STrib: Jack Henderson is the Gophers’ big-play machine with a big, Cajun personality to match

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Randy:

When Corey Hetherman and his staff put together a game plan, the Gophers defensive coordinator has a variety of ingredients to use, much like a chef preparing a complex main dish and making sure each item complements the other.

Lately, Hetherman is dabbling in some Cajun cooking and using a healthy dash of cayenne pepper at just the right time.

Bringing that heat is Jack Henderson, the Louisianan and versatile defensive back who’s shown a knack for big plays over the past two games. Two weeks ago, the 6-2, 215-pounder returned an interception 25 yards for a touchdown and added a fumble recovery in a 48-0 victory over Rhode Island. Last week, he had 1½ sacks among his three tackles in a 27-0 victory over Nevada.

“He’s fun to have on our team,” Hetherman said with a smile. “He does a lot of really good things for us in all situations.”

Henderson, a senior in his second season with the Gophers after transferring from FCS-level Southeastern Louisiana, has become an important player for Minnesota entering its Big Ten opener against Iowa on Saturday night. He starts at nickelback but has duties that go well beyond pass coverage. He’s strong in run support, as his team-leading 59 tackles last year show, and he’s quick enough to cover wide receivers. Lately, though, it has been his pass-rushing skills that Hetherman has put to use.

After the Nevada game, Henderson was excited to say that his time spent blitzing has increased “significantly.” It’s part of his game that he embraces.

“That’s the main thing I’ve been working on,” he said. “Every single day, I’m hitting some new pass rush work, especially with the D-linemen. Those guys are elite pass rushers, and I’m just learning new things every day, getting more comfortable doing it.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom