STrib: Tracy Claeys on overtime Penn State loss: 'It's one game'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Gophers coach Tracy Claeys on Sunday continued to stress that the third quarter was the team's undoing in the loss at Penn State.

"You can go ahead and take everything out and analyze it all you want," Claeys said one day after a 29-26 overtime loss in Happy Valley. "But we lost the game in the third quarter by getting outscored 17 to nothing."

Every team in the Big Ten West has suffered a conference loss, except Nebraska, but Claeys wasn't ready to talk about the standings.

"It’s one game. That’s all I’m going to say: It’s one game," he said. "We got eight left. We won’t be too bad if we win the last eight. It’s amazing how everybody thinks the first one is a must-win. Wow. We will be judged on more than one day, which I can live with. To judge us on one day -- I don’t understand it. Let’s let it play out before we go and throw everything out."

http://www.startribune.com/tracy-claeys-on-penn-state-loss-it-s-one-game/395568951/

Go Gophers!!

I suggest everyone watch overtime from tonight and read the comments some looney birds write. Where do these people come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not judging him from one game....

...i'm judging him as a defensive minded head coach who has the worst
defense in the entire conference after 4 games against some pretty
crappy teams...

crappy teams...

Agree. 4 weeks in I think it is very fair to say there are some pretty significant problems on defense with this team. Certainly time to right the ship and still have a strong Big Ten season but that was a major missed opportunity in Happy Valley.

crappy teams...
You got it. Plus I want him pissed off they lost, not shrugging it off.

crappy teams...

He needs to work more with the defense. After he took over, one of the things he's said repeatedly is that he was spending more time with the offense to try and get caught up on everything that goes on on that side of the ball. Claeys, O'Brien and Sawvel need to get together and straighten things out, especially on the back end. Hardin was a starter, and I know before the year, they were counting on Buford. If nothing is going to come of that incident, they need those guys back.

He's right, it's one game.

Last time I was this disappointed in a loss (not mad, just disappointed) was at Illinois in 2014.

The Gophers get the same opponent as they did that year the next game.....hopefully the results are the same.

On one hand, it's just one game. Coach is right: we can overcome this.

On the other hand, it's not just one game. It's a clear trend.

PSU was terrible. The other teams on our schedule have been even worse.

crappy teams...

I don't think you need to exaggerate to make your point. Defense hasn't been good but it certainly isn't the worst in the entire conference.

Longtime Gophers and Twins fan here...Tom Kelly used to say "One game at a time," "Not too high, not too low," or constantly reminded his players that they need to forget what happened yesterday or what might happen tomorrow, and concentrate on today.

I know football isn't baseball, but coaching is coaching. I do believe a coach can achieve great things by focusing on his style and excelling at it. Claeys' style is less fiery and more analytical than Jerry Kill's, and I'm okay with that. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt like I would any new coach. He's 3-1 so far in his first full season as head coach, and I'm going to reserve judgement until we've seen how his team performs for a full season.

I don't think you need to exaggerate to make your point. Defense hasn't been good but it certainly isn't the worst in the entire conference.

Agree, while it may feel like we have had a terrible defense, and it certainly has performed under expectations and hopes this season (for a variety of reasons), the Gophers are still in the top half of the country for both scoring and total defense.

Maybe the Gophers miss the sick linebacker coach more than we all thought. I do think this, that the coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball has to include Clare's in any discussion concerning schemes. Personnel decisions are usually left up to position coaches. But overall schemes and adjustments should be a staff decision.

I understand that we gave up big plays, a ten point lead and some momentum in the third quarter, but explain to me how we "lost the game in the third quarter"? Champions finish strong! We have to put teams away when we have the opportunity and we had that opportunity. Don't tell me we lost this game in the third quarter, it's a four quarter plus game. Take care of business!

I understand that we gave up big plays, a ten point lead and some momentum in the third quarter, but explain to me how we "lost the game in the third quarter"? Champions finish strong! We have to put teams away when we have the opportunity and we had that opportunity. Don't tell me we lost this game in the third quarter, it's a four quarter plus game. Take care of business!

Couldn't agree more, lost momentum in the third quarter but still had a lead with under a minute left in regulation. Third quarter sucked but the game was very much still in our grasp right up until letting them score before the end of regulation and then losing it in overtime.

Couldn't agree more, lost momentum in the third quarter but still had a lead with under a minute left in regulation. Third quarter sucked but the game was very much still in our grasp right up until letting them score before the end of regulation and then losing it in overtime.

Tennessee was down with 1:03 left, scored and went up by 4. Georgia somehow scored in 4 plays over 6 seconds. Tennessee won on a Hail Mary. Crazy **** happens in college football.

Top Bottom