Striggow 4th best returning Big Ten defensive lineman

swingman

Reaction score

Danny Striggow-Minnesota

Fourth on our list is Minnesota’s Danny Striggow. Striggow finished his 2023 season with 51 total tackles, six sacks, seven tackles for loss, and a forced fumble. His six sacks put him in the top 10 sack leaders in the Big Ten conference last season. Striggow also finished first on the Golden Gophers’ defense in sacks and tackles for loss. This gave Striggow an All-Big Ten honorable mention nod. This season Striggow will have to play a huge role in the Gophers’ defense improving from last season. The Big Ten is growing and getting more competitive. Striggow anchoring the Gopher defense is what they need.

Danny Striggow-Minnesota

Fourth on our list is Minnesota’s Danny Striggow. Striggow finished his 2023 season with 51 total tackles, six sacks, seven tackles for loss, and a forced fumble. His six sacks put him in the top 10 sack leaders in the Big Ten conference last season. Striggow also finished first on the Golden Gophers’ defense in sacks and tackles for loss. This gave Striggow an All-Big Ten honorable mention nod. This season Striggow will have to play a huge role in the Gophers’ defense improving from last season. The Big Ten is growing and getting more competitive. Striggow anchoring the Gopher defense is what they need.

I hope that he has a great year. Would be nice if a couple of others would emerge as consistent pass rushers.

I thought Joyner had the most sacks last year.
Doesn't really matter who gets the most sacks. I know what you're thinking though. Clearly about putting pressure and creatin havoc with the offensive line and someone slipping through to get the sack. If we get hung up on numbers, then you don't have a team working with the ultimate goal of someone reaching the QB or the RB in the backfield.

Doesn't really matter who gets the most sacks. I know what you're thinking though. Clearly about putting pressure and creatin havoc with the offensive line and someone slipping through to get the sack. If we get hung up on numbers, then you don't have a team working with the ultimate goal of someone reaching the QB or the RB in the backfield.
Agree with above. I don't think that anyone is hung up on numbers, but if Striggow or Joyner, or anyone is getting significant sacks, we are putting heat on opposing QB's.

I agree it doesn’t matter who has the most sacks but someone has to get the most. Let’s be accurate and not create a controversy when none should exist.

in a podcast (can't remember which one) they were throwing out stats about pressures, etc - and if I recall accurately, Joyner led all MN D-linemen in QB pressures. the question is whether he can refine his technique and turn more of those pressures into sacks.

certainly, a D-line is more effective when it has multiple pass-rush options. so the Gophers need Joyner, Striggow, Smith, Logan-Redding and potentially Howard to be part of the pass-rush picture.

My original purpose was to put into context how "substantial" six sacks are in a season. I have started to think that six is pretty impressive. It would obviously be necessary to get one about every other game. In a game there might be about 30 chances to get one, but some of those chances will be quick passes, some the QB will roll away from the defensive player and it is not easy to get past a fairly athletic 280 lb OL and then tackle a likely athletic and elusive QB. It also got me thinking about how stats are kept, etc. Things that I learned: In college, post regular season game stats count for teams/individuals season totals. I think I knew this, but defensive players are given credit for a sack if they are the principal person chasing a passing player out of bounds for a loss. Also, on one play a defensive player can be credited with a solo tackle, a sack and a tackle for loss. I found the below attachment interesting and will be perusing it (it's a couple of years old) before this season starts. http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Football/2020.pdf

I’d imagine this year it’s Joyner and Striggow pushing the QB into each other. Whoever is faster gets the sack. Either way our D succeeds.

stats are only as good as the people keeping them. certainly, for a lot of areas, it's cut-and-dried - a 5-yard run is a 5-yard run, etc. but with defensive stats, you get into questions about whether it was a solo tackle or two guys get half a tackle. same thing with sacks - solo or halves.

(one year at my local HS, the football coach got some new "stat girls" and after the first game, it become clear that they had no idea what they were doing. I was doing the games on radio and keeping my own stats, so the head coach just took copies of my stats while he tried to explain football to these girls.)

Joyner had 7.5 sacks and Striggow had 6. Of course it doesn’t matter to some of you.

Top Bottom