STrib: Playing QB in NFL is goal for Gophers' Gray

I was a HUGE fan of Daunte and was awfully glad he was wearing the purple for a few years there, but it's hard to ignore the fact that he was tossing the ball to two of the most elite pass catchers in the history of the NFL, the same two WR's that made Randall Cunningham AND Jeff George look like NFL HOF'ers in 1998.

People tend to forget that when Culpepper had his monster year in 2004, Moss was hurt a good amount of the year and Carter wasn't on the team anymore. The guy with the most receptions that year was Jermaine Wiggins. Nate Burleson led the team in receiving yards. Heck, Marcus Robinson almost had as many receptions that year as Moss. Moss played 13 games but wasn't a 100% most of the year.

People tend to forget that when Culpepper had his monster year in 2004, Moss was hurt a good amount of the year and Carter wasn't on the team anymore. The guy with the most receptions that year was Jermaine Wiggins. Nate Burleson led the team in receiving yards. Heck, Marcus Robinson almost had as many receptions that year as Moss. Moss played 13 games but wasn't a 100% most of the year.

HOW DARE YOU BRING FACTS INTO THIS CONVERSATION SIR!

In alll seriousness; aside from John Elway, Tom Brady, Joe Montanta in the early years and possbile Drew Brees. What QB hasn't had at least one HOF receiver? Notice I left out the best QB of all-time IMO (I'll mention him later).

Steve Young was garbage (Tampa Bay) until he had Jerry Rice and TO.

Payton Manning had 2 future HOF wr and 1 possible TE at Indy.

Troy Aikman had Mike Irvin and 5 other HOF on offense.

My point? Show me a great QB and I will show you a all pro WR.....they go hand in hand. Why do you think Percy Harvin is saying "yall better give me my damn money if you expect me to carry that buster QB of yours!

The best QB of all time? Dan Marino. In 17 years he only had ONE RB rush for barely a 1000 yds and the closest thing to a wr were 2 flash in the pan midgets named Mark.

I stand corrected!! Had to go back and look at some stats to refresh. Yikes. 62 career fumbles. He was a beast though, no doubt about it. Other than his time with the Vikings, far and away my favorite moment/game for DC was when he took UCF into Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska and single-handedly gave the Cornhuskers a scare. No small feat.

On Daunte Culpepper

Put the crack pipe down; Daunte was one of the top 5 QB's in the NFL prior to suffering a career ending injury, not to mention the NCAA's most accurate QB of all time. Brain dead? Nope.

He was brain dead because of the stuff he did off the field as much as anything like helping organize the
love boat cruise on Minnetonka and letting it get out to the media. You do that kind of stuff, don't forget to pay the right people to keep quiet. That mess effected his career, pocketbook and reputation as much as the injury.
I don't disagree that he was pretty good on the field prior to the injury. Some of the stuff he said and did after hurting his knee, like working out at a mall
without team trainers and acting as his own agent derailed any chance he had of a comeback and for me made him seem brain dead.
I was a fan of Daunte on the field not so much after the antics that ended up getting him traded to Miami.

He was brain dead because of the stuff he did off the field as much as anything like helping organize the
love boat cruise on Minnetonka and letting it get out to the media. You do that kind of stuff, don't forget to pay the right people to keep quiet. That mess effected his career, pocketbook and reputation as much as the injury.
I don't disagree that he was pretty good on the field prior to the injury. Some of the stuff he said and did after hurting his knee, like working out at a mall
without team trainers and acting as his own agent derailed any chance he had of a comeback and for me made him seem brain dead.
I was a fan of Daunte on the field not so much after the antics that ended up getting him traded to Miami.

You are trying way to hard.

The organizers of the "love boat" was Fred Smoot, Mewelde Moore and Lance Johnstone The only person who was confirmed (he admitted it) to have broken the law by having a paid for sexual encounter with a stripper was the Captain of the love boat and Fred and Alma employee (who interestingly enough was not charged...sarcasm alert)....not a Viking player. Several Viking players pleaded guilty to misdemeaners to make this very public incident go away.

Daunte Culpeper? Was guilty of being in attendance to a party in didn't plan.

Daunte working out in a mall? He must have looked really silly running wind sprints in front of Old Navy. Oh... there was a gym IN the mall? What was he ever thinking?

You say he should have been working out with team trainers? You do realize that few football players of his caliber are willing to submit their health to medical staff paid by the team....the whole conflict of interest thing. Also he wanted his contract addressed. He wasn't interested in being around the new coach "Chilli" who had a history of being petty and antagonistic (later cut a player on Christmas Eve). Remember Chilli had inserted himself into the middle of the conflict after being hired.

