Strib "Top Recruits" article

Freshman of Year in BT and All Big Ten as Sophmore. Yeah, Rickert sucked.

Freshman of Year in BT and All Big Ten as Sophmore. Yeah, Rickert sucked.

Never said he sucked. Was he all B10 1st team? Maybe he was, I do remember his Soph year not being as good as many thought it would be. Didn't he average about 15 and 7? Good numbers, but not outstanding and warranting leaving two years early...

His Sophmore year he was All Big Ten first team by the coaches. Not too shabby. Its a mystery why Rickert is always lumped in with Hump and Joel, etc. Rick was a good teammate by all accounts, even attended gopher games after leaving school. On the court he was everything we hoped.

The Rick

I think part of the problem with Rickert was that, fairly or unfairly, people always saw him as someone who didn't really want to be a Gopher. The commitment to Arizona, wearing the Arizona hat to sign his Gopher letter, his body language on the court, during the Rouser, etc. I remember after one particularly depressing loss the players had boxes of pizza to distribute in the student section and Rickert was the only player who just stood around without engaging with the students at all. Ah, the Monson years...

He was good player, however, and deserves better than the dismissive writeup he received in this article.

I loved watching PRYZZ play, great player, Humphries and Rickert were great as well, maybe in the top 5 - 10 players in gophers history!

Top Bottom