STrib: New college basketball writer Fuller compares Gophers past and present

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Looking at this 2016-17 roster, I’d say Nate Mason’s aggressive scorer’s mentality and swagger at point guard reminds me of Lawrence McKenzie (2007-08) and Andre Hollins (2011-15). Top incoming freshman Amir Coffey’s passing skills as a 6-8 guard hasn't been seen here probably since Leo Rautins aka "White Magic" played one season for the Gophers in 1978 (Never saw him but heard diehard Gophers fans describe his skills).

The best look-a-like player comparison, though, is definitely Jordan Murphy bringing back memories of Trevor Mbakwe’s #beastmode days at the U from 2010-13. Murphy is about 6-7 and 240 pounds. So is Mbakwe. Both players are intimidating in the paint, powerfully built and never saw a basket they did not want to punish with a thunderous dunk. They both crash the offensive glass like mad men and talk about the art of rebounding like philosophers. Murphy watches videos of Mbakwe because of how much they're similar. Murphy's screams last season after slams mirrored Mbakwe's emotional outbursts at the Barn a few years earlier. Will Murphy ever lead the Big Ten in rebounding like Mbakwe did twice? Maybe not. But Murphy’s only a sophomore. He could end up being better in a lot of ways. Let me know what you think of my comparisons, or if you have any others with this roster.

http://www.startribune.com/new-coll...-compares-gophers-past-and-present/389097481/

Go Gophers!!

Do any of you remember what Mbakwe was like at Murphy's age? Was he as raw as Murphy? I'm apprehensive about expectations of how much better Murphy can get based on the fact that his skill set is simply being more athletic than others and trying harder.

Is he a good enough basketball player to develop a hook shot or a drop step? Or will he be limited to out jumping, tip ins, and blow byes like he did last year?

When doubled, he was disastrous at the end of the season. I think those things can be fixed with maturity and having a team around him.

That all said, he can carve out quite the career in the Maroon and Gold relying on his athleticism and effort. Lord knows every team needs 3 or 4 guys just like what Murphy was last year, I just hope he can be so much more.

So 6'5 then?

mbakwe.JPG

He's definitely shorter than Trevor, probably by an 1" - 1 1/2".

He's already proven he can get the job done down low, so it doesn't really matter if he is 6'-5" something without shoes or not.

ht.JPG

Do any of you remember what Mbakwe was like at Murphy's age? Was he as raw as Murphy? I'm apprehensive about expectations of how much better Murphy can get based on the fact that his skill set is simply being more athletic than others and trying harder.

Is he a good enough basketball player to develop a hook shot or a drop step? Or will he be limited to out jumping, tip ins, and blow byes like he did last year?

When doubled, he was disastrous at the end of the season. I think those things can be fixed with maturity and having a team around him.

That all said, he can carve out quite the career in the Maroon and Gold relying on his athleticism and effort. Lord knows every team needs 3 or 4 guys just like what Murphy was last year, I just hope he can be so much more.

Murphy's freshman year > Mbakwe's with Marquette. Who knows how Murphy turns out though.

Murphy plays bigger because of his wing span. He might be only 6'5"-6'6", but with that wing span he plays to 6'8".

Is that Curry standing next to Murphy in that pic? If so, holy hell how tall is that kid?

Is that Curry standing next to Murphy in that pic? If so, holy hell how tall is that kid?

Yeah that's Curry next to Murphy. Rivals lists him at 6'8", the Gophers' official roster lists him at 6'9", with Murphy at 6'6". Lynch is also listed at 6'9". I'm not sure if that's Fitzgerald next to Curry, but I'm inclined to say it is, and he looks even taller than Curry, but he's only listed at 6'8".

Yeah that's Curry next to Murphy. Rivals lists him at 6'8", the Gophers' official roster lists him at 6'9", with Murphy at 6'6". Lynch is also listed at 6'9". I'm not sure if that's Fitzgerald next to Curry, but I'm inclined to say it is, and he looks even taller than Curry, but he's only listed at 6'8".

I think that's Konate next to Curry with Fitz on the other side of the picture

program heights, IMHO, are a joke. some use heights in bare feet - some with shoes on. At the HS level, I've known coaches who fudge the heights to make certain players seem taller. Team A will have a player listed as 6'4" - who is clearly shorter than a player from Team B who is listed as 6'3". When my brother was a senior in HS, his team made the District finals. When the coach turned in the roster for the program, he bumped every player on the team up at least 1 or 2" - my brother went from 5'10" to 6'0" overnight. (didn't help them win the game........)

I never saw Mbakwe play his freshman year at Marquette. That said there is certainly similarities in style. What I like more with Murphy and I liked Mbakwe is Murphy seems to get the ball released in tight quarters after capturing a rebound. Both captured or capture rebounds with authority. But I seem to remember Mbakwe at times had trouble releasing a put back after a rebound. If Mbakwe was getting hammered right after a rebound trying to put back a shot he hung onto the ball and got to the freethrow if fouled, but no three point play. It seems to me in a similar situation Murphy gets the put back shot off. Murphy also seems to be in a position where shot is coming off better than anyone I've seen in a long time. I don't know if that gift is reading the flight of the shot or just controlling people on the floor around him.

program heights, IMHO, are a joke. some use heights in bare feet - some with shoes on. At the HS level, I've known coaches who fudge the heights to make certain players seem taller. Team A will have a player listed as 6'4" - who is clearly shorter than a player from Team B who is listed as 6'3". When my brother was a senior in HS, his team made the District finals. When the coach turned in the roster for the program, he bumped every player on the team up at least 1 or 2" - my brother went from 5'10" to 6'0" overnight. (didn't help them win the game........)

I've always wondered why they do that. I was listed at 6'5 my junior year and 6'6 my senior year. I was roughly 6'4/6'5 and I would've rather been listed under those heights. HS kid sees a 6'6 guy at Center and he's going to take it a heckuva lot more seriously than if he sees 6'3. I wanted to sneak up on people. I needed all the help I could get.

I've always wondered why they do that. I was listed at 6'5 my junior year and 6'6 my senior year. I was roughly 6'4/6'5 and I would've rather been listed under those heights. HS kid sees a 6'6 guy at Center and he's going to take it a heckuva lot more seriously than if he sees 6'3. I wanted to sneak up on people. I needed all the help I could get.

I always thought you were closer to 6'2"

Top Bottom