STrib: Richard Pitino done talking about last season's troubles

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

While others excitedly recapped the preceding months, Pitino, heading into his fourth season, made it clear he hoped Wednesday would be the last time he’d have to delve into topics less joyous: an 8-23 campaign that struck several program lows and a rash of off-court troubles.

“I’ll talk a little bit about last season and then I’m never talking about it again,” Pitino, 33, said.

Most of his message, rather, focused on lessons drawn from the past and optimism for the future, his tone shifting from lighthearted self-deprecation and humility to sincerity in retrieving the community’s trust.

He admitted to the media earlier that morning that he thought last year’s team “did not have an identity” and joked with the crowd that he had secretly wished the home game against sixth-ranked Maryland — ultimately a win, and one of the winter’s few highlights — would get snowed out.

But then Pitino gushed about the local freshmen who join the fold this summer, a hefty upcoming schedule, and the experience, size, depth and talent of next season’s bunch.

Change is coming, he believes, but it requires more waiting.

“The toughest thing is sitting and waiting,” Pitino said before taking the podium.

“We want to get back on the court. … Because we understand the perception right now, and that perception needs to change. We constantly are preaching about culture and about respect. And we’re going to get back to showing people that’s what we’re all about.”

http://www.startribune.com/richard-pitino-done-talking-about-last-season-s-troubles/382308561/

Go Gophers!!

i like this

He is kicking off the summer workouts with a barbecue at his house on Sunday, once all the new players are in town, to talk about expectations.

He talked, sentimentally, about watching Gophers fans remain in their seats throughout last year’s struggles.

He hoped, he said, improvement on the court and off will make them proud again.

And of course, he hopes next year he’ll spring to the podium, rather than eyeing the exits.

“I truly believe it was a great learning experience for everybody in the program, including myself,” he said.

Good luck with all that, then.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

i like this

He is kicking off the summer workouts with a barbecue at his house on Sunday, once all the new players are in town, to talk about expectations.

He talked, sentimentally, about watching Gophers fans remain in their seats throughout last year’s struggles.

He hoped, he said, improvement on the court and off will make them proud again.

And of course, he hopes next year he’ll spring to the podium, rather than eyeing the exits.

“I truly believe it was a great learning experience for everybody in the program, including myself,” he said.

Me too. If his on court performance ever catches up with his ability to communicate- we have a winner. I think it will if we are patient.

Hmmm- seems less than sincere ^^
Just realistic. Last season will be a spectre that he cannot shake. No amount of planted "Fresh Start" stories changes that.

Once he has a winning B1G season, or two, then people might forget.

Improvement is measured off of a baseline and the 2015-2016 MBB season is about as low a baseline as can be set.

Just realistic. Last season will be a spectre that he cannot shake. No amount of planted "Fresh Start" stories changes that.

Improvement is measured off of a baseline and the 2015-2016 MBB season is about as low a baseline as can be set.

Funny I don't seem to recall people being upset about Clem's 87 and 88 campaigns in 1989

What would a winning season be to you? Minimum Record_____ NCAA wins_____

He better go at least 7-11 in the Big Ten or he's not going to get his wish

He better go at least 7-11 in the Big Ten or he's not going to get his wish

I think that's fair. If I was the AD - the decision would be a little more qualitative than that though. Five wins or less - toast- no questions asked. 6-7 wins is in the iffy range where other intangibles have to come into play. Another good Fall class would be one. An incident free year would be another. A team that was competitive and improving in even the games they lost. It has to be a directional decision- is the program heading in the right direction and what is the potential of Pitino's recruited group of players?

I think that's fair. If I was the AD - the decision would be a little more qualitative than that though. Five wins or less - toast- no questions asked. 6-7 wins is in the iffy range where other intangibles have to come into play. Another good Fall class would be one. An incident free year would be another. A team that was competitive and improving in even the games they lost. It has to be a directional decision- is the program heading in the right direction and what is the potential of Pitino's recruited group of players?
I don't know if I'd feel good about six. I think he's safe at 8+ Seven is that range where you have to go with what your gut is telling you. Nice thing is in the non con season Arkansas, St. Johns and Florida State and hopfully a couple other teams will provide a good indicator about what kind of team we are going to have

Funny I don't seem to recall people being upset about Clem's 87 and 88 campaigns in 1989
I do. I just finished at the U and the only thing that kept it from being more memorable was the Twins winning a World Series.

I do. I just finished at the U and the only thing that kept it from being more memorable was the Twins winning a World Series.

You just proved my point winning cures all

It took you 30 years to get a degree????!!! Belushi was near completion in 11 years....

Who? RP?

If Pitino doesn't want to talk about the abortion that was last year, he better have at least a 7 B1G win caliber team this year or people will continue to pile on. If the team is better and at least competent, we'll talk about that

It took you 30 years to get a degree????!!! Belushi was near completion in 11 years....
30 years since the degree and I'm still not over them taking the whole (bleep)ing bar!!

Were gonna play more than eight non con games, probably 13 and then the BTT and in your 10-8 scenario the NCAA
Since when did all the benchmark numbers have to add up to games played? Sixteen to eighteen overall wins would be good, as would ten to twelve overall losses.

Since when did all the benchmark numbers have to add up to games played? Sixteen to eighteen overall wins would be good, as would ten to twelve overall losses.

Your benchmarks don't make any sense if you say 16-10 and there's still games on the table. But hey it did take you 30 years to complete college so I guess a lot of things you say don't make sense

The goal of a having a winning B1G season or two is actually fairly lofty, given Minnesota's recent history. The program hasn't had a winning B1G season in 11 years, and has only two winning B1G seasons in the past 15 years. In fact, we have had a TOTAL of SEVEN (7) winning B1G seasons in the past 33 years, and only THREE (3) winning B1G seasons in that 33 year period if you remove the vacated years. I'm not talking B1G titles, I'm talking seasons with a record above .500. As a way of comparison, Michigan State has won the B1G regular season title seven times in the past 19 years and Minnesota has had seven seasons in the past 33 years with simply a B1G winning record (4 of which don't count).

The goal of a having a winning B1G season or two is actually fairly lofty, given Minnesota's recent history. The program hasn't had a winning B1G season in 11 years, and has only two winning B1G seasons in the past 15 years. In fact, we have had a TOTAL of SEVEN (7) winning B1G seasons in the past 33 years, and only THREE (3) winning B1G seasons in that 33 year period if you remove the vacated years. I'm not talking B1G titles, I'm talking seasons with a record above .500. As a way of comparison, Michigan State has won the B1G regular season title seven times in the past 19 years and Minnesota has had seven seasons in the past 33 years with simply a B1G winning record (4 of which don't count).

So we don't want to pursue excellence?

Top Bottom