STrib: Mike Sanford Jr. not planning 'wholesale' changes to Gophers offense

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

In the first 24 hours of having the Gophers offensive coordinator job, Mike Sanford Jr. called about 15 Gophers players, including all of the quarterbacks and returning starters, just trying to learn about them.

After a week in the position, Sanford said Thursday he’s still in the information-gathering stage, trying to study what works in the Gophers offense and how he can add to that. With the offense returning all but two starters next year and having scored 443 points in an 11-2 season, Sanford isn’t about to overhaul the system.

“It won’t be a wholesale change by any stretch,” Sanford said of his player-focused view on continuing the success the Gophers had with the run-pass option and play-action. “… To come in and try to make them learn a bunch of new things would make absolutely no sense. But for us to try to find what’s been done and grow it, it makes a whole lot of sense.”

Go Gophers!!

That's promising. Keep the stuff that worked and build on it, also tweak the stuff that had some problems. What this says to me is the offense will look pretty much the same, with some slightly different formations or looks, maybe an extra wrinkle or two.

I don't think he would.

But even if he was... I would think Mike is smart enough to know not to say it ;)

Still don't think he is planning on that.

I am glad to hear this, and at least hope if he is going to make a significant change he introduces it gradually. Not like Brew significantly changing the offense every year.

I can get behind this. I think the hire was good. With Fleck having Simon work with Sanford, I think they’ll make this offense fire on all cylinders. Everywhere I’ve read Sanford is a brilliant offensive mind. My guess is he wasn’t ready for the HC responsibilities quite yet, but I’ve read that as OC he’s been phenomenal. He’s really good with QB’s too I’ve heard. Simon and Fleck are good with WR’s. I think 2020 is going to be filled with some very exciting games

Top Bottom