Strib: Joe C notes from convo with Coach Limegrover

jaymil

Reaction score
A lot of good nuggets in this blog posted by Joe Christensen:

I caught up with Gophers offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover on Tuesday to get his thoughts looking ahead to spring practice, which starts March 3. Limegrover is always a good quote, so I'll be sprinkling his comments into my coverage throughout camp. For now, here are a few of the things I gleaned from the conversation:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/292271471.html

I think too many people are dismissing him. He'll have a good year in my opinion and wouldn't be shocked if he got to 1,000 yards.

I agree. He has looked solid in his limited play. He seems to find the hole fairly well, probably not as great as Cobb did, but Cobb was a freak when it came to finding holes when their were none. I do wonder though if what has kept him from seeing the filed in the past could keep him from seeing the field alot this year. He has the skills to be very good, just wonder if they'll decide he's gonna be "their guy".

I agree. He has looked solid in his limited play. He seems to find the hole fairly well, probably not as great as Cobb did, but Cobb was a freak when it came to finding holes when their were none. I do wonder though if what has kept him from seeing the filed in the past could keep him from seeing the field alot this year. He has the skills to be very good, just wonder if they'll decide he's gonna be "their guy".

Also my concern. Hopefully his head gets straightened out, because he can clearly play. Love the 4th down touchdown against Nebraska this last year. It was Gary Russell 2.0. He can definitely take a beating and also give one out. 240 is a lot to bring down, love his bruising style.

Also my concern. Hopefully his head gets straightened out, because he can clearly play. Love the 4th down touchdown against Nebraska this last year. It was Gary Russell 2.0. He can definitely take a beating and also give one out. 240 is a lot to bring down, love his bruising style.

He's the type that I most enjoy emulating on Saturdays using the open space in front of my couch: he trucks the Nebraska(?) player for the td, I truck my wife, son, pillow, etc. ; )
He's fun to watch!

He's the type that I most enjoy emulating on Saturdays using the open space in front of my couch: he trucks the Nebraska(?) player for the td, I truck my wife, son, pillow, etc. ; )
He's fun to watch!

lol. Not sure "trucking" your wife and child are considered PC now a days... :rolleyes:;)

I love nugget, but would be mildly disappointed if JJ couldn't beat him out for the majority of the carries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love nugget, but would be mildly disappointed if JJ couldn't beat him out for the majority of the carries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's pretty clear from past seasons that the coaches value other things over just making plays with the ball in your hands. If Jones can pick up pass protection/run fakes/routes he'll play. Williams at least has game experience in attempting these things so I'd imagine he's going to have a leg up on the younger guys.
That said, it's also possible none of the runningbacks separates themselves in perfecting these techniques and they just end up playing a bunch of guys all season hoping one of them figures it out over the others.

I'm excited to see Jones run with the ball, but I Iove the thought of Williams getting 20+ touches a game. Can you imagine how the opposing linebackers and safteys will feel with 10 minutes left in the game? Ouch. Might make life easier for Edwards and Jones with the defense having been battered all game long.

lol. Not sure "trucking" your wife and child are considered PC now a days... :rolleyes:;)

Dangit probably not. I need to work on that!

In fairness they are both Alabama fans so they kind of had it coming anyway.

Really astute observation!!!!!

Top Bottom