STrib: Regents chair Dean Johnson says U can learn from football boycott

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

I caught up with University Regents chair Dean Johnson this weekend, getting his thoughts on the Gophers football program after players ended their recent boycott.

“I have an old saying: ‘Let your detractors be your teachers,’” Johnson said. “When someone demonstrates, when someone boycotts, when someone raises their hand, there’s something wrong."

“I don’t 100 percent agree with what [the players] did, but I commend them for their courage, and hopefully some better processes, and better understanding and communication will come forward, on behalf of all the student athletes.”

http://www.startribune.com/regents-...-u-can-learn-from-football-boycott/407354266/

Go Gophers!!

Another important excerpt:

On Gophers players facing penalties without first having a hearing:

"When someone is suspended without hearing – and I think that’s the gist of why the football team decided to boycott; they felt there had been allegations without hearing. I’ve talked to [university President Eric Kaler] about this many times, that somehow we need to take a look at that notification hearing process. You know the old adage, ‘You’re innocent until proven guilty?’ I’m not sure that was true in this case. Their pictures are across the wide spectrum and people just assume they were guilty.”

There are a bunch of ****ty folks on this site who assume guilt. Disgusting stuff.

People just assumed a bunch of black guys were guilty because a white girl said they were? No way.

I didn't read any posts in the "Comments" section of the story. However, I'm sure they were well reasoned and balanced......:rolleyes:

Well stated response from our chair. Very thoughtful, overarching view. Will be interesting to see how our regents respond as they learn more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean Johnson gets it.

“I would suggest to Mr. (Richard) Pitino that he right the ship and perhaps get a different kind of a player that has a higher standard,” Johnson added. “What has happened in the past is not working, and that’s not acceptable at the University of Minnesota.”

This was Dean's statement a day after the Reggie Lynch arrest. Where was his "innocent until proven guilty" speech in May?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another important excerpt:

There are a bunch of ****ty folks on this site who assume guilt. Disgusting stuff.

You just did exactly what you accuse other posters of. Your wrapped everyone you disagreed with into one big bundle. There are layers of guilt to be found here stocker and varying levels upon which posters are responding to.

As to the activities of that night- I don't think any player among the core who were involved (not those who were just in the building) are arguing that they didn't participate. To be part of or allow something like that to continue on- now that's disgusting. Rape or no rape this is just disgusting behavior. Many posters here have responded to that level of this situation.

As to the response by the University- please realize that the EOAA is the type of knee jerk progressive authority that you generally support. Proclaiming guilt without due process is a way of life for these people- well intended as they may be. There are a lot of posters who see the disgrace of the actions taken by the players but have responded in their defense because of the actions of the University and the EOAA.
As a result of their response guys who were not participants will forever lose their reputation. That's disgusting.

So spare us all your disgust for other posters when it is fairly obvious you don't understand their point of view and don't care to.

Top Bottom