STrib Op-Ed: In wake of newest scandal, Board of Regents must set a new tone for U

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Star Tribune Editorial Board:

Claeys, in short, should have owned the discipline that was meted out to the suspended players, not praised the rest of the team for its short-lived revolt. He should have been the first to tell the accused players that whether or not they could be convicted of a crime, their behavior violated university standards. As regards the rest of the team, Claeys might have suggested they reacquaint themselves with the code-of-*conduct pledge they took.

Also disturbing were the remarks made over the weekend by U Board of Regents chairman Dean Johnson, in which he said of the boycotters, “I don’t 100 percent agree with what [they] did, but I commend them for their courage.” Although he made clear that the university condemns sexual harassment and assault, Johnson also questioned suspensions “without hearing” and said of Claeys’ defense of the players in the threatened boycott, “Well, if he doesn’t support his players and you go to the Holiday Bowl, guess what? I don’t think they’re going to play too hard for you.”

Frankly, Regent Johnson, most Minnesotans could not care less if the Gophers beat Washington State in the Holiday Bowl; they simply want the off-the-field disgraces to stop and for their world-class university to receive national news coverage for its research breakthroughs, not scandal after scandal in its men’s sports programs. In any case, the players should know that, in a dispute, the most visible action is not necessarily the most courageous.

http://www.startribune.com/in-wake-...-regents-must-set-a-new-tone-for-u/407512996/

Go Gophers!!

Like when one of their own reporter was harassed by Teague and they did nothing about it. The hypocrazy never ends.

Like when one of their own reporter was harassed by Teague and they did nothing about it. The hypocrazy never ends.

That's a heck of a point. The STrib had their chance to take a stand on this topic as it relates directly to the U and decided not to.

Go Gophers!!

I agree. I raised that point myself while venting over the fiasco. With that said, I can understand some of the points made.

First rule of responding to criticism: criticize the criticizer.

The star tribune and news media in general need to go back to reporting facts instead of inserting opinions at every opportunity.

The star tribune and news media in general need to go back to reporting facts instead of inserting opinions at every opportunity.

Editorial pages have been around since the invention of newspapers. You want to get rid of them?

There have been editorials in papers daily since newspapers were invented.

Go Gophers!!

The problem with this editorial is that it assumes guilt. What if the players are innocent? We still don't know all the facts, but they are assuming it was sexual assault. Too many people assigning guilt and innocence and taking strong stands.

Who owns the Star Tribune? The owner is the only entity that can alter the editorial stance.

These are the kind of of people that are absolutely terrifying. Assuming guilt without due process. Criticizing Johnson for even suggesting they should receive a legitimate hearing before suspensions or releasing their names. I was wondering how the media would come down on this issue and they are squarely in the tar and feather camp. Insert just about any other non-white, non-male, non-Christian group in their place and they would be calling for a more cautious tone. They are out of their minds with anger and prejudice.

Hey editor, the students have not yet received a formal hearing, even by the standard of the EOAA process. So yes, they have been suspended without a formal hearing.

Good ole Self Righteous Star Tribune, the fact that they did not back their own employee against the crap Teague was pulling gives them no morale high ground, not even the Op editorial board.

Has one of their executives tweeted out yet that Claeys won't be able to Awww-shucks his way out of this? Then they can use 4-letter words and block everyone who asks for facts again. The Strib endorses everything the EOAA pumps out - nothing like enraging the misinformed for more clicks. Classy group over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually think BoR Chair Johnson made his statement with purpose...and many like the Ed board at the Strib are completely misinterpreting it. That's why I am curious to see when and how the BoR steps in and acts.

Has he or anyone else on the BoR made statements supporting the actions of Kaler and Coyle? Not exactly, here is another quote from him on the situation:

On Gophers players facing penalties without first having a hearing:

"When someone is suspended without hearing – and I think that’s the gist of why the football team decided to boycott; they felt there had been allegations without hearing. I’ve talked to [university President Eric Kaler] about this many times, that somehow we need to take a look at that notification hearing process. You know the old adage, ‘You’re innocent until proven guilty?’ I’m not sure that was true in this case. Their pictures are across the wide spectrum and people just assume they were guilty.”

Bottom line - the way public opinion is swinging, anyone who comes out with any degree of support for the players is risking being labeled as "supporting rapists" or "condoning sexual assault." There is a ton of CYA behavior going on among the media.

Top Bottom