STrib: Vereen and Wells probable for Michigan game, but Henry's questionable

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Some quick items from Tuesday's media availability with the Gophers:

* Coach Jerry Kill said safety Brock Vereen (knee injury) and cornerback Derrick Wells (shoulder injury) should both be able to play Saturday at Michigan.

* Kill sounded less optimistic about fullback Mike Henry (rib injury). He said Henry will be riding a bike today, a sign he could be a ways from returning.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/226023921.html

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

Some quick items from Tuesday's media availability with the Gophers:

* Coach Jerry Kill said safety Brock Vereen (knee injury) and cornerback Derrick Wells (shoulder injury) should both be able to play Saturday at Michigan.

* Kill sounded less optimistic about fullback Mike Henry (rib injury). He said Henry will be riding a bike today, a sign he could be a ways from returning.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/226023921.html

Go Gophers!!

thanks bleed. we definitely will need both of these guys this weekend to have a shot

He got cheap shoted by SJSU in the fourth quarter I believe, they went High low where the tackle rolled up on him from behind, dived at him low from the side, it almost looked intentional, and the backer that hit him high speared him in the chest. The sucky part of this, is these guy's trailed the field of play so the block was long over.
Not surprised he got a rib injury from that, it was a bit of a dirty unsportsmanlike play by SJSU tackle in my opinion, as it looked like the lineman cut him low from the side on purpose when he was already getting hit high. Seemed targeted on the play.
It is too bad, Henry was having an impact on a lot of plays.

Yes, let's hope that Wells and Vereen can stay relatively healthy the rest of the way. Best safety and best corner on the team would you guys say?

It sounds like Henry has also been a big reason for the running success earlier as well. Team needs these guys.

Yes, let's hope that Wells and Vereen can stay relatively healthy the rest of the way. Best safety and best corner on the team would you guys say?

It sounds like Henry has also been a big reason for the running success earlier as well. Team needs these guys.

I actually think Murray is a better CB (or will be if he turns his head every once in awhile). Wells makes some big plays but also plays out of position at times

I actually think Murray is a better CB (or will be if he turns his head every once in awhile). Wells makes some big plays but also plays out of position at times

Murray NEEDS to turn his head around a vast majority of the time. There is something to be said for at least turning around and recognizing where the ball is, it is his job. Iowa went at Murray quite often and he hardly turned around to look for the ball when it was thrown his way. If teams keep going at him and he doesn't begin to turn or realize his position, we are going to get a lot of P.I. penalties. He has gotten away with a one or two already, IMO.

The coaches have to be teaching the DBs to not turn their head. I don't know why exactly, but every DB does it consistently. The best theory I can come up with is that they are being overly conservative and afraid of the natural tendency to slow down when turning to look for the ball, so by coaching them to face guard they are attempting to limit potential separation and thus preventing the big play downfield.

Murray NEEDS to turn his head around a vast majority of the time. There is something to be said for at least turning around and recognizing where the ball is, it is his job. Iowa went at Murray quite often and he hardly turned around to look for the ball when it was thrown his way. If teams keep going at him and he doesn't begin to turn or realize his position, we are going to get a lot of P.I. penalties. He has gotten away with a one or two already, IMO.

We keep seeing that from our seats as well. They're getting away with one or two a week! It's surreal.

"TURN AROUND!" has become an almost comical cry but except for, on occasion, Wells they all focus on the receiver, not the ball. It's got to be coaching. Strip it away or tackle and limit the yardage. The problem is they are missing a chance at some Interceptions too. There's been more than one occasion where the DB was nearly hit by a throw because he wasn't looking for it.

That damn play last week, where NO one was looking for the ball as the carrier run down the field with it? Keeping focused "on your man" had something to do with that too.

Remember David Gibbs? He was a Defensive Coach under Mason. Asked him about the same thing and he said "That's because we're coaching them to do it!" They were more worried about stopping a long gain than getting the ball back through an interception. Pure "bend not breaK" football.

Bet it's the same thing again now, but as you've seen too Mr.Bigelow, they've given up a few long gains now haven't they?

The coaches have to be teaching the DBs to not turn their head. I don't know why exactly, but every DB does it consistently. The best theory I can come up with is that they are being overly conservative and afraid of the natural tendency to slow down when turning to look for the ball, so by coaching them to face guard they are attempting to limit potential separation and thus preventing the big play downfield.

That means that Hill is very coachable.

We keep seeing that from our seats as well. They're getting away with one or two a week! It's surreal.

I know! Completely agree!! It is almost as if he is running at a WR, screaming, flailing his arms in the air! Hoping all the while that it may distract the WR enough that he trips over himself. But, seriously, so aggrevating to watch. And to think, Coach says he WILL play at the next level. I get that they are most likely 'coaching' them that way, but it is getting a little worrisome.

"TURN AROUND!" has become an almost comical cry but except for, on occasion, Wells they all focus on the receiver, not the ball. It's got to be coaching. Strip it away or tackle and limit the yardage. The problem is they are missing a chance at some Interceptions too. There's been more than one occasion where the DB was nearly hit by a throw because he wasn't looking for it.

We have been doing the same thing in our section with people I sit near. Yelling, "TURN AROUND!!". It has been really frustrating. It seems they play moreso for the 'pass break-up' than playing the football. What I mean is, breaking up the pass through contact with a WR.

That damn play last week, where NO one was looking for the ball as the carrier run down the field with it? Keeping focused "on your man" had something to do with that too.

I know, man. I know.

Remember David Gibbs? He was a Defensive Coach under Mason. Asked him about the same thing and he said "That's because we're coaching them to do it!" They were more worried about stopping a long gain than getting the ball back through an interception. Pure "bend not breaK" football.

Bet it's the same thing again now, but as you've seen too Mr.Bigelow, they've given up a few long gains now haven't they?

I agree, it is definitely being 'coached' to the DB's that way. But, I really wish they would gamble once in a while and let a DB make a play on the ball. A few times, they have been in prime position. I'm pretty sure that last weekend v. Iowa, one bounced right off of Murray's shoulder pad with his back turned while he was in coverage.

We have been doing the same thing in our section with people I sit near. Yelling, "TURN AROUND!!". It has been really frustrating. It seems they play moreso for the 'pass break-up' than playing the football. What I mean is, breaking up the pass through contact with a WR.

I actually had a conversation earlier this year with a friend I go to the games with about why it's not more common for fans in the stands to yell "BALL!" when the ball is in the air. I know teammates are generally taught to do it, but it seems like there could be some added benefit to the entire stadium reacting. I can't think of a single instance of a fan base actually adopting that tactic, though...anyone else? Is it just too short of a time frame (when the ball is in the air) for it to actually be beneficial?

Of course, now I've started to yell "ball" by myself, from my seat in the middle rows of the upper deck. It doesn't appear to be helping.
(But maybe if a few thousand more of us join in...???)

Agree. You're generally taught to not turn your head if you're beat (since it slows you down), but our CBs don't turn their head even if they're running right with the guy. It is confusing, and I feel we could increase PBUs / INTs while decreasing PI penalties if we tweaked this philosophy

Top Bottom