Supreme Court: Misinformation Is a Threat

MennoSota

Reaction score

Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Neil Gorsuch agree: Misinformation is threat to America​

"Democracies fall apart from within," Justice Gorsuch warned with Sotomayor.

sonia-sotomayor-kamala-harris-01-gty-llr-210116_1610822710048_hpMain_2_16x9_992.jpg
They are ideological opposites on the U.S. Supreme Court, but Wednesday Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Neil Gorsuch united in a rare, joint public appearance to declare the spread of misinformation on social media an urgent threat to national security.
"I'm less concerned in some ways about foreign enemies," Gorsuch said in virtual remarks during an event hosted by the nonpartisan National Security Institute and Center for Strategic and International Studies. "The topic we're talking about is internal … if we don't tend to the garden of democracy and the conditions that make it right, it's not an automatic thing."
Sotomayor cited a recent study from MIT which found false news stories are 70% more likely to be retweeted than true stories are. "That's frightening, isn't it," she said, "that people don't learn about truthful statements as much as false statements through social media. That is a true threat to our national security."
Neither Gorsuch nor Sotomayor explicitly mentioned former President Donald Trump, the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection or Russian meddling in the last two U.S. elections. But recent events clearly appeared to be on their minds as both justices directly spoke of the need to combat intolerance, hate and divisiveness.
"Democracies fall apart from within," Gorsuch noted. "They crumble because (one faction) seeks to impose its will on others rather than to work together to resolve our differences through lawful processes."
"Manners, listening, tolerance," he continued. "Those have become bad words. I am very concerned."
As Justice Stephen Breyer did in an impassioned two-hour address last week, Sotomayor sought to directly refute the narrative that the Supreme Court is a partisan institution.
"We all fundamentally respect each other," she said of her peers, which now include a six-member conservative majority. "They're as passionate as I am about upholding all of those things. We disagree about how to get there. But I don't start with impugning their motives. And I think a lot of misinformation today starts that way."
Gorsuch added, "Everybody focuses on the few cases where Justice Sotomayor and I tend to disagree this year, OK. It happens. We do it respectfully -- even lovingly sometimes."
"And passionately," Sotomayor interjected.
"And passionately," Gorsuch agreed. "It's part of the love. Part of the love."
The justices did not discuss recent partisan proposals to expand the court or overhaul its terms of membership. Both Sotomayor and Gorsuch have made advocacy for expanded civics education a key part of their tenure on the bench.
The court reconvenes on Monday for the final two weeks of oral arguments of the current term.

goldengophers

Reaction score
I quit Facebook five years ago and it was a great decision, Zuckerberg only cares about profit and share value. To think I went from ecstatic about my .edu being let in to today is just unfathomable.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Social media needs to be federally regulated, and social media platforms -- including message boards! -- who allow members to post things need to be liable for the content of the posts.

Objective facts

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
I quit Facebook five years ago and it was a great decision, Zuckerberg only cares about profit and share value. To think I went from ecstatic about my .edu being let in to today is just unfathomable.
Fair enough.

But let's be real for a second: back in 2004, it was quite a different thing than what it is today.

goldengophers

Reaction score
Fair enough.

But let's be real for a second: back in 2004, it was quite a different thing than what it is today.
For sure it went from an online college directory with positive innovations (pictures/some apps) to just an incessant slippery slope of advertising, info gathering, and misinformation/outrage.

MennoSota

Reaction score
"Democracies fall apart from within," Gorsuch noted. "They crumble because (one faction) seeks to impose its will on others rather than to work together to resolve our differences through lawful processes."
"Manners, listening, tolerance," he continued. "Those have become bad words. I am very concerned."
What is clear is that radical groups and their ideologies will have nothing to do with tolerance. Hell, the lack of tolerance on this board is a microcosm of what Sotomayer and Gorsuch are discussing.

KGF

Reaction score
Speaking of misinformation, Justices Sotomayor and Breyer are doling it out.

bga1

Reaction score
Yeah. That’s bad. As was Gorsuch’s misinfo on how many flu deaths there typically are per year
How many flu deaths did Gorsuch say there are per year?

KGF

Reaction score
How many flu deaths did Gorsuch say there are per year?
He said 100s of thousands. Typically around 30K, but as high as 50-60K if I’m not mistaken.

Wally

Reaction score
The justices statements demonstrate that old people should hold no position of consequence or power. They definitely shouldn't vote.

Section2

Reaction score
there is no perfect body to decide what is true and what is not. WaPos fact checkers are a joke. The government would be the worst body to try to be the arbiters of truth. Stop worrying about it so much. Fight bad arguments and misinformation with better arguments and facts. Better yet, let’s get some actual journalism in this country and less activism. Our media completely destroyed themselves because they so despised Trump. It will take time but better institutions will emerge and replace these lunatics. Or the left will get its way and implement Soviet style control. Howie will cheer.

