STrib: Topsy-turvy Big Ten football season leaves room for Gophers to reverse course

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Only two games into the season, and the Big Ten is already bizarre.

Which is par for the course in 2020, really.

Ohio State has remained solid and reliable, sitting atop the Big Ten East division at 2-0 having comfortably dispatched of Nebraska and Penn State off remarkable play from Heisman-contender quarterback Justin Fields. But everything else is wonky.

Indiana, ranked No. 13 for it highest spot since the 1980s, is 2-0.

Northwestern, last season’s West division bottom-dweller with a shambling offense, is 2-0.

Purdue, another perennially middling team, is 2-0.

Meanwhile, teams that were top contenders last year are winless, including Penn State, Iowa and the Gophers, who were 11-2 last season.

Wisconsin has played only one game because of a COVID-19 outbreak of 28 players and staff. Michigan State beat Michigan. Rutgers actually won a Big Ten game.

Truly a remarkable list of unpredictable outcomes.

“I think it’s something where COVID has exacerbated any problems that you were going to have,” said Sam Renner, a recent Gophers defensive tackle now trying out for various NFL teams. “And I think that you’re seeing it all over the country. … It’s crazy to think that a team that was undefeated nine games in is now 0-2. But that’s where [the Gophers] are. And I think they can totally turn it around.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom