STrib: Tracy Claeys uses blooper reel as a teaching tool

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

What were those players thinking? Clemson’s Ray-Ray McCloud could have had a punt return touchdown. California’s Vic Enwere could have had a clinching TD run. And Oklahoma’s Joe Mixon very nearly cost himself an electrifying kickoff return TD against Ohio State.

Each player inexplicably dropped the ball before crossing the goal line. Guys – crossing the goal line with the ball – that’s the whole point.

Gophers coach Tracy Claeys made sure his players learned from those mistakes. In a meeting this week, he showed replays of the Oklahoma and California miscues, and talked it over with the players.

“He just said, ‘Make sure you score first,’” running back Rodney Smith said. “And he prefers us to hand the ball to the referee, too, and celebrate with your teammates.”

http://www.startribune.com/tracy-claeys-uses-blooper-reel-as-a-teaching-tool/394363171/

Go Gophers!!

I always told my players. Hand the ball to the official- act like you've been there before.

This whole dropping the football before the goal line thing is just stupid. Some of these guys are so self absorbed and ready for their "look at me" moment that they can't be bothered to take 2 more steps to make 1000% sure you are actually in the endzone before starting your celebration.

Even if you can't be troubled to hand the ball to the ref before pointing at the name on the back of your jersey or doing whatever other stupid pose you think makes you look tough at least make sure you really scored. The fact that there are as many examples as there are right now of guys doing this is just sad.

This whole dropping the football before the goal line thing is just stupid. Some of these guys are so self absorbed and ready for their "look at me" moment that they can't be bothered to take 2 more steps to make 1000% sure you are actually in the endzone before starting your celebration.

Even if you can't be troubled to hand the ball to the ref before pointing at the name on the back of your jersey or doing whatever other stupid pose you think makes you look tough at least make sure you really scored. The fact that there are as many examples as there are right now of guys doing this is just sad.

lol. Its a game. Calm down. Kids spend hours training and play in front of thousands who are actually there to look at them. Yea dropping the ball is dumb but take it easy.

lol. Its a game. Calm down. Kids spend hours training and play in front of thousands who are actually there to look at them. Yea dropping the ball is dumb but take it easy.
Kids spent hours training 3 decades ago without the self-absorbed fanfare. Hand the ball to the official and go meet your teammates.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Not losing any sleep over it but it really is not unreasonable to expect a player to have the presence of mind to make sure they cross goal line before dropping the ball. Difference of less than a second of celebration time to just make sure you cross the line.

Not losing any sleep over it but it really is not unreasonable to expect a player to have the presence of mind to make sure they cross goal line before dropping the ball. Difference of less than a second of celebration time to just make sure you cross the line.

Wait till they start taking selfies running down the field.

Change the rule to penalize the offense when it happens. Most times it doesn't. In the case of California, they just got the ball at the 1 yard line. And that actually helped them because they could run out the clock instead by taking a few knees.

Change the rule to penalize the offense when it happens. Most times it doesn't. In the case of California, they just got the ball at the 1 yard line. And that actually helped them because they could run out the clock instead by taking a few knees.

Do they still have the showboating rule where if you start to celebrate before you cross the goal line the officials can throw a flag and the score won't count plus you get penalized? I know they put that rule in a few years ago but you never really see it called so not sure if it is even still in effect.

Do they still have the showboating rule where if you start to celebrate before you cross the goal line the officials can throw a flag and the score won't count plus you get penalized? I know they put that rule in a few years ago but you never really see it called so not sure if it is even still in effect.

This happened to the LSU punter five years ago. The only instance I can remember.

I like the fact that this coaching staff emphasizes the basics. Coach is showing a video to reinforce to the team that the time to celebrate or stop worrying about ball security is when your in the end zone. I read another article where they say Gophers dropped passes have gone way down this year and Coach said our offensive coordinator spends a lot of time on ball catching drills for the receivers. He spends more time on those drills than Limegrover did. Dungy said the one reason why Chuck Noll was so successful is that he placed emphasis on doing the little things better than anyone else.

Claeys should show a blooper reel of all the penalties his own Gophers make.

He should show a blooper reel of how the Gophers defense is aligned when the other team is punting - no one within 10 yards of the ball either side. The first time CSU punted I thought why punt, just run up the middle, there is no defender there. They did take advantage of this later in the game - with a pass. I do not understand what the Gophers are thinking.

Top Bottom