STrib: Kaler said he hopes to hire Teague’s replacement by July 1

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler said he plans to begin a search for a new athletic director after the first of the year and that he’s leaning against using an outside search firm this time.

Kaler shared some insight into his plans after a special Board of Regents meeting Tuesday in which the findings of an investigation into sexual harassment claims against former athletic director Norwood Teague were revealed, as well as a financial audit of the athletic department.

Kaler said he hopes to hire Teague’s replacement by July 1. Kaler appointed Beth Goetz interim athletic director after Teague’s abrupt resignation in August.

Kaler indicated Tuesday that he has more expertise in college athletics now so he doesn’t feel compelled to use a search firm.

“I am a much more experienced president than I was when I searched for Teague,” he said. “I have a lot of contacts in the college athletics world now. I’m chairman of the Big Ten board of directors. I think there’s less of a need to use a search firm like Parker than there was four years ago.”

Kaler suggested he’s inclined to assemble his own search committee, presumably made up of different constituents within the university and athletic department. He noted that a broad-based internal committee poses potential problems with confidentiality and scheduling, but he sounded open to that idea.

http://www.startribune.com/kaler-likely-won-t-use-search-firm-to-find-new-ad/361156131/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom