Style of play changes w/ Gray?

mnsports1

Reaction score
If Gray takes over at QB eventually, don't you think we will see more of a spread look with him in the shotgun? I have a hard time seeing him playing the game Weber is playing. Is the team ready for a change-up like that.

Many people don't want to see a spread coach come in here, but if we go to Gray, wouldn't getting the most out of his ability be implementing facets of the spread?

I think if we put Gray back in there, we need to intstantly switch to the spread. This power running game is not working out.

If Gray takes over at QB eventually, don't you think we will see more of a spread look with him in the shotgun? I have a hard time seeing him playing the game Weber is playing. Is the team ready for a change-up like that.

Many people don't want to see a spread coach come in here, but if we go to Gray, wouldn't getting the most out of his ability be implementing facets of the spread?

No, I don't. There would be a lot more play action roll out and sprint out plays in the base formation. We would run the same shotgun package as with Weber, only with more run/pass options.

IMO, yes. Gray's skill set should be running a spread - read option, triple option, passing off the option, etc. A drop-back / pocket / rollout passing game doesn't take sufficient advantage of his legs.

I don't see the Gophers getting to "upper division / capable of contending for Big 10 titles" any time soon if the offensive philosophy is "we're going to out-slug you in the trenches", first, because you have to get a LOT of O-line talent to make that sort of approach work (how likely is it that UM will get more of them than an Ohio State, Michigan, etc.?) and, second, given defense seems to be a recurring problem, the Gophers really need an offense that can win some shoot-outs (which a plodding, grind it out running offense isn't going to do).

with a smart coach i would say yes, but with brew i bet we stick with the power game and we continue to see Bennett run into the back of our linemen. By the way does anyone know if Bennet has had an eye exam recently?

Just think of how tOSU runs it's offense with Pryor. Next year will be similar to that. Not a true spread, but more spread elements than we are seeing now.

People don't understand offenses.

You have an offense. You call plays that are going to work.
Plays that would work with Weber well won't be the same plays that work well with a new QB. So the offense will not change, but the playcalling will. If you don't think that a Weber injury and Gray coming in means they could run read option out of the gun next week if they wanted to you are an idiot.

People don't understand offenses.

You have an offense. You call plays that are going to work.
Plays that would work with Weber well won't be the same plays that work well with a new QB. So the offense will not change, but the playcalling will. If you don't think that a Weber injury and Gray coming in means they could run read option out of the gun next week if they wanted to you are an idiot.

I guess I'm the idiot then-

I would have figured there would need to be some adjustments for our power running team with full back sets and a huge o-line recruited to blow off the line and beat their man etc. ...would be slightly different than some of the zone blocking techniques that are usually done by smaller more athletic lineman that can get out in space as seen in spread/read option offenses.

I'm not at all saying it can't be done, but it seems like there would be a bit more to it than just plugging in the new QB.

I guess I'm the idiot then-

I would have figured there would need to be some adjustments for our power running team with full back sets and a huge o-line recruited to blow off the line and beat their man etc. ...would be slightly different than some of the zone blocking techniques that are usually done by smaller more athletic lineman that can get out in space as seen in spread/read option offenses.

I'm not at all saying it can't be done, but it seems like there would be a bit more to it than just plugging in the new QB.

The linemen can run any scheme you want them to. The reason Mason's linemen were having issues adjusting to a new scheme is because they were no longer cutting everything. They still run zone runs, in fact, a major portion of the current run plays are zone.

Watch the games.

yes, very common to see teams bouncing back and forth between spread and our style of running

watch any game.

Then why are you suggesting the gophers do it?

Im not suggesting we change to it this year, I think things would get even uglier. I also don't think changing to a spread for next year w/ Gray will be very effective either. The O-line would take a major step back again in my opinion.

Top Bottom