STrib: Gophers senior guard Taurus Samuels gains coach Ben Johnson's full trust

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

During a five-game stretch in November, Gophers guard Taurus Samuels saw his playing time shrink to less than six minutes per game. But he remained ready to help the team when called upon.

After four consecutive losses, Samuels was part of a starting lineup change in the backcourt by Gophers coach Ben Johnson in mid-December. The results haven't immediately translated to a Big Ten win, but the impact of Samuels has been apparent.

No play was more critical than his game-tying three-pointer with 4.8 seconds left in regulation in last weekend's 81-79 overtime loss against Nebraska.

"No ego and an unbelievable team player," Johnson said. "Not a selfish bone in his body. He's in the young guys' ear every day in practice. Great teammate. He's like that backup quarterback; he knows at any moment I trust him."

Go Gophers!!

Samuels is a steady hand. Unfortunately he just isn't much else at this level. I can see why he would have success in the Ivy league though

doesnt bring a lot to the table but agreed. a steady hand. Hopefully last game gave him some confidence.

and even when he is on the bench he is always involved and cheering.

I'd ask myself, where does he fit in the 5/7/9? That is, start 5, trust 7, play 9. I think he's definitely trustworthy but not one of your big producers. That said, Tum Tum Nairn didn't score a whole lot for MSU, but he was a steady hand and, I believe, a starter as an upperclassman. There's a place for guys like that on a good team.

Higher floor, lower ceiling with him in there. I think we need to keep Henley in there if he’s breaking down the defense like he was against Nebraska.

Top Bottom