Surprised this wasn't brought up

Shooter had an update

From Thursday PiPress:

The Seantrel Henderson recruiting drama continues to be bizarre. The 6-foot-8 offensive tackle from Cretin-Derham Hall played in a basketball game in the Howard Pulley pro-am league Tuesday night rather than report to the University of Southern California last week, as was planned.

Henderson, who said he's up to 350 pounds (and appears to weigh at least that much), was surprisingly light on his feet getting up and down the floor and showed a nice touch with the ball. But he's clearly playing basketball for fun. He is, though, a football player who will have to lose weight wherever he ends up playing.

USC coach Lane Kiffin and three members of his staff took a private jet to the Twin Cities on Monday to try to persuade Henderson to keep his commitment to the NCAA-penalized school. When asked about USC on Tuesday night, Henderson was in no mood to discuss his status.

It's beginning to look like Henderson, understandably, could be having second thoughts about Kiffin and USC, which cannot play in bowl games the next two seasons while losing 30 scholarships over the next three years.

A little birdie says Henderson was assured by Kiffin during the recruiting process that USC would not receive any serious penalties from the NCAA.

Miami and Ohio State were Henderson's other finalists before USC was so harshly penalized. The problem for Henderson, though, is that he signed with the Trojans, and he would have to sit out a transfer year if he does not follow through with his commitment.

The guess here is that Kiffin's jet ride back to California wasn't a comfortable one.

OVERHEARD

Henderson, asked about his status with USC: "I don't want to talk about that."

Anyone that knows anything about college football knew that USC was going to get dinged. Unfortunately, Seantrel's father steered him wrong. Now he is in a tough spot. Either play on a non-contending team or sit out a year. He should really shake things up by coming to the U.

question?

can the young man get into school....any where? is he academically good to go? Not showing up to a mandatory camp or what ever tells me he is not going to attend USC.

I have zero sympathy for Seantrel's situation. He was well aware of the risks that USC posed. Bottom line is he and his dad got duped. Everyone makes bad decisions at some point in their life. You just gotta live with the consequences.

Four coaches in a private jet makes one figure USC has a major problem on their hands. Henderson may have requested a release from his letter of intent and USC may have to give it to him unless they can change his mind.

I thought he never signed and he had just basically verbally agreed he would show up for fall camp. If this is true he can go anywhere that will take him, without penalty. I could be wrong though.

He delayed quite awhile but I think I remember him actually signing on the dotted line.

I think we've all had enough of this circus. He's not coming here, so who cares.

If I were him, I'd still go to USC. It's still Southern California and now there is one less game for him to get hurt in on his way to the NFL

I have zero sympathy for Seantrel's situation. He was well aware of the risks that USC posed. Bottom line is he and his dad got duped. Everyone makes bad decisions at some point in their life. You just gotta live with the consequences.
I have a little sympathy for the kid. I'd like to think that Seantrel's an adult and he's responsible for his own descisions, but I can't help but think that his old man was doing his best Joe Jackson impersonation.

Any USC player should be allowed out of their commitment. Curious timing for the sanctions, it penalize high school students for actions committed by adults that they have no association with.

Anyone get the impression Seantrel doesn't really care that much about football? I get the same vibe from him and Royce White, they like attention more than their sport. Mbakwe seems desperate to play, White and Henderson indifferent.

Is Seantrel the new Willie Mobley? Held out til the last minute to make a decision, shunned the hometown team, and then sees it blow up in his face? (twice)

Anybody hear anything on Mobley... is he actually going to play at Arizona after trying to get into UCLA?

If Henderson is actually upset about USC he's an idiot. Everyone and their grandma knew something was going to happen to USC.
Ohio state was the obvious safe pick for him and his family and the bright lights obviously got in the way......that is if he is truly upset. Minnesota was the double super safe pick, but Seantrels dad would never have gotten a rap career going in the Twin Cities.

Maybe I'm just cold and heartless, but I seem to have a limited supply of sympathy. I have to dole it out very carefully, and I just seem not to have much sympathy left for people who are presented with life on a silver platter and squander it. I am reminded of a story about geese and golden eggs.

There are people who aren't going to college at all because they just couldn't manage to get a scholarship even at the D-II level. I can spare some sympathy for them. But if Seantrel squanders this, there's a lot of people in line ahead of him.

Minnesota was the double super safe pick, but Seantrels dad would never have gotten a rap career going in the Twin Cities.

You know what's ironic? Minnesota's rap scene is actually starting to take off. Artists like Atmosphere and Brother Ali are local rappers making it big. Heck, even Saint Paul Slim, who laid down "Brew Crew" is a decent rapper.

Sean would have had a better chance at being a rapper in Minnesota than California.

Funny how things work out. :cool02:

I do have sympathy for Seantrel. Although he is a man by most definitions, let's remember that he is still a kid. A kid who took the advice of "trusted individuals" (Kiffin and his father) and received bad advice.

I thought I knew most of the answers when I was 18 or 19 years old too. And I also took some bad advice that, in retrospect, served as lessons. This is a tough lesson for Seantrel, and I would still welcome him here.

There was a thread that thankfully ended shortly ago about Vraa. And to sum up, most people on this board agreed that they will pull for him to do well, since he is a local kid, but probably did not deserve an offer, as illustrated by his lack of offers from BCS schools. I really don't understand why everyone is so ready to say this kid does not deserve the same.

I would prefer that he play at home, but I will wish him good luck wherever he ends up, as long as it's not in the B10.

Vraa chose a scholarship over a walkon. I can respect that, college isn't cheap, it's not up to me to decide how to spend other people's money. But when someone chooses to take a scholarship somewhere else, rather than take a scholarship here, I can't spare the good will. It's bush league to cheer for people who spurn your scholarship offers. It doesn't mean that I have ill will toward them, but my good will is reserved for the players who want to be here.

Fair enough, Rodent. Difference of opinion, and I'm cool with that. We can disagree without being disagreeable.

When people talk about wishing athletes well who choose to go to another school, I think "Why does this person deserve so much good will? After all there are such a vast number of other people who do without our good will". Again, I am not suggesting ill will toward players who don't come here, I pretty much nothing them.

As for sympathy goes, I have a lot less sympathy for someone who puts their own life into a nosedive, and won't pull out of it than somene who has problems that aren't his own doing.

It has never been reported that Seantrel officially qualified academically. As of the middle of this winter he needed to do one of two things: raise his GPA or score higher on the ACT. He was supposed to retake the ACT in February and I think he did but it was never reported how he did so I am assuming he didn't improve. That means he needed to raise his high school GPA. Who knows if he ever did? I don't. I suspect there is more to the story than the USC penalties....

+1.

I'm done hearing about Henderson.

Top Bottom