Sumlin to Illinois

Dirk Diggler

Reaction score
@wischlist: My sources are telling me that it's Kevin Sumlin to Illinois. Announcement could be coming within hours #illini #takethisforwhatitsworth

Thoughts? I like this hire for them if true. Damn!

Could work out. Would seem to fit their current offensive personnel pretty well.

It appears that his name has come up along with that of Todd Monken, at this point, it doesn't appear either has gotten farther than to be included in the conversation.

@wischlist: My sources are telling me that it's Kevin Sumlin to Illinois. Announcement could be coming within hours #illini #takethisforwhatitsworth

Thoughts? I like this hire for them if true. Damn!

It's only a good hire if you make a commitment to defense. Ask RichRod. You don't survive in the B1G if you don't play defense.

Will be interesting to see if this works in a run dominated league, although it will make the two divisions very different. The West will have all teams that think the run is the basis for football (except NW), while the East will have Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State and Purdue, which will be some version of pass or spread based offenses going against the most run oriented teams in the league in Wisconsin and PSU (historically).
Will be very interesting if Sumlin gets it. Personally, I guess I will be surprised if he takes it, not because it could not be a good job, but I had the impression he likes the TX area. But if I remember right he is a Purdue grad and coached here and at Purdue, so he knows his way around the Midwest.
As for committing to defense, I agree completely. He will be coaching against teams with more talent than he has, at least for a while. He can't be mediocre or worse at half the game and win in this conference.

That would be a great hire for Illinois. Like others have said, he really does need to make a commitment to defense but Sumlin makes a lot of sense at Illinois. Illinois always has a lot of good athletes and now he has some good ties to Texas. It'll be interesting to see what happens with that kind of offense in the Big 10. We were constantly told that Mike Leach's offense couldn't work in the Big 10 and Sumlin's isn't much different. I personally think that any offense can work anywhere, but I guess we'll see. I hope Sumlin goes to A&M or somewhere outside of our conference though, I think he's a good coach.

The West will have all teams that think the run is the basis for football (except NW), while the East will have Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State and Purdue, which will be some version of pass or spread based offenses going against the most run oriented teams in the league in Wisconsin and PSU (historically).

That is interesting, except I consider Meyer's offense to be similar to ours. It's a spread, but it's a run dominant spread type of offense (with a lot of power running). In his good stretch at Florida, they were running the ball 60% of the time.

As it stands now Sumlin is the number one choice at both A&M and Illinois. A&M already has ongoing discussions with Sumlin, if the Illini want to sign him, they need to geet going.

Top Bottom