Section2

Reaction score
The justices statements demonstrate that old people should hold no position of consequence or power. They definitely shouldn't vote.
Disagree. You’d never see Thomas clowning himself like these two. Sotomayor isn’t even old.

Spoofin

Reaction score
It's only "misinformation" if it disagrees with the story you're trying to push
Correct.
If you say 100K when it is 30K, it is an honest mistake. If you say 20K when it is 30K you are lying.

KGF

Reaction score
Yeah. That’s bad. As was Gorsuch’s misinfo on how many flu deaths there typically are per year
Wow. Turns out Gorsuch DID NOT say “hundreds of thousands” die of flu each year.

That was media misinformation. Imagine that?

The Supreme Court released an amended version of its Saturday oral argument transcripts in order to correct an error involving a question asked by Associate Justice Neil Gorsuch.

During oral arguments against President Joe Biden’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate for companies employing more than 100 individuals, Gorsuch asked why the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) does not mandate vaccines for other illnesses, such as the flu.

“We have flu vaccines. The flu kills, I believe, hundreds, thousands of people every year. OSHA has never purported to regulate on that basis,” the justice noted.

@bga1

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
there is no perfect body to decide what is true and what is not. WaPos fact checkers are a joke. The government would be the worst body to try to be the arbiters of truth. Stop worrying about it so much. Fight bad arguments and misinformation with better arguments and facts. Better yet, let’s get some actual journalism in this country and less activism. Our media completely destroyed themselves because they so despised Trump. It will take time but better institutions will emerge and replace these lunatics. Or the left will get its way and implement Soviet style control. Howie will cheer.
Remember, in a legal response, Facebook said their fact checkers are nothing more than opinions

Section2

Reaction score
Remember, in a legal response, Facebook said their fact checkers are nothing more than opinions
I have yet to see a fact checker that is anything but opinion. Once you start delving into context, and what you think they really mean, you are no longer checking facts.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Wow. Turns out Gorsuch DID NOT say “hundreds of thousands” die of flu each year.

I read somewhere that MSM bias has been debunked.

Some guy

Reaction score

The Supreme Court released an amended version of its Saturday oral argument transcripts in order to correct an error involving a question asked by Associate Justice Neil Gorsuch.

During oral arguments against President Joe Biden’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate for companies employing more than 100 individuals, Gorsuch asked why the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) does not mandate vaccines for other illnesses, such as the flu.

“We have flu vaccines. The flu kills, I believe, hundreds, thousands of people every year. OSHA has never purported to regulate on that basis,” the justice noted.

@bga1
Is it media misinformation if the Supreme Court released transcripts were wrong?

Now the media should probably issue corrections if they had reported what the Supreme Court released previously (but no one will read it)

I would argue the Supreme Court shouldnt have released bad transcripts.

if you release a statement and the media quotes your statement but then it turns out the statement had a typo…is that the media’s fault for reporting your statement? Or is it your fault for bad editing? I would argue the former.

it does look like Sotomayor is a bigger dumbass than Gorsuch now

Last edited:

Some guy

Reaction score
I read somewhere that MSM bias has been debunked.
Do you think it is MSMs fault for reporting a bad transcript or the Supreme court’s fault for releasing a bad transcript in this case?

kg21

Reaction score
kavanaugh and Barrett were going to destroy America as we know it. Nothing has changed.

I cant believe MSM screwed this up, too.

KGF

Reaction score
Is it media misinformation if the Supreme Court released transcripts were wrong?

Now the media should probably issue corrections if they had reported what the Supreme Court released previously (but no one will read it)

I would argue the Supreme Court shouldnt have released bad transcripts.

if you release a statement and the media quotes your statement but then it turns out the statement had a typo…is that the media’s fault for reporting your statement? Or is it your fault for bad editing? I would argue the former.

it does look like Sotomayor is a bigger dumbass than Gorsuch now
The media is present and records the Justices comments directly. They don’t wait for the SCOTUS document. It’s their job, especially if they make an accusation, to double check the audio.

Some guy

Reaction score
The media is present and records the Justices comments directly. They don’t wait for the SCOTUS document. It’s their job, especially if they make an accusation, to double check the audio.
99% of people who report on the Supreme Court aren’t at the oral arguments

so I’m going to at least partially blame the Supreme Court for releasing inaccurate transcripts

KGF

Reaction score
99% of people who report on the Supreme Court aren’t at the oral arguments

so I’m going to at least partially blame the Supreme Court for releasing inaccurate transcripts
I can tell you this, if Sotomayor’s comments were incorrectly reported on Fox News, @howeda7 would be going apeshit over the mistake.

Guarantee.

Top Bottom