STrib: Mason’s growth wasted, for now.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

Mason’s growth wasted, for now. Lost in the scuffle of the worst losing streak in nearly four decades is the fact that sophomore point guard Nate Mason is playing pretty well right now. He’s scored 59 points in the last three games, and tonight he added a new career-high 12 assists. He’s been in attack mode recently, driving to the hoop instead of relying on threes, and he’s piped up a lot more in huddles and on the court. He also seems to be the player that’s taking the losses the hardest – and believe me, the locker room is a tough place to be – possibly because he realizes he has to reach the next level yet if Minnesota is to turn its season around at any point this year. Unfortunately, it’s tough when your go-to guy is also the best at setting up plays. Against Illinois, it was his looooong three-pointer miss that essentially forced overtime when no one else could find a way to help. Tonight, he didn’t get the chance. But if the Gophers are going to get over the hump, they need to get the ball to Mason and live with both his misses and ultimately, his successes.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ee-throw-woes-down-minnesota-again/366800521/

Go Gophers!!

Why?

Because with our fantastic depth and 8 other available scholarship players we have someone better?

That would be just plain stupid.

King reminds me of Austin Hollins. Other than a ~4 game stretch, everyone was so excited for him to leave during his senior year. Then the next year came and everyone realized that he brought some of the things the team was missing.

When next year's team struggles with outside shooting, I guarantee there will be people lamenting the loss of Joey King.

King reminds me of Austin Hollins. Other than a ~4 game stretch, everyone was so excited for him to go his senior year. Then the next year came and everyone realized that he brought some of the things the team was missing.

When next year's team struggles with outside shooting, I guarantee there will be people lamenting the loss of Joey King.

Will miss his shooting, but Joey just can't defend. I think that's what people miss about Austin the most he could lockdown the other teams best player

King reminds me of Austin Hollins. Other than a ~4 game stretch, everyone was so excited for him to go his senior year. Then the next year came and everyone realized that he brought some of the things the team was missing.

Hollins did a lot more than King. Joey just is who he is: a streaky shooter. There isn't a whole lot else he does well. He goes off one game (Illinois) and is practically non-existent the next (Purdue). He can be a solid role player, just isn't a top player or leader.

Bring it back to Mason on the bright side he seems to be out of his sophomore swoon and on top of that the freshman are starting to come along nicely. Even Konate has looked better lately. Mason is clearly are guy. I wonder with Coffey coming in if they'll give him more opportunities to play off the ball. In these last possession situations they should have plenty of ball handlers next year so if Mason's the best scoring option he shouldn't have to facilitate

Bring it back to Mason on the bright side he seems to be out of his sophomore swoon and on top of that the freshman are starting to come along nicely. Even Konate has looked better lately. Mason is clearly are guy. I wonder with Coffey coming in if they'll give him more opportunities to play off the ball. In these last possession situations they should have plenty of ball handlers next year so if Mason's the best scoring option he shouldn't have to facilitate

There is no way that a freshman, 6'7" shooting guard handles the ball more than a junior combo guard.

Next year will not be as divisive because we will have an inside game that will pass for decent.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mason is my dude. Really like how he rode his defender into a do or die situation in the lane and used his fantastic pull up jumper or a quick pass to bakary. Helps that bk caught the ball last night too.

Mason is my dude. Really like how he rode his defender into a do or die situation in the lane and used his fantastic pull up jumper or a quick pass to bakary. Helps that bk caught the ball last night too.

Mason did a great job last night. He drove in closer for his mid range instead of being 3 inches in front of the three point line and he made quicker and more decisive passes out of the screen and roll. He played really really well.

Yup. Agreed. I still miss Hollins.

Same. Austin was amazing. Went to the game at Iowa one year and got to sit behind the bench. Seeing the trust Pitino had in Austin was amazing. He was the main guy he'd call plays in to and give instruction to. Austin was his coach on the floor. Really a real professional and a great kid and player.

Mason is going to be the key leader his junior and senior seasons to take this team places. He's a very good player that should get better, he's becoming a vocal leader and he seems highly competitive; those are the attributes we'll need (in him and others) for the program to see success.

Mason is crazy good at finishing/drawing fouls for a guy his size with average jumping ability. I love how aggressive he is lately while also dishing well while driving. Dupree has done the same lately. I love his aggressiveness and ease at which he blows by defenders. I don't read a ton of in-game threads but outside of them it doesn't seem like Dupree gets as much praise for his passing ability as I'd expect (maybe I'm missing it though). Teams are going to have difficulty staying in front of our backcourt the next few years. I just can't wait until we have the depth to press and can start getting steals and running in transition.

Top Bottom