STrib: The U's 'next big thing' at quarterback just wants to fit in

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Sure, the comparisons are flattering, but recruit Chris Streveler is focused on learning his role on his new team.

"I'm not going to put a lot of pressure on myself to compete for the job or be like, 'If I don't start, this is a failure,' " Streveler said. "If it happens, it happens, but ... I hope the quarterbacks there will take me under their wing and kind of help me out."

Josh Helmholdt, a Midwest analyst for Rivals.com, said he doesn't think Streveler is quite the same caliber recruit as Nelson.

"But [Streveler] is definitely a gritty, hard-nosed kid," Helmholdt said. "If he can shore up his throwing motion and develop a little bit more as a passer, he could be a surprise."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/187819501.html

Go Gophers!!

I found the most interesting part is that he only has one other offer and it is from South Dakota State. However, it points out that he cut off his recruiting in June. I assume like Nelson, he would have a much better offer list if he cared to keep Rivals up to date.

I found the most interesting part is that he only has one other offer and it is from South Dakota State. However, it points out that he cut off his recruiting in June. I assume like Nelson, he would have a much better offer list if he cared to keep Rivals up to date.

QB is one position where it is always good to have extra talent. Just hope the hype machine doesn't go nuts with this kid the way it did with Philip Nelson. Let him get to school, adjust to the college game and find out if he really can live up to the hype. The idea of the "next big thing" when the last big thing is only a sophmore is a bit of a stretch until we get a chance to see what the kid can really do.

Top Bottom