Surprise Last Minute Signing - Predictions

46Gophers

Reaction score
So is there a chance for a last minute signing in the works? ILB - Clax, OLB - Spearman, TE - Johnson??? Post your predictions. I think we may see Clax and possibly Spearman. No info., just a WAG.

I don't expect any surprise additions.

I don't expect any surprise additions.
I have no expectations either way, but if Clax has not taken visits, there are issues with his admission. I am surprised that they seem to want an OLB, because Davis looked a lot more like an MLB, or DL, but to me their priorities are hard to follow.

I have no expectations either way, but if Clax has not taken visits, there are issues with his admission. I am surprised that they seem to want an OLB, because Davis looked a lot more like an MLB, or DL, but to me their priorities are hard to follow.

One can never tell if it translates to eligibility, but according to Scout, Clax had a 4.2/5.0 GPA and had taken a number of honor courses as a junior. Again, there may be test score issues or something like that, but from first glance, it doesn't appear that Clax would be an academic casualty.

I don't expect any changes to the class as currently listed. I'd certainly take both Spearman and Clax as the OP suggested.

Someone on here last night said we offered A.J. Natter from Milton, Wisconsin. Don't know much about him, but he also has offers from Nebraska and Purdue.

One can never tell if it translates to eligibility, but according to Scout, Clax had a 4.2/5.0 GPA and had taken a number of honor courses as a junior. Again, there may be test score issues or something like that, but from first glance, it doesn't appear that Clax would be an academic casualty.

I don't expect any changes to the class as currently listed. I'd certainly take both Spearman and Clax as the OP suggested.

Someone on here last night said we offered A.J. Natter from Milton, Wisconsin. Don't know much about him, but he also has offers from Nebraska and Purdue.
Natter is a junior. He's part of the 2013 class. Whereas Minnesota high school football was strong this year and Wisconsin was weak, the inverse looks to be the case next year.

At 28 guys, I think we're done. We haven't taken a guy who hasn't visited (Clax and Spearman have not), and the other guys who have, other than Gregory, have pledged to someone else.

Well, I doubt Natter will sign then. Thanks for pointing out that he's a junior. I have to learn how to read.

GopherProf has it right, it's a strong season next year in WI and relatively down in MN. I do think there are two good MLB prospects, so I wouldn't be surprised if we decide to not add another LB.

If we grab someone late, I expect them to be local.....

If they do, I think it'll be Drake Michaelson. I just don't think they could possibly be comfortable enough the Clax. They know Drake, they've already put a lot of time into him, and if they really think this class "needs" another LB, I think it'll be Drake Michaelson. I don't see this scenario playing out unless Nicholson's academic issues don't get resolved.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Harden get an offer if Hinojosa goes elsewhere. I know that is probably 100% rumor, but we'll see. It's similar to the Michaelson thing, they know Harden, they liked him enough to spend a lot of time on JR days and visits. If Hinojosa goes elsewhere, I expect them to just not bring in another DT or go with Harden.

Same goes for Webb and the Dinero Moss situation. There have been some rumors about Dinero Moss's eligibility, if something happens there and Webb's academics are in order, this wouldn't surprise me either.

GopherProf has it right, it's a strong season next year in WI and relatively down in MN. I do think there are two good MLB prospects, so I wouldn't be surprised if we decide to not add another LB.

If we grab someone late, I expect them to be local.....

If they do, I think it'll be Drake Michaelson. I just don't think they could possibly be comfortable enough the Clax. They know Drake, they've already put a lot of time into him, and if they really think this class "needs" another LB, I think it'll be Drake Michaelson. I don't see this scenario playing out unless Nicholson's academic issues don't get resolved.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Harden get an offer if Hinojosa goes elsewhere. I know that is probably 100% rumor, but we'll see. It's similar to the Michaelson thing, they know Harden, they liked him enough to spend a lot of time on JR days and visits. If Hinojosa goes elsewhere, I expect them to just not bring in another DT or go with Harden.

Same goes for Webb and the Dinero Moss situation. There have been some rumors about Dinero Moss's eligibility, if something happens there and Webb's academics are in order, this wouldn't surprise me either.

Makes sense to me.

Why have people been talking about Hinojosa going elsewhere? Because he didn't come for spring term? I thought it was established as a paperwork problem?

Why have people been talking about Hinojosa going elsewhere? Because he didn't come for spring term? I thought it was established as a paperwork problem?

How many times the past have we heard "paperwork" derailed a signee?

There's also a difference between graduating early and enrolling in the spring and graduating normally and enrolling in the fall.

Probably nothing earth shattering if at all...It does not seem like Kill is determined this year anyway to try and sway any supposed big name recruit to come our way. Just not the same hype or energy in that direction as with Brewster. Not saying that in a bad way btw...;)

The way everything stands right now I'll be more interested in seeing who accepts PWO deals (than holding out hope for a surprise signing day commit). I've been impressed with the players Kill has gotten so far.

Does anyone have updated information if there are any visitors this weekend? I know we had the list in another thread, but with McDonald signing and some of the other kids committing elsewhere, wonder if we are hosting anyone.

Brian Nicholson is visiting, but he's already committed. I haven't seen anything else.

thanks for the clarification on Clax. I should not have brought it up w/o checking.

Probably nothing earth shattering if at all...It does not seem like Kill is determined this year anyway to try and sway any supposed big name recruit to come our way. Just not the same hype or energy in that direction as with Brewster. Not saying that in a bad way btw...;)

As far as swaying any "big name recruits," my gut tells me that Kill goes after the kids that he wants, and his coaching staff wants. If they happen to be "big name recruits," fine - but I get the sense that Kill doesn't pay much attention to star ratings or internet sites when making offers. Bottom line - I have the feeling that Kill is going after players he can get, who will also help the team. At some point in the future, if the Gophs win some games and elevate their national profile, then maybe we'll see them go after some marquee players - but they would still have to be players who fit Kill's criteria. Again, this is based on my gut, but listening to Kill, I think he would consider chasing 5-star recruits to be a waste of time, unless he felt there was a very good chance of landing them.

Now, if there is a 5-star type in MN, that's a different kettle of fish - like Tyus Jones in basketball. That's the type of player you have to go after. (But personally, I don't have much confidence that Tubby will land Jones for the Gophers.)

Jazzmar Clax committed to UConn this morning. In this case, I doubt his offer was still good anyway.

I seriously think we're done. Bring in 26 this class + 2 greyshirts. If someone doesn't qualify, give the scholly to a walk-on or let one of the greyshirts have it.

Top Bottom