Switch Gray to WR?

Reaction score
Brew has opened the door on this one...it does make a lot of sense if Brew thinks he has a qb that can get Gray the ball consistently.

Size, weight, balance and running ability after a catch...powerful combo...Deck-like.

I hope not. With his talent and versatility I hope to see him be a QB primarily, but perhaps throw a few wrinkles where Gray is either in the backfield (not as QB) or split out with either Weber or Alipate as QB.

What's a greater need, a new quarterback or another receiver? I'm not saying our receivers are that great, but come on!

Continuing to play Weber and having Gray waste a year playing wide receiver would be reason enough to fire both Brewster and Fisch.

Weber would have to get the ball to Gray. Not a sure thing.

I would see Marquis transferring before he would ever allow this to happen.

Maybe Gray would welcome it? Who knows.

If he is moved, put him at RB.

I hope not. With his talent and versatility I hope to see him be a QB primarily, but perhaps throw a few wrinkles where Gray is either in the backfield (not as QB) or split out with either Weber or Alipate as QB.

Alipate will never take a snap at QB for the Gophers.

Maybe Gray would welcome it? Who knows.

If he is moved, put him at RB.

That idea is awfully intriguing...a few more pounds + strength training and he might be another Eddie George or John Clay type of big, overpowering, dominating BT RB with the ability to throw the option!

Of course, that assumes that Ted D produces an OL that could actually create some seams and lanes.

Tell Gray you want him to switch positions, and then sign his transfer papers right after, dumb move....

Maybe Alipate will be switched to WR or RB?
He's 6"5", 255, he's not moving to WR or RB, I'm guessing that if they did switch him (which I would be opposed to) it would be to TE.

The Gophers have good potential both with their current WRs and guys like Maquise Hill coming in. Gray has VY like abilities. He needs to be developed as a QB and become the full time starter next year.

Alipate is a slow pocket passer with less mobility than Weber and we see how well he has fared.

Based on his suckiness and Gray being in front of him

Guys, didn't you know if you get invited to the Under-Armour All-American game it means you suck? At the very least it means that you will never start at the DI level. I thought you guys were smarter than that :rolleyes:.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of BCS teams that would love to have Moses as a QB, and he should definitely be an option for us going forward.

Re Gray...in another thread someone posted along the line that according to Sid, Gray is having a difficult time remembering plays...complicated pro-type playbook and all related...and that is frustrating the coaching staff.

Don't know if this is true or taken out of context re Sid, since it's the first time I've seen a reference to this type of problem re MG here and this should have been worked out in practice.

There was a reference in one ESPN-cast...I think it was the Wisky game...about Gray not showing sufficient accuracy in practice and he was working very hard with coaches to fix that aspect of his game.

In any case, in addition to accuracy, if the playbook memory problem is one of the reasons MG has not seen much PT, then it might be a key factor behind Brew's floating this WR balloon and maybe it will be expanded to a RB balloon.

Whatever, the case, Brew & Co are now thinking outside the box re MG and how to use him now to generate more O and Ws on the field.

That's positive imho.

Or Marquis may say I wasted a year of eligibility handing the ball off or running keepers up the middle a few plays a game. I am now forced to try and learn an offense that I was not recruited to run, why don't I just transfer to a school running the spread.

Or Marquis may say I wasted a year of eligibility handing the ball off or running keepers up the middle a few plays a game. I am now forced to try and learn an offense that I was not recruited to run, why don't I just transfer to a school running the spread.

That might make sense if he wants to sit out a year and take the chance that: his skills won't diminish from the layoff; his new team would actually be running the spread when he was ready to play and on his new team some new recruit/juco might undercut him as the new qb Great Hope.

Lots of ifs to consider...especially when your HC wants to get you on the field in a bigger way to make the current O more effective.

You are an idiot if you think Gray would have rather sit out a year than play this year. Players with that kind of talent want to and need to see the field right away. He is one of our best offensive weapons.
________
Medical marijuana dispensary

You are an idiot if you think Gray would have rather sit out a year than play this year. Players with that kind of talent want to and need to see the field right away. He is one of our best offensive weapons.

You are exactly right. Do you honestly think he is happy with the amount of playing time he got this year and how he was used? He only gets to play 4 years and got virtually no reps this year, and that is fine if the guy in front of you is clearly better but have a hard time believing that Marquis would think this.

I think Gray has all the athleticism to be an NFL caliber wide receiver. I just don't see the NFL for him as a quarterback. I think as long as Weber is our starting QB we might as well play Gray at receiver. He's quite an athlete.

Regarding Gray transferring - do you think he'd be willing to sit out another year? He already sat out one.

Top Bottom