STrib: Leidner expected to start; Kill says he won't hesitate to play Streveler

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Christensen:

"[Nelson] is throwing the football, handing off, but there’s been no burst or run," Kill said. "We’ll have to be careful. We won’t take any chances whatsoever."

Streveler is a true freshman, but Kill said the Gophers won't hesitate to use him.

"In our situation, the way we play, you can’t all of a sudden get conservative about what you do," Kill said. "Chris needs to be ready to play. The way I’m approaching it right now, if we were playing tomorrow, Chris is our No. 2 quarterback, and he needs to be ready to play. And if Mitch gets tired, we’re going to play him."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/224329891.html

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Gophers football: Backup QB Chris Streveler might play Saturday

Gophers freshman quarterback Chris Streveler might see the field in a backup role Saturday against San Jose State, coach Jerry Kill said Wednesday.

Redshirt freshman Mitch Leidner is preparing to be the starter after he replaced Philip Nelson, who hurt his hamstring in last week's victory over Western Illinois.

Streveler, who graduated early from high school to join the team in spring practice this year, is taking reps behind Leidner in practice this week.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_24127226/gophers-football-backup-qb-chris-streveler-might-play

Go Gophers!!

FSN: Gophers QB position in flux with San Jose State on horizon

Now, there's a chance Leidner takes the field Saturday against San Jose State as Minnesota's starter. It would be the first start of the redshirt freshman's young career, but the Gophers feel confident if they do have to go that route if sophomore Philip Nelson is still hampered by his hamstring.

"He was prepared for his opportunity, took advantage of his opportunity and played very well," Kill said of Leidner, who was 7-for-8 for 105 yards. "We're very pleased with what he did, and (it) allowed Philip, who had a hamstring strain, to heal up properly. Hopefully (Nelson will) be ready by the weekend, but if he's not we'll be prepared to play Mitch. We'll feel good about it because of the preparation he did and he showed it on Saturday."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...-flux-with-San-Jos?blockID=941469&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

This was likely to happen the moment Shortell transferred. After this year, it shouldn't be an issue again.

per Christensen:

"[Nelson] is throwing the football, handing off, but there’s been no burst or run," Kill said. "We’ll have to be careful. We won’t take any chances whatsoever."

Streveler is a true freshman, but Kill said the Gophers won't hesitate to use him.

"In our situation, the way we play, you can’t all of a sudden get conservative about what you do," Kill said. "Chris needs to be ready to play. The way I’m approaching it right now, if we were playing tomorrow, Chris is our No. 2 quarterback, and he needs to be ready to play. And if Mitch gets tired, we’re going to play him."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/224329891.html

Go Gophers!!

If he gets tired??? That just sounds funny. Your starting QB doesn't usually leave a game because he's just plain exhausted.

If Streveler does need to play this year due to injury, we can always redshirt him next year if he's still stuck behind Nelson and Leidner.

If Streveler does need to play this year due to injury, we can always redshirt him next year if he's still stuck behind Nelson and Leidner.

Not a bad thought. I'm not familiar, does it happen?

I think holding out Nelson is a good plan. Was it last year that Gray rushed back and got injured again? He then really wasn't the same guy the rest of the year. My guess is that Jones gets any reps at QB if Leidner just needs a breather and that Streveler only plays if Leidner gets injured.

We probably can't beat this team mostly by running and Leidner is the better passer - or seems to be. These next two games are huge, as many have pointed out, yet we have little or no idea whether they are winnable. Lately, I'm thinking we might win both, though SJS might jump out to a lead - depends on how big a lead. Losing both would be crushing.

I think holding out Nelson is a good plan. Was it last year that Gray rushed back and got injured again? He then really wasn't the same guy the rest of the year. My guess is that Jones gets any reps at QB if Leidner just needs a breather and that Streveler only plays if Leidner gets injured.
I don't see Jones being prepared for any extensive action, but I do see him repping a handful of plays, should Leidner have to leave for a play. The most likely situation is if his helmet gets knocked off.

One of Leidner or Nelson will transfer in the next year or two. I trust Kill and staff are competent enough to choose which of the two will be the starter for the next couple years.

One of Leidner or Nelson will transfer in the next year or two. I trust Kill and staff are competent enough to choose which of the two will be the starter for the next couple years.

A) Why don't 120 plus backup FBS quarterbacks in this country transfer every year to get playing time?

B) Kill uses multiple quarterbacks all the time.

Only way one of them transfers is if they get in a situation like Shortell where they know they are not in the staffs plans for the future but still feel they are good enough to play somewhere else. Nelson and Leidner are very similar and both fit the mold Kill wants in a QB so I don't see either of them jumping ship, especially if they are viewed as options 1 and 1a. Given the amount we run the QB there is a pretty good chance we will need multiple QBs every year to take snaps.

The way we use our QB's in the read option you need 2 available at all times because one is eventually going to get nicked. I wouldn't be surprised when Nelson gets back that Kill uses Mitch in more than just a mop up role.

what happened to Dexter Foreman?

The way we use our QB's in the read option you need 2 available at all times because one is eventually going to get nicked. I wouldn't be surprised when Nelson gets back that Kill uses Mitch in more than just a mop up role.

Kill has said all year that he wanted to use Leidner in every game. Game flow has something to do with it. Kill has also said they are an option team and he has always had option teams. You need two QB's to be an option team. If they burn Streveler's red-shirt and Nelson and Leidner can stay healthy the rest of year, Streveler can help out at WR and special teams. Kill always points out he want playmakers on the field.

Bust. He wasn't even part of the 105 man roster during fall practice. I'm not even sure he suits up for games.

He's been with the white jerseys (walk-ons and redshirting freshmen) at both home games so far. He might be suited up this weekend if Nelson can't go, but I doubt it. They'd probably play Rhoda before Foreman.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Chris was used to playing against the Maroon & Gold and now he plays for the Maroon & Gold... :clap:

I don't see Jones being prepared for any extensive action, but I do see him repping a handful of plays, should Leidner have to leave for a play. The most likely situation is if his helmet gets knocked off.

I think they should have a wildcat package for Jones regardless if the starting QB needs a break. They very well may have this and just aren't going to show it until the BT season. Imagine Jones in the shotgun with Kirkwood and Williams on each side of him. One fast guy and two bowling balls in the backfield.

Top Bottom