanwhile, as I age... the college game with its crazy students, bands, traditions, etc. just hooked me more over time. I guess I woke up one morning and found that although I want to see the Gophers win every game, I am much better at being a di-hard fan of the 'U' and the college game. Somehow I guess it reminds me more of why I fell in love with football in the first place, when I played it.

I won tickets to this week's game, so posted my season tickets for sale. Didn't get a single bite for several weeks, sold them last week at face value, and have had a few inquiries this week stating they are "very interested". So if that's any indication, demand is growing! Gophers are the hot ticket in town this week. Saturday night should be fun!

I realize I am in the minority but something just clicked for me in the last 10 years where I began to enjoy the college game more... in almost every way. Sure, I still pull for the Vikings but my Sunday night happiness no longer depends on their winning or losing. I have become much more fair weather in my approach to the Vikings. During their game on Sunday, I found myself mentally checking out for 3 or 4 plays at a time while I checked Gopher Hole, read NCAA game recaps, etc. For me, the whole pro aspect and money grubbing level (not that money grubbing doesn't exist in the college game too) just combined to make me feel like the NFL is more like the WWE, or straight entertainment. Meanwhile, as I age... the college game with its crazy students, bands, traditions, etc. just hooked me more over time. I guess I woke up one morning and found that although I want to see the Gophers win every game, I am much better at being a di-hard fan of the 'U' and the college game. Somehow I guess it reminds me more of why I fell in love with football in the first place, when I played it.

I'd say this pretty much describes me too.

My sentiments exactly. Even if college sports is also big business, at least that money is invested back into the University instead of the pockets of some millionaire.

I was in the cheap seats just next to the big scoreboard against Western Michigan, and I overheard the two women behind me talking about the experience of being at the game. They said they had been to Vikings games, and it just wasn't the same as being at the Gophers game. It is my guess that this was their first game at TCF Bank Stadium, and they were impressed with the band and the atmosphere before the game even started. They actually said they liked it better than a Vikings game. Heck, even my 4-year-old daughter was into it. I think being at the Bank is a hidden gem, and I think the intrigue of team right now might bring a sellout to the game. My neighbors, who aren't big football fans, are planning to go this Saturday. And they are excited.

If the Gophers win Saturday, they very well could be the talk of the town, and expect a sellout the next home game against Northwestern on Oct. 13.

My professor in my 8 am class this morning has asked the past two weeks for a show of hands of who's going to the game on Saturday, and today there was a pretty noticeable increase in the amount of hands.

I was in the cheap seats just next to the big scoreboard against Western Michigan, and I overheard the two women behind me talking about the experience of being at the game. They said they had been to Vikings games, and it just wasn't the same as being at the Gophers game. It is my guess that this was their first game at TCF Bank Stadium, and they were impressed with the band and the atmosphere before the game even started. They actually said they liked it better than a Vikings game. Heck, even my 4-year-old daughter was into it. I think being at the Bank is a hidden gem, and I think the intrigue of team right now might bring a sellout to the game. My neighbors, who aren't big football fans, are planning to go this Saturday. And they are excited.

If the Gophers win Saturday, they very well could be the talk of the town, and expect a sellout the next home game against Northwestern on Oct. 13.
The opportunity definitely exists to generate a ton of buzz. It likely won't happen, but can you imagine the reaction in the stadium if the Gophers are running out the clock on Saturday night and the audio of the pig squealing starts blaring over the speakers?

congrats on scheduling an 8 AM class. In my college days I avoided 8:00 am classes like the plague. I probably ended up graduating with a different major just because of my efforts to avoid 8:00 start times. I wasn't at the 'U', but I'm assuming the ability to somewhat customize one's schedule is the same. The irony is now I can't sleep past 7:30 even if I try, even on a weekend.

The little pockets of evidence related to the potential for a big crowd on Saturday continue to grow. Really looking forward to it. Gophers! Just keep up your end of the deal and WIN! Things are not near the level of that 2003 Michigan game level for a groundswell of fan interest but there has been a definite uptick this week compared to the first three weeks of the season. I hope the coaching staff and team take advantage of this uptick.

It'll take a win at Iowa for that to happen I think.

I am the same way, although I can barely last one half of a Vikes game. Off the top of my head I couldn't name more than 6 or 7 active Viking players, while five years ago I could have named all the starters and at least two deep on the skill positions.

+ 1,000,000. Man, Schnauzer, you just summed up my feelings exactly as well! I can say that I absolutely bleed maroon & gold and I just can't say enough about the atmosphere, win or lose, around college football! Most importantly, the sentence in bold is what I agree with!

I enjoy the Vikings as much as the next person, but IMO, it will never hold a candle to college football and the gophers for me.

With that said, I hoping for a near sellout and a very engergetic crowd, ala Michigan State Halloween game in 2008! I would love to just hear TCF rocking!

It'll take a win at Iowa for that to happen I think.

I don't think a win this week creates a buzz but it does increase the general awareness. A win this week AND a win at Iowa would get a real buzz going. Then again, while I think we will win this week, I think our chances of winning in Iowa City are very slim.

Top Bottom