STrib: Koi Perich, Gophers' prized football recruit, arrives on campus ready to make his mark

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Randy:

Move-in day on a college campus often is a rewarding but emotional time for parents as they say goodbye to a teenager who's about to live away from home for the first time.

Such was the case Wednesday for George and Danielle Perich, who made the two-hour drive from Esko, Minn., to Dinkytown. They were going through the rite of passage with their son, Koi, who reported to the University of Minnesota to begin his career with the Gophers football team.

While waiting for Koi to finish some football meetings before helping him move into his new digs, Danielle Perich was asked if she had shed any tears. "Not yet," she said, knowing that some might come later.

For Koi, emotions hit, too, and the main one was excitement, especially when he entered the apartment he'll share with three freshman teammates at the Radius, a short walk away from the Gophers football complex.

"This is dope!" he said. "I've got my own bathroom and everything. It's a good place to start."

Excited also can describe the mood of the Gophers coaching staff and fan base with Perich wearing maroon and gold.

The versatile, athletic playmaker excelled on offense, defense and special teams for Esko's Lincoln Secondary School and will play safety for the Gophers. The four-star recruit, who scored 27 touchdowns last season, was the top-ranked Minnesotan in the 2024 prep class, and he stayed true to his April 19, 2023, verbal commitment despite late pushes by the likes of Ohio State, USC and Florida State.

Less than a week before the Dec. 20 early signing date, Buckeyes coach Ryan Day visited the Periches in Esko to make his final pitch.

"It was really stressful at the end," Danielle Perich said. "I continue to be impressed with Koi. Every time he would go on a visit, he handled himself so well. That Sunday before signing day, I could tell it was weighing on him."

Added George Perich, "He kind of embraced it. It could be overwhelming at times. He liked it but wanted to be done at the same time."

Go Gophers!!

Absolutely the first thing to do is find the best pizza and Gyro.......even before unpacking.

Mr. Santanna's has good gyros and dang good cheese curds. The corner grocery. Don't go late at night and never alone, Just as precaution. That's any city when walking at night even as a dude. You just never know when the phone thieves and muggers show up. It happens I know couple females had phones and wallets taken and they were in groups of 2 or 3.

I haven't been hyped on a player more than Koi. I really hope he lives up to it!

Top Bottom