Suggestions for Senior Night

Todd McTodderson

Todd McTodderson
Reaction score
I hate how people get caught up in senior night and say how each senior should start. The Gophers should do the complete opposite and not play Westbrook or Bostick. Tubby owes nothing to this senior class, the only one he recruited was Bostick and look how well that worked out for him. Johnson is the only senior worth playing, because he has put in the effort and works hard without complaining.

Here is the line-up that should start
G-Cobbs
G-Devoe
F-Williams
F-Johnson
C-Sampson III

Tubby will never do this line-up. Cobbs and Williams pretty much had a wasted year this year. They both could have gained valuable experience, but Tubby decided to keep Westbrook happy.

I would love it too if Westbrook started and Tubby pulled after the first dead ball and he sat the rest of the game. Wishful thinking on my part, but I cannot wait until I don't have to watch a game with Westbrook playing in it.

Senior Night Checklist

1. Play with great effort.

2. Play like you care, preferably with at least a little emotion.

3. Play well.

4. Win. Match last season's Big Ten regular-season record (not what we wanted but it'll have to do).

5. (fans) Thank the seniors after the game (whether one likes likes them or not) with a hearty round of applause.

6. Buckle on your chin strap, board a plane and -- win or lose -- play like your life depends on it in Indianapolis. I don't need to see any more (lack of) efforts like the two Michigan games.

1. Play with great effort. (Can be done without Westbrook and Bostick)

2. Play like you care, preferably with at least a little emotion. (Can be done without Westbrook and Bostick)

3. Play well. (Can be done without Westbrook and Bostick)

4. Win. Match last season's Big Ten regular-season record (not what we wanted but it'll have to do).

5. (fans) Thank the seniors after the game (whether one likes likes them or not) with a hearty round of applause. (Will not clap for Westbrook)

6. Buckle on your chin strap, board a plane and -- win or lose -- play like your life depends on it in Indianapolis. I don't need to see any more (lack of) efforts like the two Michigan games. (One and BBQ if we play like Tuesday)

No argument here on the potential for a "1 and BBQ." Penn State has played their guts out all season, despite their record. If the Gophers don't show up vs. Penn State (assuming we stay #6 & Nitts remain #11), I could see us getting roasted.

Great Idea

I hate how people get caught up in senior night and say how each senior should start. The Gophers should do the complete opposite and not play Westbrook or Bostick. Tubby owes nothing to this senior class, the only one he recruited was Bostick and look how well that worked out for him. Johnson is the only senior worth playing, because he has put in the effort and works hard without complaining.

Here is the line-up that should start
G-Cobbs
G-Devoe
F-Williams
F-Johnson
C-Sampson III

Tubby will never do this line-up. Cobbs and Williams pretty much had a wasted year this year. They both could have gained valuable experience, but Tubby decided to keep Westbrook happy.

I would love it too if Westbrook started and Tubby pulled after the first dead ball and he sat the rest of the game. Wishful thinking on my part, but I cannot wait until I don't have to watch a game with Westbrook playing in it.

Great idea for Tubby, if he were a very small man with zero character.

Tubby would never follow your suggestion and I can't think of an NCAA coach that would.

Start the seniors. Period.

Start the seniors. Period.

Oddly, and I don't know if others caught it at the beginning of the game, they mentioned Beilein would not be starting all of his seniors but they would get playing time last night.

I do agree. Start our seniors.

Gibson ??

Oddly, and I don't know if others caught it at the beginning of the game, they mentioned Beilein would not be starting all of his seniors but they would get playing time last night.

I do agree. Start our seniors.

Jeebus. Michigan only has two seniors, Sims and Gibson. Gibson did not start? I didn't notice.

If Beilein did not start Gibson, Beilein is one BFA IMHO.

Jeebus. Michigan only has two seniors, Sims and Gibson. Gibson did not start? I didn't notice.

If Beilein did not start Gibson, Beilein is one BFA IMHO.

Michigan's other senior is Anthony Wright. He did not start. Did play. Did hit a 3-pt shot even though he was shooting 20% from 3pt range this year. Unreal.

That said, there are lots of coaches out there who don't start seniors on Senior Day. We went through this last year and it seems to me only about half of the Big Ten coaches started their "non-starting" seniors on Senior Day.

I don't see any big need to start Bostick. I personally would not. Nothing personal, but this isn't intramurals. You start the game with your best lineup, IMO. DJ and West have been starting, so they can go. I am in complete disagreement with the OP who suggests we don't play the seniors at all. That's plain silly. They'll play. They'll get their applause. Hopefully, they'll go out winners.

I'm not big on starting the seniors just for the sake of starting them. Whether they play or not, they'll get their recognition at some point during the evening.

I wonder if Westbrook will get booed?

I would start them all, then pull Westy and DB at the 1st tv timeout for the rest of the game.

tj

Michigan's other senior is Anthony Wright. He did not start. Did play. Did hit a 3-pt shot even though he was shooting 20% from 3pt range this year. Unreal.

That said, there are lots of coaches out there who don't start seniors on Senior Day. We went through this last year and it seems to me only about half of the Big Ten coaches started their "non-starting" seniors on Senior Day.

I don't see any big need to start Bostick. I personally would not. Nothing personal, but this isn't intramurals. You start the game with your best lineup, IMO. DJ and West have been starting, so they can go. I am in complete disagreement with the OP who suggests we don't play the seniors at all. That's plain silly. They'll play. They'll get their applause. Hopefully, they'll go out winners.

odd, rivals/yahoo lists Wright as a Junior. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/max/roster

Si lists him as a senior.

Oh well, if Wright is a senior I would have started him too. What is the big deal anyway? It isn't like Michigan was playing for anything. Four or five minutes of a couple non starters on the court at the beginning instead of the middle shouldn't ruin Beilein's career. He is a BFA.

I would also start Bostick against Iowa.

His last chance to start an NCAA game. It may not be intramurals but the game means nothing for god sakes and it would mean something to him to start.

After what I saw on the court at Michigan what possible difference could it make?

My mother taught me, when in doubt, do the right thing.

Starting the seniors is the right thing to do. IMHO.

Seriously?

How is starting the seniors the right thing to do? Please explain.

Seriously, you need to have it explained to you? :confused:

They have been on the team, practicing and working for however many years and this being their last home game, their last chance to start an NCAA game, it is the right thing to do, IMO, to let them start.

In our case Bostick is the only non starting senior. Obviously DJ and Westy will start.

What the heck does it cost us to make the gesture?

You think Iowa is going to run up the score due to 5 minutes of Bostick on the floor at the start of the game?

How is acting more immature than the seniors a good way to show we think they didn't show enough leadership?

Tubby started Jonathan williams and abu shamala, he's starting all the seniors.

We should have been playing the young guys all year, but Tubby wasted valuable experience that they could have gained on the likes of these losers, except for DJ. He is the only player that I will miss next year.

We should have been playing the young guys all year, but Tubby wasted valuable experience that they could have gained on the likes of these losers, except for DJ. He is the only player that I will miss next year.

WTF are you talking about? Bostick has been the 10th guy off the bench all season seeing very limited minutes. Westbrooks minutes and role have been significantly reduced as the year has gone by. If Al Nolen was still eligible and Joseph wasn't forced to play the point, Westy's numbers would have gone down even more.

So Tubby should teach the senior starters playing their last home game of their career against a bottom feeder rival by benching them? What does that accomplish besides alienating graduating seniors?

How are Bostick and Westbrook the majority of the team? They are the losers of the team. Bostick played more than he should have. Why couldn't Cobbs handle the point?

Top Bottom