Student Section and Other Thoughts

jmag21

Reaction score
A couple bullet point thoughts about the game:

- I got a chance to sit in the indoor club section. That place is unbelievable. So posh.

- The most exciting part of the second half was betting on which section of the student section would be completely empty first. From the third quarter on, there were about three sections that had less than five people in them, and one section got down to one, but none emptied completely out. So, kudos. I can't say I blame the students, it was cold, we weren't competitive, it wasn't exciting, and there were Halloween parties filled with underdressed trollops to go to. Still, wasn't the stadium supposed to revitalize the students? I'd be totally on board with totally getting rid of the top student section, and keeping all the students downstairs, in essence, cutting the section in half. It's evident that most of the students don't care, much of which is due to the fact that tickets are so cheap that they don't have an investment in the team.

- Why was Weber still in there? He looked bad for most of the game, missing open receivers, etc, and he was getting lit up. Why not put Alipate in there? It would have provided a little excitement to what was otherwise sheer drudgery.

- Why is Eskridge getting so many carries? Duane has disappointed me a bit, but I just don't understand this staff's love for Eskridge. He's surprised with a few carries in recent weeks, but for the most part, he just looks like his old self, without much burst, or ability to shake or break tackles.

- I love Gray and McKnight as a receiving tandem. It's a shame that their talents are being wasted this year.

- Our D was pathetic. OSU was always probably going to win, but we looked three steps behind all game. Terrible.

- I'm still loyal to Hammock. I liked most of the gameplanning, until the second half, when we appeared to go in a Brad Childress-esque shell to try to keep the score down. I almost wonder if Horton retrieved the playcalling responsibility, because it looked like our playcalling from earlier in the year. Run, no gain, run, no gain, pass in triple coverage.

I think the current amount of student seats is just right. There are just so many things that students would rather be doing that watching this depressing, pathetic excuse of a football season.

If the team was halfway decent, you would see many, many more students. And they would stay longer. I'm not worried about the students.

Why do some people feel that the students must stay for the entire game compared with the non-student fan who are well within their rights to leave early?

Why do some people feel that the students must stay for the entire game compared with the non-student fan who are well within their rights to leave early?

I'm with Silvio on this point. Watching your team get slaughtered sucks for students and non-students alike.

And those students are the ones most likely to have commitments to attend after the game. Where as the non-student is most likely on their way home.

I don't feel that way. And sure, people have the right to leave early if they want to. All I'm saying is that the administration should take it into account when allocating tickets. Sure, students had other places to be. Sure, nobody's excited about watching this team right now. However, again, the U needs to take it into account. I was there, and the emptiest sections by far were the student sections, and that was from the beginning of the game until the end. That doesn't make the students bad people. It just means that they care less about Gopher football than the non-student fans. Therefore, allocate more tickets to the non-student fans in future. I don't think it should be that controversial.

Can we please get off the back of the damn students...look around the stadium, there were a lot of people leaving early and it's not just our fault. Maybe if we didn't have such hard restrictions on who they let into the game...we showed up about 5 minutes into the game and i had 3 friends who bought student tickets and i supplied IDs (i know this isn't legal in terms of the U), but for some reason the security was checking IDs insanely saturday night and wouldn't let 2 of my friends in after staring at the pictures for a while...lets just say it's easier for a non student to allow someone to attend the game in their place than it is for a student to let someone attend the game in there place...

lets just say it's easier for a non student to allow someone to attend the game in their place than it is for a student to let someone attend the game in there place...

As it should be. The regular tickets are full price and transferable. The student tickets are steeply discounted and are non-transferable: they are just for students.

Thank God for the 2009 Air Force and California game. We saw, for a very brief moment, what real college football could become in Minnesota.

I'd be totally on board with totally getting rid of the top student section, and keeping all the students downstairs, in essence, cutting the section in half.

There are plenty of seats available, public and student, for those looking. No need to repurpose student tickets when there's no demand from anyone else to use them.

There are plenty of seats available, public and student, for those looking. No need to repurpose student tickets when there's no demand from anyone else to use them.

This. Personally, I'd rather the upper deck be empty then full of Iowa fans but that's just me.

And those students are the ones most likely to have commitments to attend after the game. Where as the non-student is most likely on their way home.

I commented to my buddies in the 4th quarter that you could tell who the 500 students were who didn't get invited to a Halloween party. They were probably all electrical eng'g majors.

What would students rather do? Watch a 1-8 teams lose by 42 or go enjoy the Halloween festivities? Cmon now.

Top Bottom