STrib: Rose Micheaux-She Stayed

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Kent Youngblood:

After practice Monday, sitting on the side of the gym at the team's practice facility, Katie Borowicz and Micheaux were talking about this year's team, about loyalty, about staying.

These two and Maggie Czinano are the Gophers' only returning players from last year. There were a lot of graduations, yes. But there were also a lot of transfers that had the roster dwindle to three before coach Lindsay Whalen and her staff, starting with a highly rated recruiting class, started rebuilding the roster.

For Micheaux, it was simple. "I built a bond with this coaching staff," she said. "This is a two-way street. They believe in me, I believe in them. I'll put in my 50 percent, you put in yours, and together we have 100. I know we can be great."

[..]

"She is going to enjoy it [the offense]," Whalen said. "Because we're going to throw it to her. A lot. I mean, we're playing more motion, more of a four out and one in. And we're trying to feed her inside. If we can establish that inside, play inside-out, we can be successful. We maybe don't have the shooters we had last year. But we have Mara [Braun], who can shoot it. Katie. We have players who can get it off the bounce. But we are going to throw it to Rose. "

Top Bottom