A smart coach wouldn't have taken sides and let the thing play out....he wasn't privy to any of the promises that had been made prior to the start of the season and understandable changed after he was hurt. Which is interesting by itself. Remember Daunte had held out for one day prior to the start of the season and only returned when Ziggy gave him 1 million and promised to renogotiate his contract after the season. Daunte played the season with a head coach who had never been a coordintator of any kind and a former oline coach making his debut as offensive coordinator. With no offense Daunte was asked to run more frequently by Tice and 3 days later suffered what would become a career ending injury.

You say he should have had a agent? First off; why would that bother YOU? You do realize he fired his agent after his agent went public with trades demands....something he told him NOT to do. Daunte was extremely naive in believing that he could sit down and talk man to man with Ziggy. That was not going to happen with front office personel like Brezenski making power grab plays. Brezenski inserted himself between Ziggy and Daunte and the rest is history.

I certainly understand Ziggy not giving money to a player that suffered the injury Daunte did. I understand Daunte wanting the owner to live up to his promise after he left everything (including his career) on the field. What I don't understand is why any of this would lead you to claim Daunte is brain dead and stop being a fan?

6 years after leaving high school, MG was still trying to gain yards by moving the pile.

I heard Gray had a rough all star week ! Reports he dropped many balls and ran poor routes thus the reason he was grouped with the Qb's at the combine ! It is a huge long shot he would make a roster at Qb with his accuracy issues ! Maybe a full back would be his only chance ! A man without a position !

I heard Gray had a rough all star week ! Reports he dropped many balls and ran poor routes thus the reason he was grouped with the Qb's at the combine ! It is a huge long shot he would make a roster at Qb with his accuracy issues ! Maybe a full back would be his only chance ! A man without a position !

A buddy of mine who is a NFL coach told me the same thing.

Sportsfan24 your memory is better than mine

The organizers of the "love boat" was Fred Smoot, Mewelde Moore and Lance Johnstone The only person who was confirmed (he admitted it) to have broken the law by having a paid for sexual encounter with a stripper was the Captain of the love boat and Fred and Alma employee (who interestingly enough was not charged...sarcasm alert)....not a Viking player. Several Viking players pleaded guilty to misdemeaners to make this very public incident go away.

Sportsfan24 you remember this way better than I do, for some reason I thought the media portrayed him Culpepper as more than a paticipant in that whole incident, like he was a ring leader like Smoot or Moore. I do remember them staking out Mewelde Moores house and digging in the dudes garbage. That and they dogged him for working out at the Strip mall Novacare location or health south.
I stand corrected on this.
Culpepper was never the same player after ripping up his knee during the Carolina game as he lost his escapability and losing Linehan hurt him because they seemed to really click in calling plays. His best year was when he was slinging it to Wiggins, he was carrying the team.
Your right I piled on him a little more than I should have, he was one of the top QB's at his position for 3 to 4 years. The whole dang team was never the same after the Stringer debacle, Vikings were in quite a slump after that fiasco under Tice happened with the Stringer death and then in the coming years Red McCombs giving Randy Moss away for draft choices and then the Culpepper shredding his knee injury. It has been a quite a string of QB's since #11 was in his heyday and the Favre 2009 year. Vikings have been searching for a Franchise QB ever since.

Sportsfan24 your memory is better than mine

Sportsfan24 you remember this way better than I do, for some reason I thought the media portrayed him Culpepper as more than a paticipant in that whole incident, like he was a ring leader like Smoot or Moore. I do remember them staking out Mewelde Moores house and digging in the dudes garbage. I stand corrected on this.
Culpepper was never the same player after ripping up his knee during the Carolina game as he lost his escapability and losing Linehan hurt him because they seemed to really click. Your right I piled on him a little more than I should have, he was one of the top QB's at his position for 3 to 4 years. The whole dang team was never the same after the Stringer debacle, Vikings were in quite a slump after that fiasco under Tice happened.

Gray once again will be behind Weber. If he's drafte as a QB I'd be shocked. Athlete maybe.

I like Gray - but let's be honest he's not a QB. He will be successful in NFL and make good $$$.

per Sid:

Where will Gray play?

Former Gophers quarterback MarQueis Gray has been speculating about what position he might play in the NFL.

“I’ve been hearing is I’m probably going to be doing a lot of stand-up tight-end type, being that move-around guy,” Gray said. “[An] H-back tight end, so I’m doing a lot of work now to get myself ready for that, as well as running routes and throwing the ball in case different types of teams have different perspectives on how they want to use me.

“I’ve been playing quarterback all my life so I’m always going to love playing quarterback. Secondly, I would say wide receiver because I’ve been doing that more than tight end. I just recently started doing tight end and I’m getting the hang of it, getting down in the three-point stance, but I’m willing to do all three of those positions if need be.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/198633861.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom