STrib: Gophers QB Mitch Leidner's brother played an unexpected role in final game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Matt Leidner lost about 30 pounds in the four weeks leading to the Holiday Bowl, thinking his football career was basically over and knowing he needed foot surgery.

He’d come to the Gophers as a walk-on and played only sparingly as a third-string center. He was best known as quarterback Mitch Leidner’s younger brother.

But Monday morning, one day before the Holiday Bowl in San Diego, offensive line coach Bart Miller delivered surprising news. Starting center Tyler Moore had suffered a back injury. With No. 2 option Jared Weyler also injured, the Gophers suddenly needed Matt Leidner to start.

“I ate a couple big meals, trying to get some weight back on for the game,” Leidner said, chuckling. “But I don’t think it really helped.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...d-an-unexpected-role-in-final-game/408900845/

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

Matt Leidner lost about 30 pounds in the four weeks leading to the Holiday Bowl, thinking his football career was basically over and knowing he needed foot surgery.

He’d come to the Gophers as a walk-on and played only sparingly as a third-string center. He was best known as quarterback Mitch Leidner’s younger brother.

But Monday morning, one day before the Holiday Bowl in San Diego, offensive line coach Bart Miller delivered surprising news. Starting center Tyler Moore had suffered a back injury. With No. 2 option Jared Weyler also injured, the Gophers suddenly needed Matt Leidner to start.

“I ate a couple big meals, trying to get some weight back on for the game,” Leidner said, chuckling. “But I don’t think it really helped.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...d-an-unexpected-role-in-final-game/408900845/

Go Gophers!!

:drink:

Great college football story. Leidner's 1-0 as battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He really did look small out there. Great finish. Who would have thought it?

The Leidner brothers & family: What a way to end a college career playing together on a winning bowl team!

Top Bottom