Sugar Bowl thread... Michigan vs Virginia Tech

Cobra

former west banker
Reaction score
Wolverines off to a slow start.

5nmf.jpg

They seem to complain after numerous plays looking for flags. Seem like born on third base whiners, I hope the Hokies pull it out.

You've got a dynamic playmaker and 40 seconds left with 2 timeouts. Why Michigan let VA Tech run that clock all the way down in regulation baffles me. Look how far Wisconsin went last night on that last drive.

Man. I thought that was a catch. Then the missed FG, that's a tough way to lose.

Man. I thought that was a catch. Then the missed FG, that's a tough way to lose.

I thought no way they overturn the call on the field. Tough loss for VTech - seemed they outplayed Michigan. Some bad breaks and really strange plays like the fake punt.

That was a TD catch by Tech. What is a catch these days??

I was sitting here arguing with my son saying there was no way they'd overturn that catch. I told him that it also wouldn't have been overturned of the ref had initially ruled it incomplete. I kept saying no way. Now my kid thinks his old man doesn't know anything about football.

Isn't it a penalty for a lineman to be 10 yards downfield when a pass is thrown? i.e. when Michigan botched the field goal attempt and the center caught the ball 15 yards downfield. I know the pass was tipped but he was still 10 yards downfield when it was thrown, and that's an illegal man down field, doesn't matter if the ball is tipped/deflected beyond the line of scrimmage.

Isn't it a penalty for a lineman to be 10 yards downfield when a pass is thrown? i.e. when Michigan botched the field goal attempt and the center caught the ball 15 yards downfield. I know the pass was tipped but he was still 10 yards downfield when it was thrown, and that's an illegal man down field, doesn't matter if the ball is tipped/deflected beyond the line of scrimmage.

I thought that too. Pretty rare to see a lineman catch a deflection down field like that.

On the game winning field goal, is it a false start penalty if the kicker takes a step forward before the ball is snapped?

On the game winning field goal, is it a false start penalty if the kicker takes a step forward before the ball is snapped?

That was my first thought as well. Don't know the rule, and I'm not going to look it up.

I also knew the VaTech kicker was going to miss. He didn't look ready when the ball was snapped. I think it threw his timing off. Just enough to push it right.

Noticed the kicker moving as well. I've got to believe it's a penalty.

Linemen downfield and kickers moving early

Yes, the game was that exciting

Reading ESPN today, you would think that Michigan was beaten by 40 points, by a JV squad from the SEC, despite the fact they weren't even playing a team from the SEC. Apparently the B1G reputation goes down even when it wins BCS games.

ESPN just has a formula that must work for viewership and $$$: For MLB it is Yankees Yankees Yankees Boston Boston Boston. For the NFL it is the "all Dallas Cowboys Network". For NCAA basketball it is a season long love affair with the ACC. And of course for NCAA football it is SEC central.

This all wouldn't bother me and for the most part I can laugh it off with the pro sports. I can also turn the channel and quit reading the website. But with college sports the constant barrage it makes me wonder if it factors into polls, seedings, selections, etc. After enough of it, crazy things like two loss teams playing in the NC game, or two teams from the same conference playing in the NC game can happen, I guess.

I'm so f*cking sick of seeing the Cowboys on TV. They haven't been relevant for years and they play an awful brand of football.

WVU just shellacked a team that drubbed Virginia Tech twice. Michigan's win seems less impressive.

WVU just shellacked a team that drubbed Virginia Tech twice. Michigan's win seems less impressive.

Kind of just snowballed out of control. Wish we could have a re-do - I think it'd be more competitive.

Top Bottom