STrib: Will P.J. Fleck really turn loose a Gophers passing attack this year?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Chip Scoggins joins Rand for a wide-ranging look at multiple topics, including whether this is finally the year that P.J. Fleck's Gophers throw the ball more.

Go Gophers!!

I don’t think that PJ even knows the answer to this question yet. He reacts to turnovers. If Athan doesn’t throw interceptions then PJ might want to throw 70% of the time. If he throws two bad passes out of the gate then they might go right back to running in every possible circumstance.

^Yes, depends on whether they feel he is careful with the ball and how fast he develops in that skill.

Burns, who is pretty plugged in, was circumspect on expectations during his pod which indicates some level of management of expectations by the staff. The receivers and blockers have to help him out more than say, last year.

We’ll find out real soon.

Fleck will do whatever he feels is best to win games. This isn't a video game.

The ball-control, TressellBall offense has been pretty successful to date. But with Morgan and Ibrahim gone, and with the addition of Kaliakmanis' skillset, there may be a shift away from run-first, to some degree.

I believe that one of the reasons Fleck went ball-control (a reason that is often overlooked by fans) is the fact that it helps the Gopher defense, giving them more time to rest and adjust between series.

Kaliakmanis is a young gun, and our receiver corps is the best we've had since Johnson, Bateman and Co. We have some promising runners, but none that resemble Ibrahim.

I think the offense will change, but not drastically. We won't be running basketball-on-grass. We won't be getting into any shootouts with the pass-first teams like North Carolina.

Could see some longer plays and quicker scores. But then run to control clock.

The ball-control, TressellBall offense has been pretty successful to date. But with Morgan and Ibrahim gone, and with the addition of Kaliakmanis' skillset, there may be a shift away from run-first, to some degree.

I believe that one of the reasons Fleck went ball-control (a reason that is often overlooked by fans) is the fact that it helps the Gopher defense, giving them more time to rest and adjust between series.

Kaliakmanis is a young gun, and our receiver corps is the best we've had since Johnson, Bateman and Co. We have some promising runners, but none that resemble Ibrahim.

I think the offense will change, but not drastically. We won't be running basketball-on-grass. We won't be getting into any shootouts with the pass-first teams like North Carolina.
My prediction is that after the 5th game, Gopher fans will be asking if all this passing is a mirage. This is because the first 5 opponents all have below-average-to-terrible rushing defense, based on 2022 numbers. It's very likely that the strategy in the first 5 games will be run, run, and more run. Especially against UNC.

That will likely change in the last 7 games where there are a bunch of strong run defenses and the Gophers will have to open it up to win.

The Gophers are a team that doesn't have a clear offensive philosophy and will try to do whatever it takes to win, based on their own strengths or the opponent's weaknesses.

Just look at the scoreboard. If we get an early two-score lead, TOP takes over. If we are trailing second half we have options.

Best hope is that we stay balanced and make them cover the whole field. That helps the run game most.

Just look at the scoreboard. If we get an early two-score lead, TOP takes over. If we are trailing second half we have options.

Best hope is that we stay balanced and make them cover the whole field. That helps the run game most.
If trailing into the second half, Fleck rarely wins...let's hope that changes with AK's ability to make plays.

Fleck will do what works best.

He did it last year rushing like crazy vs Iowa cause Mo could and then switching to pass vs Whisky.

Personnel upgrades and downgrades probably point to more passing.

My prediction is that after the 5th game, Gopher fans will be asking if all this passing is a mirage. This is because the first 5 opponents all have below-average-to-terrible rushing defense, based on 2022 numbers. It's very likely that the strategy in the first 5 games will be run, run, and more run. Especially against UNC.

That will likely change in the last 7 games where there are a bunch of strong run defenses and the Gophers will have to open it up to win.

The Gophers are a team that doesn't have a clear offensive philosophy and will try to do whatever it takes to win, based on their own strengths or the opponent's weaknesses.
The Gophers don’t have a clear offensive philosophy?

They run the ball more than anyone except the service academies.

The Gophers don’t have a clear offensive philosophy?

They run the ball more than anyone except the service academies.
I think they became run-dominant over the past 2 years because that’s what the personnel was suited for.

I don’t think Fleck is committed to being that way all the time if he has more playmakers in the passing game.

People act like the program just needs to pass more and suddenly we’ll break through to elite status. They don’t need to pass more they need to complete more. AK will need to raise his completion percentage.

People act like the program just needs to pass more and suddenly we’ll break through to elite status. They don’t need to pass more they need to complete more. AK will need to raise his completion percentage.
I think folks are thinking 2019 as a measure for the passing game when seeing the potential of AK. He began to show what he can do in the Wisconsin and bowl games.

Morgan probably has the highest completion percentage of any QB in gopher history. If AK can beat it we will be in really good shape.

AK can complete enough passes to hurt a defense [he has shown me that....not really sure where the apprehension is coming from]......if his receivers are indeed better [I hope so]. Historically, we always seem to run the ball......so we will have that.

The defense has to be athletic enough [and deep enough] to stay with Michigan and Ohio State and North Carolina.

But to beat top college teams....you have to throw the ball, be fast on defense, and powerful on the OL. That's all.......you know like Georgia. ;-)

AK can complete enough passes to hurt a defense [he has shown me that....not really sure where the apprehension is coming from]......if his receivers are indeed better [I hope so]. Historically, we always seem to run the ball......so we will have that.

The defense has to be athletic enough [and deep enough] to stay with Michigan and Ohio State and North Carolina.

But to beat top college teams....you have to throw the ball, be fast on defense, and powerful on the OL. That's all.......you know like Georgia. ;-)
For UNC, I think Gophs will be pressuring through the line all game. Tar Heels oline was close to awful last year.

Morgan had about 18 pass attempts per game last year. It's hard to have your QB elevate the completion percentage when you only have him throw when you are playing from behind.

Is this about Leidner?

I think folks are thinking 2019 as a measure for the passing game when seeing the potential of AK. He began to show what he can do in the Wisconsin and bowl games.
I mean he didn’t play very much in the bowl game and frankly Tanner looked like a hero against that pass defense so there really isn’t that much tape out there saying that Athan is going to be a huge step forward, but a lot of people think he will be so who knows.

If trailing into the second half, Fleck rarely wins...let's hope that changes with AK's ability to make plays.
He rarely won when trailing and sticking with running game. That changes now.

I think they became run-dominant over the past 2 years because that’s what the personnel was suited for.

I don’t think Fleck is committed to being that way all the time if he has more playmakers in the passing game.
I’m his heart he would like to run. In his head he wants to win.

You pass more to spread the defense and make running the ball more efficient.

We’ve never ranked in the top 100 in passing attempts.

I’d call that an identity.

Top Bottom