STrib: The sports fan experience might never be the same

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chris:

What happens next?

That’s if fans show up at all.

“I think you’re going to see a lot of arenas and stadiums less than half full,” said B.J. Schecter, a professor who teaches sports media at Seton Hall and formerly served as executive editor for Sports Illustrated. “I have two young boys and I’ve been in sports my whole life. I would have a lot of trepidation getting in those types of venues any time soon, even after we think we’re out at the other end of this.”

The only way, Schecter said, that the relationship between fans and sports returns to normal is with a vaccine, but a vaccine could be over a year away if and when it does arrive.

Even then, there promises to be certain psychological shifts in attitudes at sporting events, especially as it relates to interacting with other fans.

“You’re sitting in a packed stadium and somebody three seats down gets into a coughing fit, what are you going to think?” Schecter said. “ ‘Oh my God, I’ve got to get away from this person. This person could be sick and could infect me and everybody around me.’ We never really thought that way before. Yeah it was annoying on public transportation or airplane or a stadium. … Now it’s, ‘Is this person sick?’ Psychologically that’s a whole new thing.”

Some fans, like Cory Engelhardt of West St. Paul, would be hesitant about physical interaction with other fans.

“It’s sad, but the high-five or handshake might be a thing of the past,” Engelhardt said. “At least with strangers. I don’t see that changing in terms of my own family, but I don’t know that I see a lot of people offering up a high-five or a handshake again any time soon.”

Go Gophers!!

I do wonder whether people are going to end up being overly cautious long term as a sort of lingering phobia. That's what would "permanently" change the sports scene. Historians here: what was the public like in the years following the 1918 flu? Was there a prolonged decrease in public activity and interaction?

It's simply going to be a matter of what risk people are willing to accept.

If you go to an indoor place (restaurant, arena, etc.) you're putting yourself at the highest risk for getting infected. So basically the question is: are you willing to risk getting infected in order to enjoy those things?

Personally for me, I would be willing to risk it. Most likely, if I got sick, I would not even need to be hospitalized. But that's not true for everyone.

I do wonder whether people are going to end up being overly cautious long term as a sort of lingering phobia. That's what would "permanently" change the sports scene. Historians here: what was the public like in the years following the 1918 flu? Was there a prolonged decrease in public activity and interaction?
I think the farther you go back in history, the more "commonplace" death was. You had more babies, because some were likely to not make it. Someone dying in their 50's wasn't a crazy tragedy.

Today's culture has shifted to having very short memories. I see no long term threat to American sports

Today's culture has shifted to having very short memories. I see no long term threat to American sports
The permanent trend had already been moving away from lots of spectators in big stadiums because of HDTV and the quality of television coverage. This will reinforce and accelerate that to some extent.

The permanent trend had already been moving away from lots of spectators in big stadiums because of HDTV and the quality of television coverage. This will reinforce and accelerate that to some extent.
good point

I certainly agree with the first part. But getting fans in the stadium was already an issue for many teams. This will push many more folks over the edge to "I'll watch on my 80" big screen. It's cheaper and I won't get sick."

Top Bottom