Surprise, Surprise! Minnesota people get it

anyone calling for his head knows nothing about the importance of building a program and getting talented kids. It takes time people!

The team is taking a bus to Iowa to save $70,000 so what makes people think they have the money to buy out Brewster is they fire him?

Looses or loses?

I will contribute to the buyout fund. I want a decent coach, not a windbag with no brains

Looses or loses?

I will contribute to the buyout fund. I want a decent coach, not a windbag with no brains

Then I assume you are a Brewster supporter? Do you mean you are contributing to Mason's buyout? Because you have a decent coach who is neither a windbag or brainless.

Considering there are ways to vote multiple times, and the sample-size so far isn't that large, I would read ZERO into that poll at this moment.

Considering there are ways to vote multiple times, and the sample-size so far isn't that large, I would read ZERO into that poll at this moment.

please doogie! come on! yeah, because that is what brewster fans are doing....they are sitting at their computers changing their IP addresses just so they can vote for brewster multiple times. get a clue! and don't think for a second that there aren't transplant becky and hogeye fans who live in minneapolis now that are voting against brewster purely out of spite.

so please stop acting so pety and childish and just give brewster his due for once. or would that upset your annoying and clueless little buddies (i.e reusse and souhan) over at the mpls star tribune who are obsessed with hating brewster? :rolleyes:

Bronko -- If anything, the Iowa and Wisconsin fans would vote to keep him ... I'm guessing that they want Brewster here for a long time.

Once again when given the opportunity either side with the Gophers or against it you take the negative. You are so transparent. It's really sad how little objectivity you continually express. Embarassing really.

I'm surprised you're not spending your evening clicking away trying to counter this huge onslaught of Brewster supporters trying to unfairly skew this poll.

Schnoodler -- I am on record saying he deserves a 4th year ... I am also on record saying when S. Henderson goes elsewhere, NO ONE should be mad w/ Brewster ... I am a realist who has some expectations ... no Big Ten wins in November, no wins in trophy games, no signature wins, and no wins against ranked teams is bothersome ... now he can erase all of those with a win Saturday ... also the way they have played this year is troublesome ... the penalties for a 2nd straight year are a major issue, no run game, no 3rd down defense, back-to-back timeouts (and not knowing what the play clock was to be set at ... watch the replay, he is asking the official if it's 25 sec. or 40 sec.) etc... In year No. 3, I expected just a little bit more ... if you want to call me negative for that, be my pleasure, but I don't have a lot of stuff that says: This program is headed in a great direction ... the talent level is up a bit, but looking at the offers his recruits have gotten the last 2 years doesn't compare to when he 1st got here ... many ways to evaluate a recruit, but for me, I look at the other offers he has ... I like to see BCS conf. schools ... those are missing for the most part ... I just need to see more positivity.

No doogie, you are a negative nellie that spends too much time with would be professionals who confuse snark with journalism.

That seems obvious. Even those who are most down on Brewster have to realize he'll be retained at least through the end of next season.

As others have pointed out, he would be back for financial reasons even if Maturi was inclined to cut him loose, which he isn't.

What I am interested in seeing is how differently the team will perform as more of Brewster's recruits take the field replacing Mason's kids. We did redshirt many of the freshmen this year, right? Hopefully another year of experience (for both the players and the coach) and a simplified playbook will yield better results on the field. Changing offensive philosophies like Brewster did in moving from Dunbar to Fisch will put any team back for a while... I think Michigan's current troubles show that as well.

That seems obvious. Even those who are most down on Brewster have to realize he'll be retained at least through the end of next season.

...evidently not, as the poll appears to still be going.

I think the only thing we can read in to this is that we have some really stupid fans if they honestly think there will even be a conversation about firing Brewster this season. Also, evidently Schnoodler is going to be Doogie's "pleasure" (and no, guys, I don't want to know what that means).

Apparently Brewster did something extremely wrong to someone in the local media. The reporters in this town probably have the Gopher's football program, at best, 5th on their list of importance...but they relentlessly go after this guy. The truth is that the team is about exactly where it has been for the last 7-8 years, but it is adding a new level of talent. If we're still spinning our wheels in 2-3 years, then we have a discussion. But such a low level of professionalism by our media is astounding...they absolutely get pleasure in ripping this program. The Wild and Wolves are getting a pass and they're going after Brewster???? What a bunch of clowns! If we were 9-3, there would be zero coverage.

I don't get the disappointment in Brew's coaching. It's going to be great when it clicks and 6-6/7-5 becomes 8-4/9-3.

While Brewster did himself no favors with the local media when he came into town talking of Rose Bowls and whatnot, I think the anti-Gopher Football biases of the local sports guys was entrenched long before that. Wacker & Mason did a good job setting the table in terms of a negative bias towards the program.

The only positivity these guys will truly accept is sustained better results on the field.

While Brewster did himself no favors with the local media when he came into town talking of Rose Bowls and whatnot, I think the anti-Gopher Football biases of the local sports guys was entrenched long before that. Wacker & Mason did a good job setting the table in terms of a negative bias towards the program.

The only positivity these guys will truly accept is sustained better results on the field.

Unfortunately, I have to sort of agree. There were a handful of people mocking Brewster the second he came in here talking about Rose Bowls. I don't think it's anywhere near the majority, but there's definitely a clutch of fans and commentariat out there who think his whole personality is a joke, and never for a second believed this team could ever compete at the highest levels.

I don't get the disappointment in Brew's coaching. It's going to be great when it clicks and 6-6/7-5 becomes 8-4/9-3.

The play has been so inconsistent that there is no definative trend. The slide at the end of last year and the 55-0 drubbing was embarassing. The same thing seems to be happening this year. They can barely beat SDSU in the second to last game and play a strong Iowa team in the last game again. Let's see if they are competitive on Saturday. Another drubbing would indicate that they have not developed as a team throughout the season. I would say it definately points to the coaching. Do you want to continue with the late season slides. How long do you give him.

Now the real reason, he is squandering the kickoff season of the new stadium. It is already not filling to capacity. There are economic reasons to not let that continue. The only way that is going to turn around is by putting a competitive team on the field. Blowout home games next year against Southern Cal, Penn State, Ohio State, and Iowa would certainly put a dent in the ability to attract a crowd the following season. That is what I believe will drive the decision on Brewster.

Now the real reason, he is squandering the kickoff season of the new stadium. It is already not filling to capacity. There are economic reasons to not let that continue. The only way that is going to turn around is by putting a competitive team on the field. Blowout home games next year against Southern Cal, Penn State, Ohio State, and Iowa would certainly put a dent in the ability to attract a crowd the following season. That is what I believe will drive the decision on Brewster.

I've seen this argument a couple of different places, and I don't get it. It seems like there's a train of thought out there that says the stadium is some sort of all-in gimmick to lure a bunch of new fans to the stadium for a year or two, then hope they stick with it after. I've always assumed that we would see a nice little spike in attention this year (which has happened, though it's not generally the kind of attention I would have hoped for), but that most of the benefits will start showing after 5 or more years, when traditions are slowly built, the campus re-forms itself around the idea of hosting football games, and the team (hopefully) gradually improves. Am I alone in this? Do people think fans are going to leave in droves because all of the sudden the expectations are so much higher, while the product on the field hasn't improved?

"many ways to evaluate a recruit, but for me, I look at the other offers he has ... I like to see BCS conf. schools ... those are missing for the most part ..."

I have to agree with Doogie here. Recruiting was suppose to be Brewster's strong suit. You can count all the stars a recruit gets from Rivals but what the schools that are offering is of importance.

For many of the 2010 recruits the offers from BCS conf schools are lacking.

doogie knows that if he gets run out of here, like his last few jobs, he can always bring his journalism degree to the scout administrators.;)

Do people think fans are going to leave in droves because all of the sudden the expectations are so much higher, while the product on the field hasn't improved?

Judging by the empty seats at the SDSU game....yep.

The honeymoon for the stadium lasted about two months. For the Wild it lasted for about 7-8 years.

Only run (loose term) out of one ... GI had me aboard for just spring practice ... that ended in an odd way I'll grant you, but would've ended regardless ... then GH called ... I was hoping for CBS college sports TV, but have a face made for radio :)

Coach Brewster is a passionate man. He wants a Championship Team. The schedule is tougher, which is a good thing. The defense is flying around (work needed on third downs and getting off the field). The offensive line must improve....we need animals (on both sides of the ball) on the line. Quarterback must be consistent....he is the leader. A star running back would be nice. Many of Brew's recruits have not seen the field......Talk about getting rid of him is silly at this point.....Give him a chance.....We are headed in the right direction

Bronko -- If anything, the Iowa and Wisconsin fans would vote to keep him ... I'm guessing that they want Brewster here for a long time.

again with the constant negativity. move on doogie, move on!

anyways, it is becoming embarassing just how transparent you are in your disdain for brewster. you are not objective. also, please stop referring to yourself as either a journalist or a member of the media. you have not earned those credentials yet.

I think what Doogie says there is probably true. Most Wiconsin/Iowa/etc fans seem to express disdain for Brewster. They may very well be wrong but that doesn't make Doogie's statement negative or whatever.

Bronko -- You disagree?
You are entitled to your opinion ... I will beg to differ and while we fail to agree most of the time, I respect you, and would hope you could be able to reciprocate ... I have worked in this market for 13+ years in many roles at many stations/websites in just about every capacity imaginable ... in addition, have a journalism degree from the "U".

I don't know why you bother, Doogie. You're swimming upstream.

Simply put, you don't fire college coaches after three seasons on the job when you go to two bowl games in those three seasons. You HAVE to give the man a reasonable shot at really trying to turn this thing around, and three years isn't it, especially considering that first year was pretty much wasted coming in mid January.

As far as recruiting, yeah, it's still better than the best of the previous regime's classes, so I'm willing to cut some slack for one "down" year. Another note to make, is about where he is recruiting. RB is a weak spot for us, and he's got RBs coming in with multiple BCS offers. OL is a little weak. He's got some OLs coming in with a few BCS offers. He's also got a couple WRs with a bunch of BCS offers. These are spots where we could use some more high quality, as anyone watching our offense can attest to. Yeah, on the defensive side, I'm a little more concerned, but we got a lot of defensive, highly regarded talent already here. I don't think the priority was as strong on that side of the ball except for at CB, which is the only spot where I'm kinda disappointed about what's being brought in a little bit, but even a couple of those guys got BCS offers.

Top Bottom